Wednesday Academy

9 minutes ago, scram said:

I don't doubt what you are saying or have experience of but if we do not have a GK coach for the younger kids we are not fulfilling the mandatory criteria to be a cat 2 academy

And the latest 2 stage audit of academies is much more stringent than previous

That was my experience. I guess it has changed in recent times but it was disgraceful the way they let youngsters down at the academy. A player not being good enough is acceptable but the academy not providing the basic resources to give a youngster every opportunity to develop is scandalous. If it had been a school OFSTED would have shut it down.

Guest Grez Bez
16 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

That was my experience. I guess it has changed in recent times but it was disgraceful the way they let youngsters down at the academy. A player not being good enough is acceptable but the academy not providing the basic resources to give a youngster every opportunity to develop is scandalous. If it had been a school OFSTED would have shut it down.

What year is this?

Guest Grez Bez
21 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

On what evidence?

Was in your lad / grandkid at the academy between those years?

1 hour ago, Grez Bez said:

Was in your lad / grandkid at the academy between those years?

He was. Sometimes we were waiting for a text on a Saturday evening for details and arrangements of the game the following day. It was quite embarrassing to think that the Sunday league team he previously played for was far better organised and run than a Category 2 professional football team academy.

Guest Smackavolley
53 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

He was. Sometimes we were waiting for a text on a Saturday evening for details and arrangements of the game the following day. It was quite embarrassing to think that the Sunday league team he previously played for was far better organised and run than a Category 2 professional football team academy.

Many Sunday teams are better organised. Pitch availability is a nightmare for the younger age groups. Most fixtures are played away.

Your earlier point about paying for kit and trips. In my experience, the club have always supplied kit and paid for trips. Maybe 10 years ago it was different but not now. 

3 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

On what evidence?

On the evidence I walked round I knew some of the coaches and staff working there 6 years ago and barring the last few months I visit regularly the same complex and see the changes that have been made with the coaches and the infrastructure

21 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

On the evidence I walked round I knew some of the coaches and staff working there 6 years ago and barring the last few months I visit regularly the same complex and see the changes that have been made with the coaches and the infrastructure

Its still miles behind just about every other academy.

Just now, bladeshater said:

So you have visited every other academy interesting

I've been to

Man City

Man Utd

Leicester

Newcastle

Sunderland

Barnsley

Derby

Forest

Leeds

Everton

United

Huddersfield

Middlesbrough

The majority within our scouting patch and all were much better than ours. Our senior coaches were often reluctant to make the long trips and instead opted for the home games. While teams visiting us would come with a goalkeeping coach to warm up their keepers while we were lucky if the keeper coach could be bothered to turn up to the home games.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I've been to

Man City

Man Utd

Leicester

Newcastle

Sunderland

Barnsley

Derby

Forest

Leeds

Everton

United

Huddersfield

Middlesbrough

The majority within our scouting patch and all were much better than ours. Our senior coaches were often reluctant to make the long trips and instead opted for the home games. While teams visiting us would come with a goalkeeping coach to warm up their keepers while we were lucky if the keeper coach could be bothered to turn up to the home games.

We don’t scout out of Sheffield at junior level. 

we get approached by CAT 1 teams when they are getting let go for ‘exit trials’ 

we have no active scouts within the academy set up outside of Sheffield. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WORKSOP_OWL said:

We don’t scout out of Sheffield at junior level. 

we get approached by CAT 1 teams when they are getting let go for ‘exit trials’ 

we have no active scouts within the academy set up outside of Sheffield. 

I appreciate they have far more money and resources but Man City have over 50 just in Yorkshire headed up by one of our former scouts. A mate of mine used to scout for us in West Yorkshire but packed it in as it was more hassle trying to get his expenses and club attire.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I appreciate they have far more money and resources but Man City have over 50 just in Yorkshire headed up by one of our former scouts. A mate of mine used to scout for us in West Yorkshire but packed it in as it was more hassle trying to get his expenses and club attire.

They have a development centre in Barnsley and of lads impress there they get invited to their academy. 

our whole set up is wrong 

On 16/08/2020 at 11:35, Ronnie Starling said:

I was rung up at 11pm to get him to Blackburn for 11 am the next morning , good job he was in Sheff for a few days at his aunts on the cross 

• Like 1