Footballers and money

Should be mandatory that every youth player is given an Audi R8 upon signing their first professional contract. The budget for this should come from the taxpayers. This will ensure that they don’t fall behind their peers and then potentially suffer from mental health issues the poor little lambs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chris Apolon said:

I would argue players in the lower leagues (league 2 level and below) have far higher outgoings than the average person too though. Imagine playing for a team in London, rent/mortgage ain't going to be cheap

Do normal people in London not have to pay rent/mortgage then? 

Absolutely no reason for a league 2 footballer living in London to have higher outgoings than me.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, londonowl said:

Absolutely no reason for a league 2 footballer living in London to have higher outgoings than me.

According to this report a couple of years ago, the average League 2 salary is 3 times that of the average for the fans watching them. 

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/how-wages-your-football-club-1562036

They also have access to education and a professional union that are well funded and extremely active for their members.

17 minutes ago, londonowl said:

A subsequent post I put said that people living in and around London are also very close to financial problems when faced with a change in circumstances so of course they do. 

The topic is about footballers finances though and how the often mismanage their budgets which is my point. 

No reason for their outgoings to be higher doesn't mean that it won't be due to not managing their finances, much like those in any other line of work.

It shouldn't be underestimated that keeping up with the Jones is a big part of the island mentality that is the UK.

You don't get that abroad, for example I live in a street with 400-500k houses, but one next door neighbour has a Citroen Berlingo and the other a Nissan Juke.

I'm the only daft get with a Merc, just so I'm not embarrassed when I visit family and friends back home.......to be fair I did pay cash.lol

When I started my first job back in 1996 i was on £100 a week. I lived within my means, I spent 7 years working a 40+ hour week and going to night school to get my qualification.

if you want the money work for it.

I got one, am sick of the society now. Where everyone has to be wrapped up in cotton wool because they don't have the brains to think for themselves. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Weshallovercome said:

It shouldn't be underestimated that keeping up with the Jones is a big part of the island mentality that is the UK.

You don't get that abroad, for example I live in a street with 400-500k houses, but one next door neighbour has a Citroen Berlingo and the other a Nissan Juke.

I'm the only daft get with a Merc, just so I'm not embarrassed when I visit family and friends back home.......to be fair I did pay cash.lol

He says before going on to mention his half a million pound house and flash car! WTF:

37 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

According to this report a couple of years ago, the average League 2 salary is 3 times that of the average for the fans watching them. 

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/how-wages-your-football-club-1562036

They also have access to education and a professional union that are well funded and extremely active for their members.

Average ain't necessarily the median , especially in a football club. To be fair, Neal's article specifically talked about u-23s who might well be on 'normal' (for us) wages...

1 minute ago, Dooogs said:

Average ain't necessarily the median , especially in a football club. To be fair, Neal's article specifically talked about u-23s who might well be on 'normal' (for us) wages...

And accordingly the average wage for an under 23 in other walks of life will also be lower than the general average.

Why do we need to highlight or have an understanding of this issue for young footballers specifically anymore than is the case for a young lad going into the world of work in general? 

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Whataboutery

The new evil of modern day conversation

It has been around for a long time, not sure what your point is, or what your point was in the opening post highlighting the troubled world of an under 23 footballer and they way they are sent down an inevitable route of spiraling debt due to mickey taking peers?

3 hours ago, handworth52 said:

well that reminds me of someone , booze,cigs,clothes flash phone ,ipads and loads of other stuff 1st , rent , gas electric rent bus pass last ,and then don't have money to pay the most important stuff. think they all need an hour a week at 13year old plus to be taught about money and getting there priorities right .

Watched a programme the other day about people on the dole. There was a married couple been married 30 years and neither of them had ever worked. She had been diagnosed as agoraphobic aged 15 so couldn't go out. Except for once a week with her husband to bingo. She said  It was her therapy.

• Haha 1

I have zero sympathy for any footballer past or present who gets themselves in debt 

If they are stupid enough to spend beyond their means then you have to face the penality 

Just now, WelshOwl74 said:

I have zero sympathy for any footballer past or present who gets themselves in debt 

If they are stupid enough to spend beyond their means then you have to face the penality 

Humans 2020 - wrapped up in one two sentence post ladies and gentlemen

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

10 hours ago, scram said:

Not only do players get plenty of top notch financial advice - they also get generous discounts on plenty of products courtesy of the PFA

The problem is that young players may be on a 2 year contract but take a 3-4 year lease on a car

Fine for the first couple of years but then they may find themselves out of the professional game and no longer able to afford the car

But if hey are that way inclined they won't be told

Gucci backpaks at £1k a pop etc

It is sad that so many young players want the trappings of being "a player" before they ever become a player

And the majority don't ever become players

This is true and is also true for a lot of young lads who don't play football. 

It's infiltrated the youth completely, and it's mostly down to Instagram. Mike Ashley said kids now 'wear their wealth', he's wrong, they wear money they simply do not have. 

It's actually quite sad. 

• Like 1

Just now, Owls2k said:

This is true and is also true for a lot of young lads who don't play football. 

It's infiltrated the youth completely, and it's mostly down to Instagram. Mike Ashley said kids now 'wear their wealth', he's wrong, they wear money they simply do not have. 

It's actually quite sad. 

This is quite accurate

We've gone from a nation that never spent a penny and saved up to buy stuff, to what we have now, a generation of kids who have nothing, are spending what they don't have, and don't care  (yet)

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop