Lee Bullen "I wouldn't dismiss being a football manager again"

Lee Bullen.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday legend Lee Bullen has told The Star that he hasn't ruled out a return to managing a football club himself.

He said: “I think it's something now after three periods of doing it, you really enjoy it. I love being an assistant and I love my role here but it's something I wouldn't dismiss, whether that be elsewhere or whatever.

“I think it’s something maybe I’ve thought of a little bit more because I have enjoyed the three times I’ve had the chance to do it.

“It's one of those things now having done it three times, you wonder at the end of your career looking back, would I regret not taking an opportunity?

“But I'm at a club that I love, I'm working with players that I love, I'm working with a manager I love working with and the coaches we're working with, so it's not something I want to do next week.

“As I stand here, though, my role as an assistant is not the same pressure as being the man on the chopping block so to speak. As a manager the whole pressure around it and what you have to deal with, it's completely different.

“If an opportunity arose or if somebody came in to make an approach and I thought it was the right thing to do for myself and my family, I'd have to consider it. But it's not something I'm overly chasing at the moment.”

Owlstalk Shop

I think Bullen has the makings of a good Manger/Head Coach somewhere,He's never shied away from the Responsibility when asked to step up at SWFC,and i do think that when he is finished at Hillsborough,whether thats through the powers that be thanking him for his services but its time to go,or he actively pursues a Managerial role/Head coach gig somewhere (even whilst being assistant to Monk)he'll make a decent fist of it,maybe akin to what Paul Warne has/did at Rotherham.

Has there ever been such a likeable  "outsider" who came in from pretty much nowhere and gets what it means to be part of swfc,i can't think of anybody,not with the longevity of Bullen anyway.

I think he really wants Wednesday job. It must have frustrated him last summer when he may have had a chance to get it. May have been one of the reasons we did well until Christmas because he put a solid foundation in place.

For me, he’s one of those where I would want him to do well so it didn’t end bad for him here as he quite clearly loves the club. 

Good for him, I think he needs to leave us anyway. How many more times are we going to go around the cycle of having an underperforming team followed by Bullen coming in, getting one or two good results by bringing back players we know are poisonous in the dressing room and then looking out of his depth.

Unfortunately, I think he’s part of the problem and it’s time for him to move on.