How would you be impacted?

So £1,000 a week for players, £10 a game and £20 a shirt we would suddenly have some common sense in football.

An annual wage bill of just over £1m for the playing staff with a squad of 20 players, match day income of £250k with average crowds of 25,000 (£6m a season), though at a tenner a ticket it could be more.

What I would expect though is when youngster are deciding which sport to play more of them would look to better paid options be than Cricket, Tennis, Athletic etc instead of picking football.

I am all for lowering prices and a salary cap, but for me £30 a game max, £10 for kids and £15 concession in all parts of the ground. The max a player should get each week is £5,000 (£250,000 a year).

Football is clearly not sustainable when after 6 weeks without games teams are going to the wall. 

3 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So £1,000 a week for players, £10 a game and £20 a shirt we would suddenly have some common sense in football.

An annual wage bill of just over £1m for the playing staff with a squad of 20 players, match day income of £250k with average crowds of 25,000 (£6m a season), though at a tenner a ticket it could be more.

What I would expect though is when youngster are deciding which sport to play more of them would look to better paid options be than Cricket, Tennis, Athletic etc instead of picking football.

I am all for lowering prices and a salary cap, but for me £30 a game max, £10 for kids and £15 concession in all parts of the ground. The max a player should get each week is £5,000 (£250,000 a year).

Football is clearly not sustainable when after 6 weeks without games teams are going to the wall. 

It's surprising to me that if someone posts 'hey let's make football £10 a ticket', that people would actually say 'nahhhh let's make it £30'

lol

Owlstalk Shop

One change I think that is needed though is team have to have 5 home grown English players in the first 11, none of this buy them from abroad and play them in the youth set up like the premier league teams do to get around the rules.

Make it simple every team invest in their area and youth or they are ineligible to get promoted or qualify for European competitions if in the Premier League.

Other leagues around the world have these rule such as Germany and it add to the club and the fans feeling like they are represented on the pitch.

This would switch the focus on teams trying to buy promotion and instead invest in infrastructure in the team. 

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's surprising to me that if someone posts 'hey let's make football £10 a ticket', that people would actually say 'nahhhh let's make it £30'

lol

Realistically it is never going to happen at £10 a ticket but if we could simplify ticket pricing at the club to 3 rates and not rip fans off we would get people back in the stands (if we are ever allowed back that is)

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

Because it's unrealistic. Why £10, why not £5

1 minute ago, markg said:

Because it's unrealistic. 

I find it remarkable how humans think sometimes though..

It's really weird how we've been programmed over time to accept crazy priced football tickets (and other things) so that we perceive £30 as value, and that it couldn't possibly be ever challenged or reversed..

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Even if our best players left for Italy/Spain to play there (as they used to) so what?

Would we really be any worse off as football fans supporting Sheffield Wednesday?

We'd still have a club, our team to support, more people could afford to go to games and would go to games

What other differences would we see/feel?

Bring everyone else down to our level..

Like your thinking

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

A salary cap at that level would be massively unfair to players.

Whilst I agree that players are overpaid, the amount of income they bring in would make £52k a year ridiculously low. Look at the TV contracts alone. Billions of pounds a year coming in and only a few million going out wouldn't be fair.

Problem with that is, if you start banging players on huge contracts using TV money then something could happen (e.g. this Covid outbreak for example) meaning no TV money came in anymore, and therefore clubs go extinct as a result of the player salaries

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
44 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

£1000 a week would be enough to attract/satisfy footballers who really want to play the game and be a professional footballer surely?

You still would need more money for the higher leagues than the lower leagues though.. and if you’re expecting players to

turn professional even the lowest end are going to want £30k a year otherwise they could just earn more elsewhere.

Given how hard it is to make it there would be loads who would give up and go for something more stable that isn’t only a 10-15 year career. Which means less competition and lower standards.

I understand the point you’re trying to make but I think a £1k a week cap would see lower standard overall. Although the max wage could be much much lower than it is now without any impact on standards assuming the whole world implemented the same rules

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I find it remarkable how humans think sometimes though..

It's really weird how we've been programmed over time to accept crazy priced football tickets (and other things) so that we perceive £30 as value, and that it couldn't possibly be ever challenged or reversed..

Almost as bad as £100 for concert tickets these days. 

7 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

You still would need more money for the higher leagues than the lower leagues though.. and if you’re expecting players to

turn professional even the lowest end are going to want £30k a year otherwise they could just earn more elsewhere.

Given how hard it is to make it there would be loads who would give up and go for something more stable that isn’t only a 10-15 year career. Which means less competition and lower standards.

I understand the point you’re trying to make but I think a £1k a week cap would see lower standard overall. Although the max wage could be much much lower than it is now without any impact on standards assuming the whole world implemented the same rules

Perhaps semi pro is the answer