How would you be impacted?

Large.jpg

If football was completely revolutionised and taken back to it's roots, and (these are just off the top of my head examples - I've not done the maths), footballers could only be paid an absolute maximum £1000 per week, ticket prices were a maximum of £10 a ticket, and replica shirts were a maximum £20 each, how would that impact you as a football fan of Sheffield Wednesday FC?

How would it impact football in general?

What actual real differences would we see?

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Large.jpg

If football was completely revolutionised and taken back to it's roots, and (these are just off the top of my head examples - I've not done the maths), footballers could only be paid an absolute maximum £1000 per week, ticket prices were a maximum of £10 a ticket, and replica shirts were a maximum £20 each, how would that impact you as a football fan of Sheffield Wednesday FC?

Is the rest of the world coming with us on this revolution or is football going cavalier?

• Haha 1

I haven't really an idea of the actual impact on the game in general if the game we grew up with went back to basics but i will be honest Neil, i would love it if we did, love it!

Just now, Pulsar said:

I haven't really an idea of the actual impact on the game in general if the game we grew up with went back to basics but i will be honest Neil, i would love it if we did, love it!

Even if our best players left for Italy/Spain to play there (as they used to) so what?

Would we really be any worse off as football fans supporting Sheffield Wednesday?

We'd still have a club, our team to support, more people could afford to go to games and would go to games

What other differences would we see/feel?

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Even if our best players left for Italy/Spain to play there (as they used to) so what?

Would we really be any worse off as football fans supporting Sheffield Wednesday?

We'd still have a club, our team to support, more people could afford to go to games and would go to games

But if the restrictions/adjustments were the same there and around the world, players would still be willing to sign for English clubs.

Even if we were the only country to implement it and we had to rely on UK, local and youth, i would still rejoice.

I miss good honest players with 100% attitudes like Mick Lyons, TC, Bannister, Lawrie Madden etc.

The more i think about it the more you are getting me excited.

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Tickets for play offs etc would be harder to get due to the reduced cost

1 minute ago, matt68owls said:

I was going to say that the standard of football would be much worse, but I doubt it can be.

If you cast your mind back (if you're old enough) to before football in the UK went batty, the best players were playing in Italy and Spain and they were hyped as the best leagues in the world.

Our best English players were tempted to do over and play there, although in reality not a large number went over there.

It didn't bother me one bit

I still had Wednesday, didn't feel affected in any way by the other countries having better football, and enjoyed football way more (and that's not with rose-tinted history specs on either)

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, markg said:

Tickets for play offs etc would be harder to get due to the reduced cost

Yes but we can still have the i ticket per season ticket holder policy and then 1 per member etc so at least 25,000 Wednesdayites would get tickets fairly. 

This is potentially a massive opportunity for the game or powers that be to get the game in order. 

Let's see if it's truly all about money over the love of the game.

I think we know the answer but surely there must be loads of people involved in the game with the same thinking and desires as us common fans?

I think football is too far gone to impose such limits. 

However, I do think this situation should act as a kick up the arse for football to become more sustainable. 

A change in mindset by clubs, owners, to try and operate as a profitable concern, living within their means, rather than an environment where losses are expected and accepted. 

The first step is player wages and I do genuinely think we will see clubs reduce their wage bills from the astronomical and unsustainable ratio (to turnover) that we currently see. 

25 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Large.jpg

Wouldnt impact me at all.

I think football would benefit if structured bottom upwards rather than top down.

£10 a week for ticketsnwould arguably increase attendances. However £1k a week wages, the standard would be pretty bad i suspect. They could earn more in other jobs.

Be good to shake off some of the old boys network though, less money then lesw corruption.

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

Wouldnt impact me at all.

I think football would benefit if structured bottom upwards rather than top down.

£10 a week for ticketsnwould arguably increase attendances. However £1k a week wages, the standard would be pretty bad i suspect. They could earn more in other jobs.

Be good to shake off some of the old boys network though, less money then lesw corruption.

£1000 a week would be enough to attract/satisfy footballers who really want to play the game and be a professional footballer surely?

Owlstalk Shop

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If you cast your mind back (if you're old enough) to before football in the UK went batty, the best players were playing in Italy and Spain and they were hyped as the best leagues in the world.

Our best English players were tempted to do over and play there, although in reality not a large number went over there.

It didn't bother me one bit

I still had Wednesday, didn't feel affected in any way by the other countries having better football, and enjoyed football way more (and that's not with rose-tinted history specs on either)

been going since 73 so do remember, the excitement of watching the odd foreigner coming to Hillsborough as an opposition player. The first one I remember for Wednesday was Ante Mirocevic in about 1982.

I also remember half of the team coming from the local area or from our own academy, people who genuinely played for the shirt.

This is the perfect time to try and do something about it all, but as usual sod all will get done.