Englands 2022 world cup bid

Wasn’t Hillsborough one of the planned host stadiums within our bid? I seem to recall some videos/pictures that included a potential re generation of the ground. Does anyone have access? Any other information and memories would be appreciated. 

Just curious that’s all.. Can really tell Lockdown is taking its toll! 

13 hours ago, jamsandwich said:

You’ve misremembered. It was actually Bramall Lane that was part of the 2018 World Cup bid. 

here’s the promo video they made

That was them thinking that the lane was suddenly a better ground than Hillsborough because they'd put some red cladding over their worst bits. 

Hillsborough was actually chosen as a potential venue by the FA ahead of them, at which point they all started crying, McSue threatened to sue (again) and their fans later actually celebrated their own country failing to be chosen to host the World Cup just because there'd have been games at Hillsborough. Which sums them up really. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, alanharper said:

That was them thinking that the lane was suddenly a better ground than Hillsborough because they'd put some red cladding over their worst bits. 

Hillsborough was actually chosen as a potential venue by the FA ahead of them, at which point they all started crying, McSue threatened to sue (again) and their fans later actually celebrated their own country failing to be chosen to host the World Cup just because there'd have been games at Hillsborough. Which sums them up really. 

All of this is true. I worked with pigs who were openly celebrating when we lost the world cup bid.

Wasn’t Lee Strafford’s plan to redevelop the west stand and kop with giant archway supports and some sort of community centres incorporated for the 2018 World Cup?

I seem to remember that United had their bid centred around building a hotel, but their bid was dumped at an early stage, cue bitching from McCabe.

Another strange thing I remember is that that Barnsley Council in an act of parochialism had posters installed on lamp posts saying “we’re backing the Leeds bid”

14 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Wasn’t Hillsborough one of the planned host stadiums within our bid? I seem to recall some videos/pictures that included a potential re generation of the ground. Does anyone have access? Any other information and memories would be appreciated. 

It was but that was the 2018 World Cup not the 2022

14 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

13 hours ago, flo said:

No we only bid for 2018

We Couldn't bid for 2022 as they don't host in the same continent consecutively. 

England 2018 was the Football Association's unsuccessful bid for the right to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup.[1] FIFA invited bidding countries to bid for either the 2018 or the 2022 finals, or both. The FA initially decided to bid for both, but with the withdrawal of all non-European bids for the 2018 event, this bid, and that of all other European bidding nations, were effectively disqualified from eligibility for the 2022 edition.

So in the beginning we intended to bid on both. 

54 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Is that actually true or just a likleyhood as he didn't come up with it ?

I’m sure I read he didn’t like it. To be fair those plans were drawn up when Stratford was chairman and a lot of stadiums had been built since. 

DC has his own construction company apparently which should make any stadium upgrade or rebuild cheaper for him. I know DC has no stadium plans until we get back to PL but it really needs looking at. If the overall plan is to stay at Hillsborough at least begin to sort out the west stand. 

I liked the WC plans. I thought it retained that old modern stadium look with a modern twist.