Michael Vaughan speaks out about Sheffield Wednesday

Lost abit of respect for Vaughan the other week. Was a guest on UndrTheCosh live and when they did a Wednesday quiz he was baffled to find out we’d won the FA Cup! How a Wednesdayite wouldn’t know that is beyond me! 

4 hours ago, Miffed said:

We’ve tried the strategy of spending big on experienced players and that didn’t work. We came close for a couple of seasons and now with FFP and the majority of the squad out of contract soon, we have to reset and start over with a new strategy. 

Developing youth players is absolutely the way to go but it should have been the case years ago. When was the last time we sold a player from the development squad for any considerable value?

When was the last time we brought in a lower league player and sold them on for a considerable profit? 

It would be interesting to know what the strategy is for the future of the club. For me the key thing is bringing in support for the first team manager and experienced people running things behind the scenes.

Chris Brunt?.

Anyhoo, I agree with Vaughn and we should be looking at what Dem Blunts are doing, have been doing for the last 2 decades, and we should have been doing over the same length of time and before.

What money we have should be spent equally between the 1st team squad and the academy/Development side of the club, improve the Coaching/Coaches, decide on a playing philosophy and play it throughout the clubs teams.

If we bring a player don't just chuck him into the 1st team, play him in the Dev squad until he can fit the style of play, not the other way around.

Edited by adelphi1867

3 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Is their a Rota of "celebrity" owls fans that they are using to have a pop at the club..next up let's run a poll on who puts the boot in next!

Amazing how they can have anything but praise for how well run Wednesday have been. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sherlyegg said:

Agree with nearly all what he says, except monk ain't the man to play 'risky football'

He might set up differently if he had players he'd bought in himself, had confidence in or carried out his instructions.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, WelshOwl74 said:

United are light years ahead of us when it comes to the academy 

Projuced players like Brook, maguire, walker 

We've had Liam Palmer the most success in the last 20 odd years

No disrespect to Liam but it's embarrassing in the difference in quality 

If you was a young lad who had no attachment to either club 

You'd look at the record of both clubs bringing through youngsters, developing them and playing them in the first team 

We are lightyears behind 

You are right, Utd are miles ahead on the academy approach and that's one of the main points Vaughan makes and one of the things we should take away.

It's not just about which team a young lad might choose, its about the work that goes into choosing. My lad plays for a team in the north side of the city, Wednesday fans outnumber Utd fans in the squad but it is Utd scouts/academy staff that have actively been out to watch their games and invite players to training sessions.

Generally in terms of first team performance though, the main thing they have got right is finally dropping on the perfect manager for them. They have retained a few of the team that were failing for years in the 3rd division and have bungled along with boardroom issues off the field, financially resolved by reaching the riches of the PL - thanks to Wilder.

I don't agree with Vaughan on giving Monk more time, if you've got the wrong man you need to cut short the agony. Jos looked like the wrong man from the start, improved a little and some of the fan base felt it was worth giving him more time, all that did was waste the following season which was half done by the time we cut loose.

6 hours ago, Miffed said:

Developing youth players is absolutely the way to go but it should have been the case years ago. When was the last time we sold a player from the development squad for any considerable value? 

When was the last time we brought in a lower league player and sold them on for a considerable profit? 

George Hirst 

:ph34r:

And 

Chris Bart Williams? 

:biggrin:

Edited by Road Runner

3 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

You’re going to tell me that they haven’t been aren’t you? 😉

I think the issue is probably that people find it a surprise that ex players and pundits have a negative opinion and for some reason some believe they shouldn't have the right to voice such an opinion.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, airborne_rat_of_s6 said:

David Blunkett’s guide dog Sadie is next up talking about possible summer transfer moves. 😂

Sounds ruff but we have been barking up the wrong tree in the transfer market for some time! :bullen:

4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I think the issue is probably that people find it a surprise that ex players and pundits have a negative opinion and for some reason some believe they shouldn't have the right to voice such an opinion.

I’m not surprised and they obviously are entitled to an opinion but with the exception of Waddle a lot of the ex-players with a negative opinion didn’t really cut it here. For instance Newsome was hardly Beckenbauer was he?

7 hours ago, Miffed said:

We’ve tried the strategy of spending big on experienced players and that didn’t work.

We didn't really try the strategy though, did we? What we did was spunk money down the drain, by signing players who wouldn't even make it onto the team. Between the playoff final and the playoffs the following year, how much did the first team squad change?

I wouldn't equate chucking money down the drain on random players with making a calculated effort to sign experience and quality

Edited by bobness

3 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I’m not surprised and they obviously are entitled to an opinion but with the exception of Waddle a lot of the ex-players with a negative opinion didn’t really cut it here. For instance Newsome was hardly Beckenbauer was he?

I haven't cut it as a player for SWFC but as a supporter who watches the club regularly I am entitled to an opinion. Nobody has to agree with what they have to say but don't cut them down for having a view as long as they aren't being vindictive or abusive.

Not sure how good they were as a player is any basis for judging their opinion. 

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, NeonLeon said:

Lost abit of respect for Vaughan the other week. Was a guest on UndrTheCosh live and when they did a Wednesday quiz he was baffled to find out we’d won the FA Cup! How a Wednesdayite wouldn’t know that is beyond me! 

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!

Edited by bobness

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Pundit hating taken to a new level of madness here folks...

You’re overeacting here aren’t you? As I’ve said many times before everyone’s entitled to an opinion. I think apart from the Monk bit, Michael Vaughan’s spot on, so I don’t go out to diss pundits at every opportunity. I just think some of the views from some pundits are a bit too negative at times and not too constructive.

Waiting for your next reply, saying that I’m wrong again? 😛