Wednesday Academy

Guest Smackavolley
14 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

@SolihullOwl79 as much as it pains me to post this I wouldn't bother wasting yours and your sons time at our academy. If he has a talent then look at clubs closer by. They will probably provide better coaching and the travel will be closer. If your lad did train at Wednesday then he would probably have to be at Middlewood at 4.00pm until 7.00pm Tuesdays, day release on Wednesdays, Thursdays 4.00pm until 7.00pm and Saturday mornings. Don't neglect hid education and his social circle of friends. And don't be taken in by your blue and white spectacles because when you take them off you will see they couldn't organise a ******** up in a brewery and thats from direct experience.

This post more or less sums it up.

I would add that your lad is coming up to the optimum age to join an academy which is 14/15/16yo. 

If he’s playing regularly at a decent level, scouts will have seen him play from the local pro clubs down there.

Not sure if he’s still there but last I heard Miguel Llera was the academy manager at Walsall FC. He also had/has his own football academy in or around Sheffield.

Maybe look to contact him and check the possibilities. Top kids coach is Llera. No nonsense and says it like it is.

Good luck.

I’m hoping one day the penny might drop and we start to look to build from within and see the Academy as an important part of this but for this to stand an opportunity of happening, we probably need a Director of Football to oversee things and I’d be very surprised if this happens anytime soon?

• Like 2

When I was younger I just wrote to clubs. I explained my ambition to be a professional.  What my position was and who I played for. 

I had a trial Chesterfield fc for their center of excellence.  

But from my letters it started with just one scout turning up out of interest to the next minute I ended up having trials for Burnley. Had Southampton on the phone and an offer from staileybridge Celtic. 

So I'd reccomend letter writing or emails. 

2 hours ago, Jim said:

I’m hoping one day the penny might drop and we start to look to build from within and see the Academy as an important part of this but for this to stand an opportunity of happening, we probably need a Director of Football to oversee things and I’d be very surprised if this happens anytime soon?

Have we not improved on this in the years since Chansiri took over?

Other than what people put on here and the little the club puts out I don't have any other knowledge on how we're doing though.

But if we did make changes from the start of the Chansiri era then it would still be another 5 years until we had any lads in the u18's who had been with the club since the changes took place.

6 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

Other than what people put on here and the little the club puts out I don't have any other knowledge on how we're doing though.

But if we did make changes from the start of the Chansiri era then it would still be another 5 years until we had any lads in the u18's who had been with the club since the changes took place.

Of course we have improved we are just starting to see the possible fruits of our labour with the likes of Shaw hunt an grant and there's 1 or 2 just behind these I just wish people would take the time and go down and look at our academy before spouting rubbish

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

You might be right mate? I don’t know much about the set-up apart from what I read on here and in the local media. Opinion seems to still be split from it is improving to it’s still a bit of a shambles?

• Like 1

On 08/08/2020 at 15:35, SolihullOwl79 said:

Does anybody know how to go about getting a trial organised for the academy?

The chance of an S6 scout spotting my son is slim due to area we live in, let alone any scout from any club really as it's a lot down to luck of a scout turning up. 

An approach was made by Coventry a couple of years ago when he was 11, but at the time my ex (his mum) was splitting up with her then interfering spiteful partner (assistant coach on my son's team) and he told the scout my son wasn't ready. I asked the coach to get rid of the assistant in order for my lad to remain at the club as the assistant was being really vindictive to him. That was duly sanctioned! 

My lad is just turned 14 now. He plays on the right of a front 3. His team was top, not only unbeaten but won all their games and 6 points clear at the point of the season being abandoned in Central Warwickshire Youth League. He had scored 18 goals in 12 matches and something like 14 assists too. Previous season he was joint overall top scorer on 35 goals and top of the assists. He's got an eye for goal but he's not selfish going for glory if he see's somebody with a better opportunity. 

Although we live in the West Midlands/Warwickshire area, my son is very much a Wednesday fan simply because he sees my passion for them.

My younger son was/is very talented too and was scouted by Wolves and got into their academy trials in 2018 but when he didn't quite make the cut, he stopped playing and started on Fortnite instead where he's won a few hundred quid in competitions. It's a shame because he had size and speed on his side. He's 13 and already 5 ft 9 and was running in interschool and county athletics winning 400 metre by 40 metres. In addition he won High Jump, 200 metres and 2nd in 60m. An advantage over my elder son who is 5ft 7 and not quite as fast but very agile and fast footed on the ball. I hear a lot that some clubs turn down lads who aren't as tall- look at us with J Vardy for example. 

Any advice is much welcomed. 

ring the child recruitment officer ,I dealt with him for my lad , don't know whether it still works though but there was a rule that you have to live within 90 minutes travelling time of the ground  but keep persevering and eventually you will get scouts to come out but it has to be as near Sheffield as possible , we are at Skegness and were deemed to far away so he had the scouts out during a cup match at Gainsborough,  Best of luck , As they did not want to travel too far bless their little cotton socks  lol 

Edited by trevdi9

2 hours ago, Jim said:

You might be right mate? I don’t know much about the set-up apart from what I read on here and in the local media. Opinion seems to still be split from it is improving to it’s still a bit of a shambles?

set up was rubbish before Dave Jones and after, Scouts wouldn't travel past Gainsborough , and Methusala was younger than the one they sent to watch my lad lol

20 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

@SolihullOwl79 as much as it pains me to post this I wouldn't bother wasting yours and your sons time at our academy. If he has a talent then look at clubs closer by. They will probably provide better coaching and the travel will be closer. If your lad did train at Wednesday then he would probably have to be at Middlewood at 4.00pm until 7.00pm Tuesdays, day release on Wednesdays, Thursdays 4.00pm until 7.00pm and Saturday mornings. Don't neglect hid education and his social circle of friends. And don't be taken in by your blue and white spectacles because when you take them off you will see they couldn't organise a ******** up in a brewery and thats from direct experience.

100%With you with this , Ronnie 

• Like 1

Guest Grez Bez
6 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

set up was rubbish before Dave Jones and after, Scouts wouldn't travel past Gainsborough , and Methusala was younger than the one they sent to watch my lad lol

When I was a kid I played for the Blades (don't judge me)

We had s weekend at Skeggy Butlins aged 14/15 and played a team in Skeggy who hadn't lost for 5 years or so in their league.

We won 25-0. 

47 minutes ago, Grez Bez said:

When I was a kid I played for the Blades (don't judge me)

We had s weekend at Skeggy Butlins aged 14/15 and played a team in Skeggy who hadn't lost for 5 years or so in their league.

We won 25-0. 

lol my lad wasn't playing then , there are some crap teams though in Skeggy , 

Guest Grez Bez
2 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

lol my lad wasn't playing then , there are some crap teams though in Skeggy , 

It made me (and them I think) realise the difference in quality between areas. Sheffield has a very large catchment area 👌

2 hours ago, Grez Bez said:

It made me (and them I think) realise the difference in quality between areas. Sheffield has a very large catchment area 👌

Unfortunately for us we aren't as attractive as again pains me to post it United or Leeds. They do it much much better with a structure that's organised and professional. Our set up is a joke. I'm pleased Hunt Waldock and Shaw are on the periphery of the first team but they are now at an age where its make or break for them. I really hope they make it because if they don't then it will be another barren generation of players at the academy.

Both Leeds and Sheffield United are getting CAT 1 academies next season so recruitment gap that was before will get wider. 

We improved a lot last few years, but it is hard to feel positive after all their late investment in their set up, their record of developing young talent and giving them chance at first team level. 

We have couple of good players coming through and I'm afraid long time will pass since we get another as talented bunch coming through. 

7 hours ago, trevdi9 said:

ring the child recruitment officer ,I dealt with him for my lad , don't know whether it still works though but there was a rule that you have to live within 90 minutes travelling time of the ground  but keep persevering and eventually you will get scouts to come out but it has to be as near Sheffield as possible , we are at Skegness and were deemed to far away so he had the scouts out during a cup match at Gainsborough,  Best of luck , As they did not want to travel too far bless their little cotton socks  lol 

The within 90 minutes thing is an FA rule, I wouldn't blame the club too much for that.

3 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

just saying how it was . incidentally villa were willing to take him and that was miles further away , 

Oh right ok, would he have had to move nearer to Villa to be allowed to sign for them?

I think a lot of clubs (especially at top division level) do that so they're within the rules.

EDIT: Just checked rule is for u16's so if he was older no issues I guess

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, fingyfop said:

Oh right ok, would he have had to move nearer to Villa to be allowed to sign for them?

I think a lot of clubs (especially at top division level) do that so they're within the rules.

if it had gone through(my ex turned it down and I didn't know at the time she was  offered a house They took a lad from Stuttgart also and out of 42 hopefuls  him and my lad were the only two chosen ,,he wanted to play for dads team  (swfc) got him a trial against Blacburn where  played him at right mid , He was spotted as a cb and a damn good one apparently  , a defender nearly took his legs off  was out for two months the club never phoned or asked about his welfare , coach told us at the time he would get 6/7 games to see his worth , never got them  ,  loads more to it , and so much so he refuses scouts when they come now as he is happy playing local with his mates , but it is in the past and we move on

Edited by trevdi9

Unless you live in the city Wednesday don’t want to know. Stopped scouting outside of Sheffield. The recruitment team haven’t got a clue and the proof is there on how many regulars we bring through. It needs ripping up and starting again. 

@SolihullOwl79 if I was you look closer to home, it’s not worth the time and effort. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, malek said:

Both Leeds and Sheffield United are getting CAT 1 academies next season so recruitment gap that was before will get wider. 

We improved a lot last few years, but it is hard to feel positive after all their late investment in their set up, their record of developing young talent and giving them chance at first team level. 

We have couple of good players coming through and I'm afraid long time will pass since we get another as talented bunch coming through. 

As a club we have had the opportunity to lay the foundations for an excellent academy set up. Our chairman could have built a new training ground and recruited a coaching team and scouts fir for purpose. Instead we slumber along with some deluded arrogance that we are some attractive proposition that will attract the talent by waiting for it to come to us. But we cant compete with United and Leeds let alone Man City and Man Utd who regularly scout on our patch. The likes of Forest, Derby, Barnsley are also scouting on our patch and have far better facilities than we have. Our set up is pitiful.

• Like 2