Deon Burton's Wednesday Legacy

Guest addedtime

The quintessential “Do a Job” Championship player.

Obviously not the best player in the world but I liked him a lot. A reliable forward who elevated the team and would always give a good account.

It’s funny because for all the money we’ve spent, I don’t think we’d be on the form we are now if we had a few more safe “do a job” types.

..infact I'd perhaps even go one further than that, and say you could make a pretty convincing case that Tudgay and Burton represent everything we've completely ballsed up at the minute.

We currently have Steven Fletcher, supported by a part time forward who plays better on the left, someone who knocked a few in for Barnsley, who we replaced a week later with a man with all the confidence of a deflated balloon, and Atdhe f*cking Nuhiu. And we've just added to that with 3 loans. Good luck picking your starting 2 (or 1).

I suddenly feel like there's a warming comfort in just signing a couple of good players at a great price, who you know will give you a certain level every week, and work well together. 

That laws team that nearly sneaked into the play offs, that was a glorious half a season. We were playing some great football with a team that cost zip all to put together and looked doomed under sturrock. The West Brom win, I really started to believe at that point. It’s the hope that kills you of course.

On 25/02/2020 at 02:10, NorfolkNChance said:

Kept the play off dream alive under Laws when he scored the winner in a 1-0 away win at WBA. 

Unfortunately it was short lived as we ended up with Chris Adamson in goal for the run in after Iain Turner was ruled out / recalled (can’t remember which) and we lost away at Birmingham. 

remember that. Birmingham went up that day and we got looked in the away section for an hour or 2 after the game whilst Birmingham fans celebrated promotion by lobbing bricks at us all 

lol 

Class player, footballing brain, perfect first touch.

I remember playing against Paul Sturrock's son, Paul came to watch the game.

Had a chat with him after the match and he said Burton was the most talented player he'd ever worked with and could quite easily cut it in the premier league.