Wednesday Academy

39 minutes ago, Jim said:

7’s not many. Though I did read an interview with Haslam last week and he suggested there would be some fast tracking this season which isn’t a surprise TBH?

Gives the U18s a squad of 17-18  A couple of the pictured group, look big lads, so I’d be dubious that they’d just graduated from the U16s

Guest Smackavolley
12 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Gives the U18s a squad of 17-18  A couple of the pictured group, look big lads, so I’d be dubious that they’d just graduated from the U16s

You'll not see the younger lads on the profile page until the new kit arrives. The lads who got pros have been moved on the U23's page. U18's page still includes 2nd years who got released.

Apa

5 minutes ago, Smackavolley said:

You'll not see the younger lads on the profile page until the new kit arrives. The lads who got pros have been moved on the U23's page. U18's page still includes 2nd years who got released.

Apa

There’s a picture of the 7 on The Star site, during a photo shoot. Also, we are running the rule over someone called Tyger Smalls

Guest Smackavolley
21 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

There’s a picture of the 7 on The Star site, during a photo shoot. Also, we are running the rule over someone called Tyger Smalls

He looks decent. Name like that is easy to google 😄

58 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Any relation to Biggie?

Guest Smackavolley
On 11/08/2020 at 18:57, gurujuan said:

The Owls are delighted to welcome seven new first year scholars to the club who joined up with the Under-18s last week.

The group now begin their two-year scholarship with Wednesday.

Last week the Under-18s and Under-23s returned to Middlewood Road for stage one of pre-season training, which consisted of small groups to respect distancing regulations and focus on technical drills.

This week has seen the boys hit stage two where the youth players can train as a group, with contact.

The Under-18s will round off the week on Friday morning by taking part in a training game behind closed doors with Rotherham United at Sheffield Hallam.

Wonder if we'll get any updates on todays game? Be interesting to hear if they have anyone on trial. Only 7 scholars is a low intake for any club really unless they have some decent U16's coming through. Encouraging to see them bring in lads from Man City, Southampton and West Brom but to only bring through 4 lads through your own setup at this stage is pretty poor.

Think most of the 2nd years are local lads, so let's hope they have a good year. 

My lad is U14 age group. Plays for Sheffield boys so is considered amongst the best in the city. Was at uniteds shadow academy for a while but let him go as he wasn't working hard enough off the ball. They didn't actually tell him this while he was there, was just on the generic email they sent me when he was 'released'.

Wednesday run a similar type of thing, shadow squad where they can bring players in and have a look. We don't seem to do it like united do though. Our shadow squad seems to be the same players who have been there for ages. The Sheff boys team played them the other season and beat them by 15 or 16, we stopped counting to be fair. I would have thought every unattached player in that team would have been invited in to be looked at. I've tried to get them to have my lad come to sessions for a trial but they don't seem to be interested for some reason. Technically on the ball he is as good if not better than a lot of the players they have, so why wouldn't they want him? 

Obviously it's up to them but if we're trying to bring lads through surely you want to look at every one you can for a few weeks at least? 

As it stands, he's happy playing for one of the top Sunday teams and will probably go for Sheffield boys again this season. He's finally realised that it's not enough to be the best player on the pitch with the ball, he's also got to be a hard worker and put in 100% effort every game. He had fallen into the trap of thinking he was good enough to beat people without trying. I'd been telling him he needed to sort himself out for a while but obviously he doesn't listen to his dad, not many teenagers do. United binning him off hammered it home and he's a different player now. He knows at some point his chance will come, whether he takes it or not is down to him. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

My lad is U14 age group. Plays for Sheffield boys so is considered amongst the best in the city. Was at uniteds shadow academy for a while but let him go as he wasn't working hard enough off the ball. They didn't actually tell him this while he was there, was just on the generic email they sent me when he was 'released'.

Wednesday run a similar type of thing, shadow squad where they can bring players in and have a look. We don't seem to do it like united do though. Our shadow squad seems to be the same players who have been there for ages. The Sheff boys team played them the other season and beat them by 15 or 16, we stopped counting to be fair. I would have thought every unattached player in that team would have been invited in to be looked at. I've tried to get them to have my lad come to sessions for a trial but they don't seem to be interested for some reason. Technically on the ball he is as good if not better than a lot of the players they have, so why wouldn't they want him? 

Obviously it's up to them but if we're trying to bring lads through surely you want to look at every one you can for a few weeks at least? 

As it stands, he's happy playing for one of the top Sunday teams and will probably go for Sheffield boys again this season. He's finally realised that it's not enough to be the best player on the pitch with the ball, he's also got to be a hard worker and put in 100% effort every game. He had fallen into the trap of thinking he was good enough to beat people without trying. I'd been telling him he needed to sort himself out for a while but obviously he doesn't listen to his dad, not many teenagers do. United binning him off hammered it home and he's a different player now. He knows at some point his chance will come, whether he takes it or not is down to him. 

Sounds like we’re improving in some quarters but miles away in others?

We really need a DoF to sort out and oversee everything from Top to Bottom.

• Like 1

It’s interesting to read of people’s own experiences, when it comes to the academy set up, and there must be a few on here who’ve been part of the academy. I’ve always taken an interest in football at this level, and for many years, used to regularly watch our development sides. Nowadays, most of my information comes, either first hand, I now the father of one of the lads, or knowledgable posters on here. 
It’s difficult for me to compare what happens at other academies, because I have no real knowledge of how they work. My only insight into academies in general, comes from reading the stuff Scram posts, as he seems to have a good understanding of the mechanics of the academy system. 
My own thoughts about how our academy is changing, is that we now seem to be spreading the net further afield. Maybe there is just not the talent there locally? That’s sad, because Sheffield Boys have always been quite successful on a national scale, but very few, comparatively for a similar sized city, have gone on to become professionals. We bemoan our efforts in this field, but although United have been better than us, relatively few have come through either system. So where are they, they certainly aren’t getting picked up by the bigger clubs are they? I think the bigger question is, not why aren’t Wednesday producing local youngsters, but why isn’t Sheffield producing them

• Like 1

Guest Smackavolley
2 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

He's at the exact age where things need to click into place. Modern day football requires players to be athletes. There's exceptions but generally good physical attributes are a must. I've followed a few age groups and when it get's to the 'business' end a lot of the really talented boys have dropped out of the system. I'd say it's a complete waste of time to be at an academy before 13y or 14y old unless you are are in the top 1% ability wise.

All the best to your lad. Tell him to work hard and give it his best shot. Most of all, enjoy it.

On 10/08/2020 at 12:57, fingyfop said:

Do you know how long it takes to turn things around in an Academy?

Did you think Chansiri coming in and splashing a lot of cash was going to magically make lads who had been in our previous poo setup and weren't good enough for the team any better?

Hunt and Shaw are already a step up from any other youngsters (other than goalkeepers) who have come through since the Spurr and Beevers days, not that that's saying much.

By all accounts things are a lot better than they were 5 years ago, we'll see the proof (or not) in the next few years, but the quality of play from our U18s, is much higher than it was pre Chansiri.

Chansiri took over in 2015, lads who are 18 now would have been 13 when the changes took place.

That's a potential 6 years they spent at Wednesday before the changes were made, enough time for poorer coaching and facilities to affect the potential these players can reach.

It won't be until 2026 that we could have 18 year olds who have come all the way through the system but weren't involved with the previous underfunded setup.

Yes I do thank you. 

them players have been in the club long before this chairman. 

let me educate you, there are lads at the academy now at under 10 level that will not be here in 6 years. The way our club works is

get by with them until the bigger CAT1 clubs let players go and take them. 

remember our ex academy boss is now at Man City, please look back how many lads we have had from city in the last few years come into our academy. 

the level of coaching, recruitment and quality of players at the academy that are ‘home grown’ isn’t good enough. 

please tell me the last player we developed that turned a profit for us...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smackavolley said:

He's at the exact age where things need to click into place. Modern day football requires players to be athletes. There's exceptions but generally good physical attributes are a must. I've followed a few age groups and when it get's to the 'business' end a lot of the really talented boys have dropped out of the system. I'd say it's a complete waste of time to be at an academy before 13y or 14y old unless you are are in the top 1% ability wise.

All the best to your lad. Tell him to work hard and give it his best shot. Most of all, enjoy it.

Yeah we've had a chat with him and it seems to have started to click a bit more with him. All we've ever wanted is for him to enjoy it, possibly to his detriment cos we never pushed him like other parents do, touting him round etc. If it happens it happens, he's at a grass roots club that has a senior team so there's progression through if he wants it and is good enough. 

Honestly though, I don't know what academies look for half the time having seen players that are there compared to players that aren't. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Yes I do thank you. 

them players have been in the club long before this chairman. 

let me educate you, there are lads at the academy now at under 10 level that will not be here in 6 years

. The way our club works is

get by with them until the bigger CAT1 clubs let players go and take them. 

remember our ex academy boss is now at Man City, please look back how many lads we have had from city in the last few years come into our academy. 

the level of coaching, recruitment and quality of players at the academy that are ‘home grown’ isn’t good enough. 

please tell me the last player we developed that turned a profit for us...

Maybe focus on problems closer to home first, I'm really struggling to find a coherent point that has any relevance to what I posted.

We're trying to do both, obviously some of the current u10's won't be here in 6 years, that's the same for all clubs, but you're not going to produce a whole squad of first team players at once, it's about trying to get those 1 or 2 each year who can step up to first team level. 

Edited by Guest

12 hours ago, fingyfop said:

Maybe focus on problems closer to home first, I'm really struggling to find a coherent point that has any relevance to what I posted.

We're trying to do both, obviously some of the current u10's won't be here in 6 years, that's the same for all clubs, but you're not going to produce a whole squad of first team players at once, it's about trying to get those 1 or 2 each year who can step up to first team level. 

Closer to home? My whole point is about us developing our own players and not getting cast offs from City and other clubs. 

1 or 2 each year... you tell me who these 1 or 2 are we’ve developed who have made the step up? I want the years and the two players each year that have done well for the 1st team....

9 minutes ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

Closer to home? My whole point is about us developing our own players and not getting cast offs from City and other clubs. 

1 or 2 each year... you tell me who these 1 or 2 are we’ve developed who have made the step up? I want the years and the two players each year that have done well for the 1st team....

I don't you from Adam nor t'other fella but I think he said its about trying to get 1 or 2 not that we had?

Re; cast offs etc. I think most too clubs go round hoovering up talent from other clubs - hardly any if any at all top youth teams have full 11 from the local area which means other clubs best get taken and they have little choice than to look at "cast offs" of which the EPL and top end EFL is littered with 

2 hours ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

My whole point was that any changes you make take a number of years to ripple through and produce home grown players, and Hunt/Shaw (possibly a couple others) might be the first of them, we will see in the coming years.

Please read my posts again if it's still unclear for you.