How would you be impacted?

2 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

The Case Fatality Rate (the ratio between confirmed cases and confirmed deaths) is a hopelessly inaccurate statistic for trying to assess mortality levels for a surprisingly lengthy number of reasons (which I've just been reading about). But for what it's worth, it currently stands at somewhere in the region of 7% worldwide according to European CDC, rising steadily since the start of the outbreak, with large variations between countries. But just as proved to be the case with SARS (initially reported at 3-5% but adjusted to be 10% by the end of the crisis), it is anticipated that the true number will prove to be considerably higher once there has been time to analyse all the relevant data. 

But that's not really the full extent of the story is it? Deaths from the virus amongst NHS staff hit the century mark three weeks ago. Even many patients that recover will have been receiving extensive treatment potentially for several weeks and who knows how many their single infection was ultimately transmitted to? Studies are suggesting that those suffering moderate to serious effects from the virus could have long-term damage to at least four major organs, some of which may be permanent and give rise to ongoing secondary health issues. Despite the widespread lockdown measures that have been employed, many nations have seen their health systems overwhelmed or at least put under significant pressure. This has had the knock-on effect of many health treatments being postponed indefinitely. Office of National Statistics figures show that deaths from all causes at this time of year has surged by as much as 75% from normal rates. What do you suppose would have happened without the current measures and what is the likely outcome as these are relaxed?

One poster on this site has stated without equivocation that the whole crisis is bordering on fake. I'm all for scepticism when it comes to the motives of government and media (see my profile picture for a start), but I'm struggling to see what is to be gained by nations voluntarily pulling the plug on their economies or how the conspiracy requiring thousands of ordinary participants around the world could possibly be achieved.

Think back before the “ outbreak” There was large scale protests building across the world against the established political parties. Not a lot of it covered by the press for obvious reasons. The old guard were swept away in USA and India, even here old Nigel was rocking the boat. The EU is collapsing, yellow vest movement spreading, Peru, etc etc. Soon we will emerge from our homes looking in awe at the sunshine, and happy to be alive and being able to see our friends and families.

9 hours ago, Plonk said:

Think back before the “ outbreak” There was large scale protests building across the world against the established political parties. Not a lot of it covered by the press for obvious reasons. The old guard were swept away in USA and India, even here old Nigel was rocking the boat. The EU is collapsing, yellow vest movement spreading, Peru, etc etc. Soon we will emerge from our homes looking in awe at the sunshine, and happy to be alive and being able to see our friends and families.

I think you are grossly overstating the effects of these protests and the old guard were most certainly not swept away in the United States. Anyone who thinks that Trump (and for that matter, Farage) is an anti-establishment revolutionary has misread that situation entirely on the back of a few simplistic soundbites.

I take your point about control of the masses and am always cynical about the information we are presented with (see my profile picture for a start). But given the nature of the industrialised world and it's elites, even if the protests were more of a threat, it still does not adequately explain why they would have taken the measures they have which has seen enormous and long-term burdens on state economies. The response is utterly disproportionate. Until I see stronger evidence to the contrary, I have to believe that the pandemic is just as we're being told that it is.

On 11/05/2020 at 14:13, Pulsar said:

Yes but we can still have the i ticket per season ticket holder policy and then 1 per member etc so at least 25,000 Wednesdayites would get tickets fairly. 

This is potentially a massive opportunity for the game or powers that be to get the game in order. 

Let's see if it's truly all about money over the love of the game.

I think we know the answer but surely there must be loads of people involved in the game with the same thinking and desires as us common fans?

And do you honestly believe that the people at the EFL, PL, UEFA & FIFA with their sticky fingers in every pie will let football get back to its roots where the average man in the street can afford to go? 

There would be few if any International class players in any of our leagues if we were the only country who adopted the policy.  Would be like going back to the bad old days of the third division and scrapping against relegation!

On 11/05/2020 at 15:13, handworth52 said:

the covid 19 death rate is fake , every death in hospital /care home is having covid 19 put on death certificate along with the real cause but it all goes on the gov daily death total ,should know as a close friend whose dad has died had covid 19 put on death certificate even though died of other causes ,also a nurse told me this last week who deals with terminally ill patients that possible covid 19 gets put on death certificate along with other causes . so to say im dubious about those figures is an understatement . we don't have 6 times more deaths than germany what has a higher population from covid 19 ,the gov thought it was a good idea to do this as it would make people more adhere to the lockdown , now im certain its backfiring we have a country full of terrified people , but if you look carefully at the figures you have a 100x higher chance of getting run over under 50-60 than covid 19. I would go for a Sweden version of lockdown keeping social distance where possible ,protecting the vulnerable and elderly while rest of us who are 99.999% safe just get on with it. vaccine is trust me nowhere near it would take a huge amount of time to make sure its safe/works and then to mass produce it . in that time every business ,job would be lost . social distancing is needed for the elderly/frail long term but only in the short term for the rest of us , if we can produce the drugs what help the recovery of covid 19 victims then that and that only will and should end all restrictions to us all keeping 2 metres etc. if that don't happen see the result because its frightening. 

It's hard to express just how wrong this is. In reality, the Covid-19 death toll has been greatly under-recorded in this country.

Every last April for the last 5 years, 8,000 people have died in care homes. This year in April, there were 28,000 recorded deaths. How would you explain this difference if not Covid-19? 10,000 new Harold Shipman's have just been hired?

If you want to explain the different death tolls in other countries like Germany or South Korea, think first of more thorough testing regimes, well implemented isolation policies, checks on people coming into the country and not releasing patients from hospitals back into care homes before they have been properly tested and quarantined.

20 hours ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

August 2011. Mandaric was the chairman, Megson the manager. The club were in League One.

I already told you how I chose. I wanted to support the Sheffield club. I know the Sheffield Football Club is older, but it is non-League, and I knew there would be little media coverage over here so that it would be hard to follow. I really don't see any other choices to make, do you? I mean, The City is Ours! I have a flag that says so.

That is the official answer. A more honest answer is that the Wednesday is a much cooler name than either United or the Blades. I made it a point to not know League or last season's position before deciding.

Thanks, that's interesting. I guess I'm just a nosey bu**er. Well done for sticking with them - there's not been much to shout about in the last 10 years. Stick with it - we will be back. Stay safe.

5 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

xiety 

It's hard to express just how wrong this is. In reality, the Covid-19 death toll has been greatly under-recorded in this country.

Every last April for the last 5 years, 8,000 people have died in care homes. This year in April, there were 28,000 recorded deaths. How would you explain this difference if not Covid-19? 10,000 new Harold Shipman's have just been hired?

If you want to explain the different death tolls in other countries like Germany or South Korea, think first of more thorough testing regimes, well implemented isolation policies, checks on people coming into the country and not releasing patients from hospitals back into care homes before they have been properly tested and quarantined.

im not doubting this which is a disgrace that they were just sent from hospitals with covid to finish everyone off in a care home ,I don't know who is running the ship whether the nhs is to blame for this gov or both . nhs blunders finished my dad off a few years ago so no I don't think there the best health service in the world far from it , and the way my wifes nan was treated in hospital with cancer and left several times in her own urine . most of the nurses and doctors are wonderful but like anywhere there are also useless waste of spaces. the trouble with the excess death total because 90% of them what aint even seen a doctor what had died covid 19 was put on there death certificate as possible death and there all on the daily total ,until proper testing takes place these figures are rubbish and not fit for purpose , the excess deaths will account for a huge amount what aint been to doctors/hospital for very important appointments or even a 999 call .the elderly particularly are frightened some wont allow anyone near them including a doctor, when they are mostly stuck in the house watching news all the time its causing massive anxiety, our hospitals are almost empty due to hardly anyone going for important appointments/health reasons ,I just don't agree the style of the news/media/gov its making things sound like Armageddon which clearly they aint for 99.9% of the population . 

I sometimes go to see MK dons as it is nearby.  League 2 and now in league 1.

it costs me 20 quid to get in with my two kids, who go in free . So less than 7 quid each. I expect the players earn about 1 to 2 grand a week . So very much like the OP scenario.

the quality is absolutely AWFUL. The teams make Wednesday look like the great Ajax side of the 70’s.