How would you be impacted?

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Just football

Let's say those changes occurred

How exactly would football at SWFC change?

Well if the wages were capped across the piece then it would be which club can offer the best opportunity to win things and be up there year on year.

Things would have to change at SWFC with investment in the training facilities, the stadium and the general perception (this is from a players perspective not a fans).

However if the price of everything outside of football is not going to change I can't see the investment going into stadia, training facilities etc.

If the wages were capped then I would see a far more competitive edge being delivered to football at SWFC as players would know that they can't get more at another club and would have to produce or fall by the wayside very quickly.

4 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Well if the wages were capped across the piece then it would be which club can offer the best opportunity to win things and be up there year on year.

Things would have to change at SWFC with investment in the training facilities, the stadium and the general perception (this is from a players perspective not a fans).

However if the price of everything outside of football is not going to change I can't see the investment going into stadia, training facilities etc.

If the wages were capped then I would see a far more competitive edge being delivered to football at SWFC as players would know that they can't get more at another club and would have to produce or fall by the wayside very quickly.

Crikey that sounds absolutely incredible when you look at it like that doesn't it?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Crikey that sounds absolutely incredible when you look at it like that doesn't it?

lol

That is what a salary cap does - look at RL and RU the talent of players is spread across the piece and the richer clubs just can't hoard the best players. What it does focus is also on the academies of the respective clubs I will use Wigan RLFC as a casing point here in that a majority of their first team has been an academy product and been through the local clubs, Wigan St Pats, Wigan St Jude etc.

It also means that their is a route to the first team at every club whereas realistically how many come through the age groups at say Man City and Chelsea (this season doesn't count due to the embargo).

having watched "Sunderland til i die" i wish we would sign more younger players such as Onein who seem like a breath of fresh air compared to some of the egos we have had recently. Bet hes on a fraction of what some of our "stars" too. Rather us nurture young talent and pay less to watch "our" club than bank-roll over paid flops

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45010023

image.png.dc2ad5daaa3a52a3bc2844b7dc25fc93.png

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Just football

Let's say those changes occurred

How exactly would football at SWFC change?

I have thought about this,

Firstly split the tripartite agreement FA, PL, EPL;

The league would set up for fans attending games NOT TV;

• No promotion to Premier League - Stand Alone - Sod them - let them watch Burnley v Bournemouth in March....
  • Salary Cap
  • All games Saturday 3.00pm / Tuesday 7.45 (except one Friday Night TV game p/w)
  • TV free to air - BBC/C4 etc
  • All TV money split equally 
  • Championship would have play offs for top 6 for Championship Trophy so season stays alive (as Prem Rugby) 
  • 20% of squad to be home grown players
  • Max 5 foreign players per squad
  • No Premier league loans - F Em
  • Max prices - equally split by league - London weighting
  • Safe Standing for 20% of ground
  • FA Cup  - doesn't invite Premier League - F Em

I realise that this would lead to PL2 but to be honest, imagine how crap PL2 would look like with no relegation. 

It would be amazing.  Stadiums would be full, parents would be taking their kids and introducing them to live football matches rather than watching on TV.  

We all loved football but the influx of players from abroad which is what effectively drove the wages up.  We all had footballing hero's before the premier league.  We would still have star players/teams within the leagues even if the best in the world were playing abroad.  Having the best league in the world doesn't seem to have helped our national team.  

Maybe it's time we let another country take the mantle of best league in the world and we get back to being able to enjoy our football and supporting our clubs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Large.jpg

If football was completely revolutionised and taken back to it's roots, and (these are just off the top of my head examples - I've not done the maths), footballers could only be paid an absolute maximum £1000 per week, ticket prices were a maximum of £10 a ticket, and replica shirts were a maximum £20 each, how would that impact you as a football fan of Sheffield Wednesday FC?

How would it impact football in general?

What actual real differences would we see?

Fans would complain tickets should be no more than a fiver.

The actual Football would be worst.. but I wouldn’t give a monkeys! I’d be able to have a proper day out. Spend money on more booze and get to more away games! 
i love football for the whole.. not just pretty football. Money has spoilt the game in so many ways! 

I think the general feeling around the club would benefit. It’s easier IMO to put your emotions in to perspective if it’s affordable unlike now when a family of 4 pay £100 plus to see the team throw the towel in at times. 

Players would most likely play for the shirt knowing that no matter where you play everyone gets the same and we wouldn’t necessarily get some ex Prem players that just want an nest egg while sat on our bench or injured. 

With football being a short career the wage has to reflect that, so 1k a week isn't enough or realistic in today's footy.

I'd propose a maximum of 10k a week for the Champ, 5k for L1 and 2.5k for L2.

*anyone know where the pounds sign is on a Belgian laptop?*

Edited by Weshallovercome

19 minutes ago, The Wall said:

I'd be quite happy to see modern football implode

you might get your wish , sadly that will also involve most football league clubs going to the wall ,do we really want that? yes what they get paid is sickening but its a global game and everything in life has a marketplace and value . id have a tax on wages above a certain amount and transfer fee above a certain amount put into  a pot to help lower leagues survive . but sadly that wont happen , because everything is going to be safety safety don't expect football to survive , don't expect you will go on an aeroplane on holiday for a very very long time , if it was left upto some people no kid would ever go to school again ,nobody would ever work again , ever attend football ,we would all just stay locked up in our homes . well im hoping people will not put up with that going forward otherwise we will lose the lot . 

5 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

you might get your wish , sadly that will also involve most football league clubs going to the wall ,do we really want that? yes what they get paid is sickening but its a global game and everything in life has a marketplace and value . id have a tax on wages above a certain amount and transfer fee above a certain amount put into  a pot to help lower leagues survive . but sadly that wont happen , because everything is going to be safety safety don't expect football to survive , don't expect you will go on an aeroplane on holiday for a very very long time , if it was left upto some people no kid would ever go to school again ,nobody would ever work again , ever attend football ,we would all just stay locked up in our homes . well im hoping people will not put up with that going forward otherwise we will lose the lot . 

we also cant jump in feet first and cause thousands of extra deaths

5 hours ago, Pulsar said:

But if the restrictions/adjustments were the same there and around the world, players would still be willing to sign for English clubs.

Even if we were the only country to implement it and we had to rely on UK, local and youth, i would still rejoice.

I miss good honest players with 100% attitudes like Mick Lyons, TC, Bannister, Lawrie Madden etc.

The more i think about it the more you are getting me excited.

For a certain dynamic, who witnessed the type of player you mention, who enjoyed away days at Mansfield & Millmoor, it would be a treat. Benjamin Buttonesque.

But the reality is, although some clubs shoestring budgets will be thinner, Abramovic, Woodward etc will never allow it to happen to them. 

I just have a vision of the top clubs  being further away from us than before. That does t mean that the odd club that goes up won’t be successful (dare I mention S2). 

I couldn’t care less if we really have to start again. Especially if they take the roof off the kop and allow us to stand again.

:tango:

2 hours ago, Derbyshireowl3 said:

The actual Football would be worst.. but I wouldn’t give a monkeys! I’d be able to have a proper day out. Spend money on more booze and get to more away games! 
i love football for the whole.. not just pretty football. Money has spoilt the game in so many ways! 

nothing could be worse than the last few matches we played this season

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

£1000 a week would be enough to attract/satisfy footballers who really want to play the game and be a professional footballer surely?

At just one bad tackle away from the career being ended, I very much doubt it, however I would put salary caps in place as follows:

EPL 20k per week (1 million per year)

Championship 10k per week

League 1 5k per week

League 2 2.5k per week

The limits would come into place automatically on promotion or relegation and be written into all players contracts.

Further it would operate on the basis of half up front, the rest into a pension scheme for when the player retired. In addition I would have a player pool of prize money from the TV revenues so that extra money could be generated on the basis of successful performance only. For example, win the FA Cup and a 1 million prize would be divided up to amongst all the squad who had played in the winning team. Other competitions could be handled in a similar way with prize money being determined by progress etc.

Again all such monies could be placed into the pension scheme to ensure adequate retirement funding.