How would you be impacted?

3 minutes ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

In this wold, would ifollow be available in overseas markets so I could continue to rise at 400 am to watch my beloved Wednesday, or would I need to watch my local college team play soccer?

You'd be fine

Business as usual

lol

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, 1963owl said:

we also cant jump in feet first and cause thousands of extra deaths

the covid 19 death rate is fake , every death in hospital /care home is having covid 19 put on death certificate along with the real cause but it all goes on the gov daily death total ,should know as a close friend whose dad has died had covid 19 put on death certificate even though died of other causes ,also a nurse told me this last week who deals with terminally ill patients that possible covid 19 gets put on death certificate along with other causes . so to say im dubious about those figures is an understatement . we don't have 6 times more deaths than germany what has a higher population from covid 19 ,the gov thought it was a good idea to do this as it would make people more adhere to the lockdown , now im certain its backfiring we have a country full of terrified people , but if you look carefully at the figures you have a 100x higher chance of getting run over under 50-60 than covid 19. I would go for a Sweden version of lockdown keeping social distance where possible ,protecting the vulnerable and elderly while rest of us who are 99.999% safe just get on with it. vaccine is trust me nowhere near it would take a huge amount of time to make sure its safe/works and then to mass produce it . in that time every business ,job would be lost . social distancing is needed for the elderly/frail long term but only in the short term for the rest of us , if we can produce the drugs what help the recovery of covid 19 victims then that and that only will and should end all restrictions to us all keeping 2 metres etc. if that don't happen see the result because its frightening. 

6 hours ago, Pulsar said:

I haven't really an idea of the actual impact on the game in general if the game we grew up with went back to basics but i will be honest Neil, i would love it if we did, love it!

I always wondered what happened to Kevin Keegan!

Edited by thesouthowl

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 00:58, @owlstalk said:

Large.jpg

If football was completely revolutionised and taken back to it's roots, and (these are just off the top of my head examples - I've not done the maths), footballers could only be paid an absolute maximum £1000 per week, ticket prices were a maximum of £10 a ticket, and replica shirts were a maximum £20 each, how would that impact you as a football fan of Sheffield Wednesday FC?

How would it impact football in general?

What actual real differences would we see?

In the words of Kevin Keegan "I'd love it".

Sadly Sky and money have changed football for the worse.

On 11/05/2020 at 09:30, @owlstalk said:

£1000 a week would be enough to attract/satisfy footballers who really want to play the game and be a professional footballer surely?

You can't genuinely believe this.

For most, a career in football isn't very long lived. At a young age, a professional player made a decision to work and train hard, in lieu of other life choices. All of that time should be looked at as an investment that will ultimately pay off. Many don't make it, but for those that do, the return would be good pay over a relatively short amount of time.

I'm not arguing that the current salaries can't be reduced, but to £1,000 a week? You're having a laugh. If that was the going rate, the quality of football would suffer tremendously, as it simply wouldn't be worth all that early-stage effort, which means we'll end up watching pub football. Not sure that's worth the £10 admission fee, as you may as well go to the park and watch matches for free.

Edited by bobness

I don’t think the players would go for the numbers involved.

Say we had 24 players on £1k a week and  25k every game at £10 a ticket. That would mean your wage bill is about 1/5 of your home ticket income. That excludes any other income, away games, tv money, money spent on pies etc. 

It’d definitely be in line with the working man, but 25 thousand people don’t pay £10 a head to watch a bloke plumb in a toilet every Saturday afternoon! 

2 hours ago, Weshallovercome said:

I've got to ask, mainly because I'm jealous where you live.

How come someone from South Hilo District, Hawaii Island is a fan of Sheffield Wednesday?

So, since you ask.

My mom's father was from Sheffield. Three generations of the family moved from Attercliffe to Pittsburgh. Steel City to Steel City I guess. A long time ago. Last quadrant of my family to cross the Atlantic.

As I became more engaged with the growing options to watch football in the states, I recoiled in disgust at the American custom of declaring oneself a supporter of one of the Big 6, buying a club scarf, and congratulating oneself on picking a winner almost every week. So I thought the only logical thing to do was to support the Sheffield club, whatever league and whatever the results. So I support the Wednesday. Through thick, and lately, a lot of thin.

Then I ended up in rural Hawaii. Which, though I like Belgium a lot, I have to say is a nice place to be.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

So, since you ask.

My mom's father was from Sheffield. Three generations of the family moved from Attercliffe to Pittsburgh. Steel City to Steel City I guess. A long time ago. Last quadrant of my family to cross the Atlantic.

As I became more engaged with the growing options to watch football in the states, I recoiled in disgust at the American custom of declaring oneself a supporter of one of the Big 6, buying a club scarf, and congratulating oneself on picking a winner almost every week. So I thought the only logical thing to do was to support the Sheffield club, whatever league and whatever the results. So I support the Wednesday. Through thick, and lately, a lot of thin.

Then I ended up in rural Hawaii. Which, though I like Belgium a lot, I have to say is a nice place to be.

Out of interest - when did you choose Wednesday and how did you decide ? 

10 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Out of interest - when did you choose Wednesday and how did you decide ? 

August 2011. Mandaric was the chairman, Megson the manager. The club were in League One.

I already told you how I chose. I wanted to support the Sheffield club. I know the Sheffield Football Club is older, but it is non-League, and I knew there would be little media coverage over here so that it would be hard to follow. I really don't see any other choices to make, do you? I mean, The City is Ours! I have a flag that says so.

That is the official answer. A more honest answer is that the Wednesday is a much cooler name than either United or the Blades. I made it a point to not know League or last season's position before deciding.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, handworth52 said:

the covid 19 death rate is fake , every death in hospital /care home is having covid 19 put on death certificate along with the real cause but it all goes on the gov daily death total ,should know as a close friend whose dad has died had covid 19 put on death certificate even though died of other causes ,also a nurse told me this last week who deals with terminally ill patients that possible covid 19 gets put on death certificate along with other causes . so to say im dubious about those figures is an understatement . we don't have 6 times more deaths than germany what has a higher population from covid 19 ,the gov thought it was a good idea to do this as it would make people more adhere to the lockdown , now im certain its backfiring we have a country full of terrified people , but if you look carefully at the figures you have a 100x higher chance of getting run over under 50-60 than covid 19. I would go for a Sweden version of lockdown keeping social distance where possible ,protecting the vulnerable and elderly while rest of us who are 99.999% safe just get on with it. vaccine is trust me nowhere near it would take a huge amount of time to make sure its safe/works and then to mass produce it . in that time every business ,job would be lost . social distancing is needed for the elderly/frail long term but only in the short term for the rest of us , if we can produce the drugs what help the recovery of covid 19 victims then that and that only will and should end all restrictions to us all keeping 2 metres etc. if that don't happen see the result because its frightening. 

Same here. my mother in law died 2 weeks ago at 93 in a care home. The doctor who put covid 19 on the death certificate had never seen her alive. She had NO symptoms at all. She died of old age.

I'm not minimising the horror of getting the disease but the death rate is about 4% overall, even with these skewed figures. Even elderly victims with underlying conditions only have  death rate. of 20%.

I'm fully behind what the government has done to avoid pressure on the NHS but if the economy is wrecked there will be NO NHS or social servies as there won't be any tax. 

3 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Same here. my mother in law died 2 weeks ago at 93 in a care home. The doctor who put covid 19 on the death certificate had never seen her alive. She had NO symptoms at all. She died of old age.

I'm not minimising the horror of getting the disease but the death rate is about 4% overall, even with these skewed figures. Even elderly victims with underlying conditions only have  death rate. of 20%.

I'm fully behind what the government has done to avoid pressure on the NHS but if the economy is wrecked there will be NO NHS or social servies as there won't be any tax. 

The Case Fatality Rate (the ratio between confirmed cases and confirmed deaths) is a hopelessly inaccurate statistic for trying to assess mortality levels for a surprisingly lengthy number of reasons (which I've just been reading about). But for what it's worth, it currently stands at somewhere in the region of 7% worldwide according to European CDC, rising steadily since the start of the outbreak, with large variations between countries. But just as proved to be the case with SARS (initially reported at 3-5% but adjusted to be 10% by the end of the crisis), it is anticipated that the true number will prove to be considerably higher once there has been time to analyse all the relevant data. 

But that's not really the full extent of the story is it? Deaths from the virus amongst NHS staff hit the century mark three weeks ago. Even many patients that recover will have been receiving extensive treatment potentially for several weeks and who knows how many their single infection was ultimately transmitted to? Studies are suggesting that those suffering moderate to serious effects from the virus could have long-term damage to at least four major organs, some of which may be permanent and give rise to ongoing secondary health issues. Despite the widespread lockdown measures that have been employed, many nations have seen their health systems overwhelmed or at least put under significant pressure. This has had the knock-on effect of many health treatments being postponed indefinitely. Office of National Statistics figures show that deaths from all causes at this time of year has surged by as much as 75% from normal rates. What do you suppose would have happened without the current measures and what is the likely outcome as these are relaxed?

One poster on this site has stated without equivocation that the whole crisis is bordering on fake. I'm all for scepticism when it comes to the motives of government and media (see my profile picture for a start), but I'm struggling to see what is to be gained by nations voluntarily pulling the plug on their economies or how the conspiracy requiring thousands of ordinary participants around the world could possibly be achieved.

On 11/05/2020 at 09:03, @owlstalk said:

Even if our best players left for Italy/Spain to play there (as they used to) so what?

Would we really be any worse off as football fans supporting Sheffield Wednesday?

We'd still have a club, our team to support, more people could afford to go to games and would go to games

What other differences would we see/feel?

We would be at a serious disadvantage when we are drawn against these teams in Europe :ph34r: