Mental Health and the Players

Anyone with any misguided ideas that wealthy sports people should n't be susceptible to mental health issues really ought to watch The Killer Inside - Aaron Hernandez on Netflix. Documents the harrowing short, sad  and violent life of an American footballer that basically had it all.

22 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

Such an easy thing to say.

Almost impossible and impractical in practice though, especially for a generation that has been brought up on social media, etc, and it is pretty much a way of life (and a lot of their jobs even calls for a social media presence, especially at higher levels where outreach, sponsorships and endorsements come into it).

Having social media can be bad. Not having it can also be just as much of a mental strain too for a lot of people.

The social media aspects for their job are more than likely ran by a media company - no need to be involved personally 

Twitter or Facebook can be an excellent tool for businesses or Organisations  - i have no idea why individuals feel the need to have their own page!!

It's purely a self importance thing and aching to be liked 

Anyone who is on it then gets mardy because ''people are putting nasty comments'' needs to look at themselves first 

1 hour ago, unkastav said:

Whilst having sympathy for genuine sufferers and admitting to being no expert such as sc-owl, I do feel the topic of mental health is almost promoted to be used at times. My daughters school have had many lessons dedicated to the issue.... I wonder how many kids then go home either worrying about things they shouldnt or then using MH as an excuse for things that do go wrong, as in life as we all know shiiiite happens! We all have different ways of coping I guess. Social media can be a nasty piece of work and in my eyes is the main cause of modern day angst......but its not going anywhere Im afraid so buckle up folks and look after those around you, give them a chin up or a pint and try and be happy. Thats all from Dr Stav

I agree with this.

Mental Health is a real issue and it's sadly being diluted.

Being in a bad mood isn't a mental health problem!

22 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

What the heck does that even mean? 

I think possibly you are trying to suggest that if footballers aren't exposed to economic stress, they won't experience mental health issues.

Or even more than that. It's a normative suggestion, that they shouldn't.

What ignorant nonsense (even ignoring the fact that for many professional footballers economic stresses our real; they don't get the super wages, they have short careers with limited prospects the other side, and a non-trivial prospect that the career ends any day on the training field)

Exactly. 

Tyson Fury should be a lesson to everyone. Multi millionaire, hard as nails, wife & kids, champion of the world. Meant nothing. Mental health can impact anyone. 

Guest Bulgaria
1 hour ago, torres said:

I agree with this.

Mental Health is a real issue and it's sadly being diluted.

Being in a bad mood isn't a mental health problem!

Absolutely.

It's the go to problem for when some one is being an ass.

Every kid at school who is a bully, or an absolute nightmare now has mental health issues. It's got to the stage now where no one is just horrible, they always have some  "issue"

Like you say, it completely dilutes real mental health problems.

If you don't like what you see - don't join social media. 

A platform that is both good and bad. 

I don't like The Sun, so I don't buy it. I don't like Coronation Street, so I don't watch it. I don't like R&B, so I don't listen to it. 

Unfortunately, being in the public eye and in a sport such as football, you are opening yourself up to fans 24/7 by being on there. Doesn't excuse it, but you'll not stop the power of the internet and idiots from taking control and abusing players - so just don't open yourself up to it. 

4 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

I don't like The Sun, so I don't buy it. I don't like Coronation Street, so I don't watch it. I don't like R&B, so I don't listen to it. 

Unfortunately, being in the public eye and in a sport such as football, you are opening yourself up to fans 24/7 by being on there. Doesn't excuse it, but you'll not stop the power of the internet and idiots from taking control and abusing players - so just don't open yourself up to it. 

I agree with you but the difference sadly, is that people like the attention  - they like to give off a lifestyle/a persona on these formats.

Picture of their tea, showing them on holiday, converse with people in the same house on it!!

It's really sad when you think about it.

They are like children and when they don't get ''nice attention'' they just can't handle it.

2 hours ago, torres said:

The social media aspects for their job are more than likely ran by a media company - no need to be involved personally 

Twitter or Facebook can be an excellent tool for businesses or Organisations  - i have no idea why individuals feel the need to have their own page!!

It's purely a self importance thing and aching to be liked 

Anyone who is on it then gets mardy because ''people are putting nasty comments'' needs to look at themselves first 

Firstly... no. The use of ‘companies’ to manage social media profiles has dwindled to virtually nil nowadays except for the very, very biggest stars. Even if a company does run an account, the person is still likely to see the stuff being posted.

Secondly, that doesn’t excuse it. In fact none of your post excuses any form of abuse.

Why should someone being called names and having nasty stuff said about them Look at themselves first? That’s a ridiculous notion.

3 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Firstly... no. The use of ‘companies’ to manage social media profiles has dwindled to virtually nil nowadays except for the very, very biggest stars. Even if a company does run an account, the person is still likely to see the stuff being posted.

Secondly, that doesn’t excuse it. In fact none of your post excuses any form of abuse.

Why should someone being called names and having nasty stuff said about them Look at themselves first? That’s a ridiculous notion.

Why be on it as an individual then??

30 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Doesn’t excuse it. Exactly. The rest of your post is superfluous to this point.

Why people feel the need to blame the victims instead of calling out the actual bad actors is mind-boggling.

It is a minor equivalent to saying someone should be raped because of the way they dress, or someone deserves to be burgled because they left their door unlocked...

”You can’t have nice things simply because there’s a few nasty folk out there”

Kind of weird to see people say that your problems with your family are much easier to handle when you earn a lot of money. As a father of two teenage girls, I can say that if I got the weekly wages the footballers earn, my problems with them would still not be smaller. The constant worry and battle of strong wills is there, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that players have a hard time trying to concentrate on their work because of these everyday issues. Probably their missus gets on their backs the same way as anyone else's when you seem to spend too much time away from home. Sure, you can hire an army of people taking care of the house and whatever, but you are still responsible for the family yourself.

Guest Bulgaria
3 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Why shouldn’t people? If they want to?

In a perfect world maybe.

Unfortunately we live in a society that has idiots and as a consequence you have to be sensible or take precautions.

I don't think anyone is advocating any type of abuse is acceptable, just if becomes too much mentally then having the option of turning off certain social media outlets, one would argue that option be taken.

12 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

But that point is irrelevant. If they want to, they should be able to without being abused, surely?

The point is these individuals are putting themselves in the public domain for no other reason than self promotion.

This is ALWAYS going to lead to certain levels of non positive feedback - its just human nature.

What used to be said behind peoples backs is being said online. 

Sad but true.

The person who popped over to tell you about their holiday is now doing it online  - people talked about that person behind closed doors, they are now saying it online.

If people stop being self obsessed in the first place then it would be problem solved

As was my question in the first place  - why go on it????

11 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

In a perfect world maybe.

Unfortunately we live in a society that has idiots and as a consequence you have to be sensible or take precautions.

I don't think anyone is advocating any type of abuse is acceptable, just if becomes too much mentally then having the option of turning off certain social media outlets, one would argue that option be taken.

So as a society we need to call out the abusers rather than excuse that poor behaviour, surely?

Telling people they shouldn't do something just because someone else might be nasty to them is just ridiculous.

Guest Bulgaria
Just now, DeeJayOne said:

So as a society we need to call out the abusers rather than excuse that poor behaviour, surely?

Telling people they shouldn't do something just because someone else might be nasty to them is just ridiculous.

Don't think anyone would disagree with that.