Are the players bottlejobs?

I think many trot out the phrase "bottle job", myself included, when the team mess up a chance or an opportunity to what, improve a league position, put a poor team that haven't won however many games, or 1 in 17, to the sword, or to seize the chance to cement their place in the play offs ..

I think its easy to band out the bottle job phrase, i link it in to weak mentality and poor attitudes from the players

On 24/01/2020 at 14:58, Burnsie said:

Okay

It is time to address the elephant in the room. I wanted to post this a few times…but after the loss vs Blackburn, I thought I’d leave it a few days so I didn’t get excommunicated.

Anyway, every time we lose, we get many, many posters on here (some very regular and respected posters) that say the reason we lost was down to the fact that the players are “bottlers”, “spineless”, “cowards”.

A lot of the evidence for this links back to Wembley (in fact, in the current CC thread someone has mentioned that today).

Well, against Hull we didn’t play well… but did we bottle it? Or did we lose to a team that we’d not beaten that season (1 draw and 1 loss)…a team that finished places above us?  Moreover, of the “bottlers” only 2 “bottlejobs” started vs Blackburn (for those who link the current team to CC’s team). We also have a different manager!

Posters evidence the bottler tag due to the play-off defeats against Hudds. Now here, about 40-50% of the team are still around. And we were gash. However, maybe (as happens in big games…see many finals) two matched teams cancelled each other out. Remember, this Hudds team went up and stayed up. And then we have the “best chance to get promoted since…” Why? Cos it was “only” Reading in the final? Again, a team that finished above us and we didn’t beat them that season??? It wasn’t a forgone conclusion if we’d not “bottled” Hudds. It doesn’t matter Reading wasn’t a “name” at the time!

Earlier this season when we had the chance to go third for the first time and lost (was it to Blackburn again!!)…”bottlers” “always let you down”….

But a few games later we put a run together and did get third…were we bottlers then?

Loss over Christmas = Bottlers

Win away at Brighton and Leeds = never mentioned

Loss vs Blackburn and they are bottlers again.

They cant be bottlers every time they lose of game, surely? If they were bottlers, they wouldn’t win any game, especially hard ones? Moreover, they wouldn’t be professional footballers playing very high up in the game. As many people have said, skill only takes you so far…and playing for a Championship team is very, very far! If they were bottlers, I doubt they would be pros!

So maybe, just maybe, we are just not as good as people seem to think? Have we improved since CC days? If not, why do people suddenly expect us to be up there challenging? The players haven’t shown they are good enough, surely?

“yes, but the players are talented…look at Hutch…he would have been a Chelsea regular if he didn’t get injured….” Well, we’ll never know, cos he did.

At the start of the season, I thought we’d finish around 7-10th, I think we’re probably gonna do that (EFL depending!). Maybe we’ll finish there cos that’s how good we are based on all the teams in this league, not because of mental fortitude.

But just stop with the “bottlers” tag, it just seems lazy, immature and venomous. 

After considering new evidence that recently came to light....

I still believe that the players do not have the ability to gain promotion..... And that they are a bunch of bottlers!!!! 

• Haha 5

I believe the stats are something like:

• 15 points lost in the last 10 minutes of games
  • 5 points won in the last 10 minutes of games

Not sure how this compares to the rest of the league but it's concerning and definitely gives justification for using the term 'bottle jobs' to describe one of the oldest squads in the division. 

They’re just not very good. The side is made of free transfers and players signed for less than 1m.

The players who are still here from 4 years ago are older, crocked or past it.

Can call them bottlejobs etc, i just think we have a hugely over inflated view of them. They’re bang average and more than capable of going on a losing streak as we’re currently seeing.