Deon Burton's Wednesday Legacy

Guest addedtime

I liked him. His form was a little up and down, but on his day he had a lot of class.

Lots of memories, but the strongest one I have of him was from before he was with us when he was at Brentford.

We played them at their place and despite being 3-1 up with 10 minutes to go they scored two late goals and we drew 3-3.

He was fantastic that day for them. They seemed to be able to knock anything into him and he'd make it stick. Incredible really for a player that was fairly short.

Kept the play off dream alive under Laws when he scored the winner in a 1-0 away win at WBA. 

Unfortunately it was short lived as we ended up with Chris Adamson in goal for the run in after Iain Turner was ruled out / recalled (can’t remember which) and we lost away at Birmingham. 

8 hours ago, cowl said:

I liked him. His form was a little up and down, but on his day he had a lot of class.

Lots of memories, but the strongest one I have of him was from before he was with us when he was at Brentford.

We played them at their place and despite being 3-1 up with 10 minutes to go they scored two late goals and we drew 3-3.

He was fantastic that day for them. They seemed to be able to knock anything into him and he'd make it stick. Incredible really for a player that was fairly short.

If it was the game that I remember there was two minutes to go !

Guest wilyfox

I rated Burton. Like Hooper, not the biggest but the ball stuck when played up to him. Led the line well. At a time when our better attackers MacLean & McGovern were injured, Burton & Tudgay came in and gave us poke up top. Paired well, and were very good in the air for their size. Tudgay had a tremendous leap on him. 

Edited by wilyfox

I liked him a lot, and would have him in the team now tbh. 

One of those players who was a bugger to play against and wanted on your team. Could ping it up to him and he'd keep it, despite not being very tall. Could draw a foul, and had fire in his belly. 

I'd have Jermaine Johnson at his peak and all. Value for money we got a lot better back then than a fair few recently. Majid Bougherra, Chris Brunt, Glenn Whelan, Lee Grant, Frankie Simek etc etc. Not world beaters but excellent value for what we paid in total.