Wednesday Academy

Does anybody know how to go about getting a trial organised for the academy?

The chance of an S6 scout spotting my son is slim due to area we live in, let alone any scout from any club really as it's a lot down to luck of a scout turning up. 

An approach was made by Coventry a couple of years ago when he was 11, but at the time my ex (his mum) was splitting up with her then interfering spiteful partner (assistant coach on my son's team) and he told the scout my son wasn't ready. I asked the coach to get rid of the assistant in order for my lad to remain at the club as the assistant was being really vindictive to him. That was duly sanctioned! 

My lad is just turned 14 now. He plays on the right of a front 3. His team was top, not only unbeaten but won all their games and 6 points clear at the point of the season being abandoned in Central Warwickshire Youth League. He had scored 18 goals in 12 matches and something like 14 assists too. Previous season he was joint overall top scorer on 35 goals and top of the assists. He's got an eye for goal but he's not selfish going for glory if he see's somebody with a better opportunity. 

Although we live in the West Midlands/Warwickshire area, my son is very much a Wednesday fan simply because he sees my passion for them.

My younger son was/is very talented too and was scouted by Wolves and got into their academy trials in 2018 but when he didn't quite make the cut, he stopped playing and started on Fortnite instead where he's won a few hundred quid in competitions. It's a shame because he had size and speed on his side. He's 13 and already 5 ft 9 and was running in interschool and county athletics winning 400 metre by 40 metres. In addition he won High Jump, 200 metres and 2nd in 60m. An advantage over my elder son who is 5ft 7 and not quite as fast but very agile and fast footed on the ball. I hear a lot that some clubs turn down lads who aren't as tall- look at us with J Vardy for example. 

Any advice is much welcomed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bladeshater said:

Not being ackward pal but would you be willing to travel 2-3 times a week for training

Apparently they do have host families for promising youths. 

But i do have lots of family in Sheffield who I'm sure would be supportive and let him stay with them. 

8 minutes ago, SolihullOwl79 said:

Apparently they do have host families for promising youths. 

But i do have lots of family in Sheffield who I'm sure would be supportive and let him stay with them. 

No problems just looking back at some of the problems my lad had and I live in Sheffield training a couple of times a week straight after school then school holidays 2-3 times a week mid morning I had to rely greatly on favours of parents but I hope it works out well 

Having coached kids football for many years and seen boys go to pro youth and back again, I would not be in any rush to get into a academy at 14. Kids go through a huge physical change in the next couple of years, remember it has to be fun and kids have to want it . Have you thought to try and get him into a youth set up of an established non league team? They usually will look to bring youth through and if he’s still playing at 17-18 there is a good chance he would get a platform to shine if he has that ability,

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, JC_owl66 said:

Having coached kids football for many years and seen boys go to pro youth and back again, I would not be in any rush to get into a academy at 14. Kids go through a huge physical change in the next couple of years, remember it has to be fun and kids have to want it . Have you thought to try and get him into a youth set up of an established non league team? They usually will look to bring youth through and if he’s still playing at 17-18 there is a good chance he would get a platform to shine if he has that ability,

Local non-league youth setup will be the way to go for the next couple of years, no question. Easier on you, easier on your kids, and not being funny but I doubt the coaching at Wednesday's academy will be too far ahead of what you could get at a decent local setup. Regarding moving academies, if you go non-league and then they want to hypothetically move to Wednesday's academy a couple of years later, Wednesday wouldn't have to pay any fee either if I recall correctly.

7 minutes ago, JC_owl66 said:

Id agree with this, plus given your area, I'd stay as local as possible. Puts a huge strain on everything. 

Locally Wednesdays academy isn't the best. Personally I think Mansfields is brilliant. 

I'm sure there is a limit travel wise for different ages, I know its 1 hour from home in my lads age group. It rises though. 

Edited by Maddogbob

9 minutes ago, JC_owl66 said:

Yes he plays for an established team Warwickshire leagues that goes all the way up to u18 then open ages. 

Locally there is Solihull Moors which his strike partner at his current team also plays for on a Saturday. 

Like you say though, the main thing at the moment is he loves playing. 

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Maddogbob said:

Id agree with this, plus given your area, I'd stay as local as possible. Puts a huge strain on everything. 

Locally Wednesdays academy isn't the best. Personally I think Mansfields is brilliant. 

I'm sure there is a limit travel wise for different ages, I know its 1 hour from home in my lads age group. It rises though. 

Mansfield will be starting their first season as a cat 3 academy when lockdown is over upto now it's only been a grassroots Sunday team 

Just now, Donny El said:

Mansfield will be starting their first season as a cat 3 academy when lockdown is over upto now it's only been a grassroots Sunday team 

Yeah I know buddy, really nice set up down there, been a couple of times for a trial and the etc at u8 level. 

No quite good enough for the academy my lad, could have gone to the etc, but with possibly moving we've decided to chill with football, nice couple of visits though. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Do they do old fashioned trials these days?

Yeah normally they get picked up in games for training trials or decent grassroots teams get invited to play the academy teams. 

Think my lad did about 4 last year with his Saturday team (which he's now left) 

Edited by Maddogbob

@SolihullOwl79 as much as it pains me to post this I wouldn't bother wasting yours and your sons time at our academy. If he has a talent then look at clubs closer by. They will probably provide better coaching and the travel will be closer. If your lad did train at Wednesday then he would probably have to be at Middlewood at 4.00pm until 7.00pm Tuesdays, day release on Wednesdays, Thursdays 4.00pm until 7.00pm and Saturday mornings. Don't neglect hid education and his social circle of friends. And don't be taken in by your blue and white spectacles because when you take them off you will see they couldn't organise a ******** up in a brewery and thats from direct experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3