Deon Burton's Wednesday Legacy

Guest addedtime

Decent player with good touch and "footballing brain".

We pi55ed of many Rotherham fans when we signed him on cheap while he was League One top scorer.

Don't remember who against, but he handballed in opposition penalty box and we got awarded penalty kick :biggrin:

25 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

I liked him a lot, and would have him in the team now tbh. 

One of those players who was a bugger to play against and wanted on your team. Could ping it up to him and he'd keep it, despite not being very tall. Could draw a foul, and had fire in his belly. 

I'd have Jermaine Johnson at his peak and all. Value for money we got a lot better back then than a fair few recently. Majid Bougherra, Chris Brunt, Glenn Whelan, Lee Grant, Frankie Simek etc etc. Not world beaters but excellent value for what we paid in total. 

Definitely - I thought Simek was one of the most underrated players we had at the time. Nothing spectacular; but a proper, reliable and old school full back. 

Guest Ferkorf
5 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

One of the best days out we had was Stoke away boxing day 2006...Burton slammed the winner home 80 minutes, sure it was in front of the Wednesday fans as well!!

One of my favourite away games ever!

16 hours ago, NorfolkNChance said:

Kept the play off dream alive under Laws when he scored the winner in a 1-0 away win at WBA. 

Unfortunately it was short lived as we ended up with Chris Adamson in goal for the run in after Iain Turner was ruled out / recalled (can’t remember which) and we lost away at Birmingham. 

Recalled.

Thrown in to the Everton side due to injury and made an absolute howler against Man United on his debut if memory serves me right. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, malek said:

Decent player with good touch and "footballing brain".

We pi55ed of many Rotherham fans when we signed him on cheap while he was League One top scorer.

Don't remember who against, but he handballed in opposition penalty box and we got awarded penalty kick :biggrin:

That was either Burnley away or Southend at home I think? I remember getting two very dodgy penalty decisions in both those games, one from a certain Andre Marriner (who I admit has improved immensely since 2005)

Very clever forward. His footballing brain was akin to that of Gary Hooper. He wouldn't get 20 goals a season in the championship but he'd be a perfect partner for that sort of forward. He had a very good partnership with Tudgay 

Remember in the 2-2 draw at the lane, he completely bossed Chris Morgan that night. 

6 hours ago, wilyfox said:

I rated Burton. Like Hooper, not the biggest but the ball stuck when played up to him. Led the line well. At a time when our better attackers MacLean & McGovern were injured, Burton & Tudgay came in and gave us poke up top. Paired well, and were very good in the air for their size. Tudgay had a tremendous leap on him. 

I always thought of Tudgay as a lower level Tim cahill not the biggest, but could of out jumped a salmon and seemed to hang effortlessly in the air. Remember he scored some crackers too in a time of mediocrity and cloggers he added that bit of technique and finesse we lacked. 

17 hours ago, F. Spiksley said:

Liked his song. Loved his goal celebrations in front of fans. 

I remember the Derby fans at Pride Park returned the favour but changed the words to "f*ckin' useless". 

Towards the end of his time with us his finishing was lousy, but before that he'd been a tidy enough forward given our resources. His overall record for us was 87+37 appearances and 26 goals.

• Like 1