Monk on Lyle Taylor

“It’s a difficult situation. As a manager, you know why they’re (refusing to play). But in terms of your thinking about that player, a lot of it comes down to character.

“Maybe that would put a doubt in your mind when going after that player. In recruitment, the main side of it is what he can bring to your team. But there’s a big thing on the character side and you’re looking for traits in players.”

You can see it from both perspectives, but with the situation Charlton are in, I'd have to agree with Monk here. We have had too many of that type of player over the last five years and one positive of Monk's time here is that he is making a real effort to transform the character of the squad.

His words are subtle and but the message is clear. This surely rules us out of the race. Even if we were interested, a player would never sign for a manager that has publically criticised him before even coming?

https://sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/that-puts-doubt-in-your-mind-garry-monk-explains-why-sheff-wed-soured-on-signing-30-y-o/

Guest wilyfox

We need to bring the average age down and sign robust players, not another 30yr-old that has spent half this season on the sidelines with knee & thigh problems. Biggest contract probably gets him, and I don't want us to be the ones offering it. 

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

This is what I dislike most about Monk, apart from the rapidly deteriorating football pre-lockdown. He always has to make his opinion known about every single player/manager. Why did he need to say this about Lyle Taylor? Why not just say “good player, but not one we’re looking to bring in”. 

Yes, I’m aware of the irony in my comment!

44 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

This is what I dislike most about Monk, apart from the rapidly deteriorating football pre-lockdown. He always has to make his opinion known about every single player/manager. Why did he need to say this about Lyle Taylor? Why not just say “good player, but not one we’re looking to bring in”. 

Yes, I’m aware of the irony in my comment!

Wasn't he asked about it. Probably a bit of a dig at some of our players in that aswell.

At Lyle Taylor's age, this is his chance to get himself the kind of contract that could set him up for life (should he invest wisely).

He gets himself injured between now and the end of this season then that hope for him is over.

He's putting himself and his family in front of his current employer and anyone that would put his current employer first in that situation has got weird priorities.

Of course, it's easy for Monk to comment on Lyle Taylor when Monk will have few money worries having no doubt become a wealthy man off the back of his time with Swansea in the Prem.

16 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

I'm not too fussed with the age of players whilst we're in the Championship. 

If they can give us one or two seasons, enough to get us into the Premiership. 

They will be discarded anyway.

Agreed within reason, especially if available on a free. 

18 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

I'm not too fussed with the age of players whilst we're in the Championship. 

If they can give us one or two seasons, enough to get us into the Premiership. 

They will be discarded anyway.

Because that's worked really well

I wouldn’t be too worried about his age, but would be a bit concerned with his recent injuries He’s younger than Fletcher, and we will need a sprinkling of experience, but I agree, the main thrust of our recruitment drive should be based around younger players

There were a few clubs interested in him when it was known earlier in the year that Taylor wouldn't be signing a new contract, but I think in the current circumstances his options might be reduced.

I doubt a Premier League club will take a chance on him and any top end championship clubs might be holding fire now until this season pans out.

It could be that big contract he was hoping for might not be there anymore.