Mental Health and the Players

30 minutes ago, torres said:

I've never needed to self promote 

Maybe self promotion was too highbrow a phrase for what it is.

Really it's just showing off isn't it.

I just don't get and never will why people put pictures of themselves up on stuff like that, or tell you what they are going to do or have done.

There are so many more private ways of doing it

But people don't just use it to self promote, they discuss things and find news. Westwood tweeted recently about one of our young fans doing a bike ride to the Barnsley game for charity. No doubt him raising awareness of this increased the money raised.

This is a social media platform that you choose to use. It is very well moderated but abuse still exists. Players know this forum is very active, they must be tempted to look and if not the reasons for them not looking are probably that they would not want to see critical comments or abuse aimed at them - which then means they are thinking about that anyway which can't help with the way they feel.   

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But people don't just use it to self promote, they discuss things and find news. Westwood tweeted recently about one of our young fans doing a bike ride to the Barnsley game for charity. No doubt him raising awareness of this increased the money raised.

This is a social media platform that you choose to use. It is very well moderated but abuse still exists. Players know this forum is very active, they must be tempted to look and if not the reasons for them not looking are probably that they would not want to see critical comments or abuse aimed at them - which then means they are thinking about that anyway which can't help with the way they feel.   

As i stated previously ''self promote'' was probably giving them too much credit.

Also as stated previously i believe twitter can be an excellent platform for business, organisations etc.

The charity kid could have used the Wednesday one, radio sheffield one etc

In terms of your second point -  so we should just lie and post positive stuff on here in case they have poorly feelings??? Give over!!!

Thanks Mr Chansiri for making it so expensive  - hope you are feeling fabulous 

Well played Joey, that pass to the crowd was so great to see, hope u are feeling wonderful 

2 minutes ago, torres said:

As i stated previously ''self promote'' was probably giving them too much credit.

Also as stated previously i believe twitter can be an excellent platform for business, organisations etc.

The charity kid could have used the Wednesday one, radio sheffield one etc

In terms of your second point -  so we should just lie and post positive stuff on here in case they have poorly feelings??? Give over!!!

Thanks Mr Chansiri for making it so expensive  - hope you are feeling fabulous 

Well played Joey, that pass to the crowd was so great to see, hope u are feeling wonderful 

As has been said a few times in this thread, there is a significant difference in being critical of performance and being abusive. Abuse still exists on this platform. 

You use social media platforms like this on a regular basis, why should footballers have to be precluded from using specific platforms because people are willing to direct personal abuse at them? The fault lies with the perpetrators. Some at the very top level do purely use it for self-promotion and advertising purposes but many others just want to use it in the same way millions of other people in society do. 

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

As has been said a few times in this thread, there is a significant difference in being critical of performance and being abusive. Abuse still exists on this platform. 

You use social media platforms like this on a regular basis, why should footballers have to be precluded from using specific platforms because people are willing to direct personal abuse at them? The fault lies with the perpetrators. Some at the very top level do purely use it for self-promotion and advertising purposes but many others just want to use it in the same way millions of other people in society do. 

they can use it if they wish 

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole if i were them 

I would say ''abuse'' is very very rare on here.

They get over praise if anything!! We had 6 pages on Iorfa for England 4 weeks ago!

Fox is made to sound like Roberto Carlos

And i've even seen Rhodes should be starting!!

A public forum is just that, a public forum. That said, whilst I think it’s okay to say a player had a poor game/you don’t rate them etc etc, there’s often times here where the line is crossed. But if the players read what’s on here it’s Cos they’ve actively looked out for it. 

The line is MASSIVELY crossed when players are hounded on their own social media pages.

I find negativity directed towards players counterproductive. Frustration is one thing, getting angry at games another, but screaming out so a player can hear you ‘you’re shitttt’ isn’t exactly gonna help.