Sheffield Wednesday social media

2 hours ago, YesWeCrann said:

I completely agree! Since my arrival I've done interviews with guys like Mark Pembridge, Drew Talbot, Tony Meola etc. And Alex has done a lot of interviews with former players as well.

I've also started a regular monthly feature where I speak to well-known Owls fans about their SWFC story. Did Pete McKee last month and there's an interview with Sky's Sophy Ridge coming up tomorrow. I've also done a piece on Wednesday's 1992 trip to South Africa that's coming up.

Obviously there's a lot of football happening now, but there will be plenty of retro stuff from me and Alex during the offseason.

That's really good to hear.

I'll clearly have to check out The Star website again, then!

I'll be honest - I gave up on it a few years ago once the ads and pop-ups became unbearable - it used to crash my iPad!

It sounds like you're making great strides in improving the content, which is inevitably what will pull people back in once word gets around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YesWeCrann said:

The chat room idea could be an interesting one, I'll certainly bring it up.

As for the wage thing, there's definitely something in it because it's been acknowledged by Monk. Doesn't seem to be an issue though, could just be an admin mistake even.

There also used to be a good comments section On every  article in the star, now you have to register and log in, and the comments section isn't there on most stories now. 

I'd like to see a bit more investigative journalism. 

Football is in a dire state, theres a huge disconnect between fans, clubs and organisations around football. Its not SWFC, but more easily accessible reporting on the institutions like the Sheffield FA and its power, how its managed, its key figures and also more time given to smaller clubs too. They need all the support they can get. If The Star can in any way drive fundraising for grants/donations to grassroots that would be positive. 

For SWFC I don't want tonnes of filler articles and clickbait stories. Just thorough reporting and tough questions where its needed, and no accepting of cliche answers. Just a good, measured questioning where appropriate. 

Also as everyone else has referred to, the Star's website is a joke. As people have mentioned, its one of the worst websites for adverts, pop-ups, speed, crashing browsers. It just doesn't make me want to spend time on there or buy any form of subscription. 

Guest Ronson

That's a tough gig you've landed yourself there mate.

People want the news about anything these days more or less instantly. As a fan the first point of call for news is on here and not the Star, Official site or Radio Sheffield. The rise of social media is certainly hammering nails into the coffin of local rags.

Making the Star more accessible would be a start, like others have said, as soon as you click they're wanting you to sign up and yes, I understand you've got to get some money in from somewhere. I don't even bother at all now even trying to look.

How do you get people to buy something they already have or have access to? That's not going to happen is it so you're asking for ideas of what people would buy whilst realising there's not an abundance of material to be mined.

Did you mention an after game fans type forum? That would be good I'd think.

Also, I quite like some of these youtube videos of young people getting ready for the game and then going for a beer and doing a bit of coverage during the game and a bit of a post match report.

Also, a few interviews with fans right outside the ground after the game to capture the mood immediately after a win, loss or draw.

History-  Dunsby (IIRC) on here has a wealth of the clubs history at hand and he's always posting something or other from the clubs past so an occasional article on the clubs history might be an Idea.

What about the staff at Hillsborough? Are they off limits? A day in the life of a programme sell or that bloke who keeps trying to sell me raffle tickets.

Then you have the Chairman as well. Get yourself a flight to Swampy as we'd like to know a lot more about his family and his businesses and who actually owns us and where does the money keep coming from.

What about the flood defences and a chat with the groundsman and the chances of a recurrence of the flooding we saw.

The stadium, where are we with regards to capacity and SAG now and where it's all heading.

What about the development of the old Wednesdayite car park, heard rumours and that but what exactly is happening over there.

Be good to get some sort of organogram out of the club as well, love to know who runs the show and how it all links together.

And what about food and drink inside and outside the ground on match days.

Yes I know we have a pandemic on at the moment and that I wasn't much help but at least I tried.

Edited by Ronson

This has been an interesting read. There are some good ideas within it. Ronson makes some good points above, and room was good about the Green Un, whilst Are not makes a very good point of going for unusual angles outside the club, it’s essential to go inside the club, but by its very nature it will be controlled, corporate and rarely sensational. I am from the generation who read the Green Un every week, when I lived away from Sheffield my parents even sent it me, but those days are gone. I rate Sophy Ridge as a top political journalist, I was shocked, given her accent, that she supports Wednesday, and intrigued by it. I really want to know how it happened. But my first reaction was to google her and find out if it’s true. It is, well done, I would still like to know how a Kingston on Thames Grammar school girl supports Wednesday, but don’t get the Star, I wish it well, and it’s great to have a Wednesdayite report on Wednesday, but am not convinced that daily local papers can survive. Anyway it will be all the more interesting the next time Sophy catches out Johnson!

7 hours ago, YesWeCrann said:

I completely agree! Since my arrival I've done interviews with guys like Mark Pembridge, Drew Talbot, Tony Meola etc. And Alex has done a lot of interviews with former players as well.

I've also started a regular monthly feature where I speak to well-known Owls fans about their SWFC story. Did Pete McKee last month and there's an interview with Sky's Sophy Ridge coming up tomorrow. I've also done a piece on Wednesday's 1992 trip to South Africa that's coming up.

Obviously there's a lot of football happening now, but there will be plenty of retro stuff from me and Alex during the offseason.

When’s the special with Kim Olsen coming out? 

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-07-03 at 12.44.26.jpg

This morning all the press conference was tweeted out by the Star for free

Yeah but I’ve watched the whole thing on YouTube.
It’s been there since this afternoon.
Anybody with an internet connection can watch that for free.

Guest Grez Bez

Id like to see a bunch of good journalists break in away from the star and create their own website.

The journalism at the Star is great but the website) user experience is so so bad

They don't deserve you quite honestly

Guest thetallowl

Agree the Star web site is just awful. I don’t touch the news paper anymore because of how bad the content is, which means I hardly ever read anything swfc related from that source. The web site is just unusable on mobile and I just don’t trust what I read anymore.

On a positive... we get a good laugh out of the Star in our house now and again e.g. the 3 thirds not going to pubs was a good one.

3 minutes ago, thetallowl said:

Agree the Star web site is just awful. I don’t touch the news paper anymore because of how bad the content is, which means I hardly ever read anything swfc related from that source. The web site is just unusable on mobile and I just don’t trust what I read anymore.

On a positive... we get a good laugh out of the Star in our house now and again e.g. the 3 thirds not going to pubs was a good one.

The Sheffield Wednesday content is currently the best it's ever been

Owlstalk Shop

Guest thetallowl

Possibly - but associated with the star just knocks it off the radar for me. As I said; poor web site on mobile and the low quality elsewhere just drags it down. But that’s my opinion.

Just now, thetallowl said:

Possibly - but associated with the star just knocks it off the radar for me. As I said; poor web site on mobile and the low quality elsewhere just drags it down. But that’s my opinion.

I don't disagree with you

The Star's website is pretty much the very worst on the entire internet - and that's no exaggeration

Owlstalk Shop

Guest thetallowl

FYI - even the pay wall is a joke. Load the article and put your phone in airplane mode. Pay wall disappears!