Mental Health and the Players

1 minute ago, torres said:

The point is these individuals are putting themselves in the public domain for no other reason than self promotion.

This is ALWAYS going to lead to certain levels of non positive feedback - its just human nature.

What used to be said behind peoples backs is being said online. 

Sad but true.

The person who popped over to tell you about their holiday is now doing it online  - people talked about that person behind closed doors, they are now saying it online.

If people stop being self obsessed in the first place then it would be problem solved

As was my question in the first place  - why go on it????

Again - none of that excuses the bad behaviour towards the people who choose to go on it.

4 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Again - none of that excuses the bad behaviour towards the people who choose to go on it.

Again no answer to why individuals use it

It's self promotion  - as is the video u have just put on. (of him not you)

Edited by torres

4 minutes ago, torres said:

Again no answer to why individuals use it

It's self promotion  - as is the video u have just put on. (of him not you)

Because that question is irrelevant to the root cause of the problem.

Why shouldn't people be able to use social media if they choose to without the fear of someone abusing them?

It isn't always self-promotion. We have a whole generation now who's entire life almost has included Twitter, Facebook, etc. We've evolved to a point where a lot of these social media channels have become a de facto way of communicating with their friends and family for a lot of people. A lot of people becoming famous today already have social media because of that and as they become famous will automatically get trolls and abusers having a go unsolicited.

But, even if it IS self promotion - it doesn't excuse the abuse.

As a society we need to call out the abusers rather than excuse that poor behaviour, surely?

Telling people they shouldn't do something just because someone else might be nasty to them is just ridiculous.

Just now, DeeJayOne said:

Why shouldn't people be able to use social media if they choose to without the fear of someone abusing them?

It isn't always self-promotion. We have a whole generation now who's entire life almost has included Twitter, Facebook, etc. We've evolved to a point where a lot of these social media channels have become a de facto way of communicating with their friends and family for a lot of people. A lot of people becoming famous today already have social media because of that and as they become famous will automatically get trolls and abusers having a go unsolicited.

As a society we need to call out the abusers rather than excuse that poor behaviour, surely?

Telling people they shouldn't do something just because someone else might be nasty to them is just ridiculous.

Absolutely James

2 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

Why is going on Facebook to chat with my family and friends in Australia self promotion ?

It isn't  - if thats all anyone does, then it isnt

Why do it on facebook with lots of different more private ways would be my question though 

And...

The abuse isn't always thrown AT that person directly - sometimes it is done in a roundabout way.

People will name and abuse folk indirectly - but the public means of doing so likely means the person being talked about will see it, or be told about it.

Take a read of this from The Star: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/hashtags-keiren-westwood-and-drink-your-local-bar-alex-millers-sheffield-wednesday-column-1884756?&amp

The abuse about the player in question wasn't posted AT that player directly, it was posted in reply to tweets from The Star, etc. That player will likely still either see it or be told about it and it can still affect their mental health.

7 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

i'm not saying don't do it i'm simply saying be aware of the dangers 

If you can't handle it mentally then don't go on it putting nonsense about yourself  - because you WILL get some negative comments  - its just the way of the world 

31 minutes ago, torres said:

Why do it on facebook with lots of different more private ways would be my question though 

Because I can choose who I speak to and contact them when we want. I don't use twitter because it's full of idiot trolls. What are these other private ways then?

38 minutes ago, torres said:

Sometimes for self-promotion. People do use social media  for self promotion. 

And what of it? You will have no doubt self-promoted in your own career at some stage.

You seem to be suggesting that if that's a motive, then that means abusive responses are some kind of self-inflicted injury. I think that's an appalling view, really. The main social media sites are a commons. They should be capable of being used as such.

7 minutes ago, torres said:

Phone, txt, whatsapp, email 

But why should they be excluded from popular platforms that millions of people use for positive reasons?

At times I would imagine it is unavoidable to see the abuse, simply just by being online. If someone is of a fragile mind it could probably be a vicious circle as well - not going online because they have had personal abuse in the past, they may ruminate about what is being posted about them and become down thinking about what is likely to have been posted about them without actually seeing it.

1 minute ago, thewookieisdown said:

Sometimes for self-promotion. People do use social media  for self promotion. 

And what of it? You will have no doubt self-promoted in your own career at some stage.

You seem to be suggesting that if that's a motive, then that means abusive responses are some kind of self-inflicted injury. I think that's an appalling view, really. The main social media sites are a commons. They should be capable of being used as such.

I've never needed to self promote 

Maybe self promotion was too highbrow a phrase for what it is.

Really it's just showing off isn't it.

I just don't get and never will why people put pictures of themselves up on stuff like that, or tell you what they are going to do or have done.

There are so many more private ways of doing it

5 minutes ago, torres said:

I've never needed to self promote 

Maybe self promotion was too highbrow a phrase for what it is.

Really it's just showing off isn't it.

I just don't get and never will why people put pictures of themselves up on stuff like that, or tell you what they are going to do or have done.

There are so many more private ways of doing it

There are. 

And I'm privately minded. I do use FB, almost wholly because it has a good page for the village we live in. 

Others are different

2 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

There are. 

And I'm privately minded. I do use FB, almost wholly because it has a good page for the village we live in. 

Others are different

Twitter and Facebook are great for general stuff like that.

News, organisations, business, community projects etc  - easy to access news for the public and cheap and far reaching for the organisations putting on the info.

Brilliant

Jane Simpson showing everyone what she has had for tea - madness!!

3 minutes ago, torres said:

Twitter and Facebook are great for general stuff like that.

News, organisations, business, community projects etc  - easy to access news for the public and cheap and far reaching for the organisations putting on the info.

Brilliant

Jane Simpson showing everyone what she has had for tea - madness!!

You ok hun lol

• Haha 1