Finally experience at the helm

Some good points, yes I wanted Cowley, but not blinded by their inexperience at this level or style of play. 

In the cold light of day, comparing to Monk, we have a manager experienced in the championship and premier league. Both similar age, both good man managers  and monks style of football considered to be more attractive.

Weve also saved £1m on compensation  which can be spent on the squad in January (just as long as we don't let monks agent near it)

A good week with the lads on the training pitch and I'm very much looking forward to seeing how we perform next time out at huddersfield.

All in all, I think weve got what most wanted, a young forward thinking manager, with championship experience, who gets the best out of players and tries to play good football.

1 hour ago, Great Big Galaa said:

Firstly despite being only 40 he has got decent managerial experience at big clubs and most importantly for where we are, championship experience.

Because of the size of the clubs he’s managed particularly Leeds, he should be able to handle the schizophrenic nature of some of our fan base?

I think he knows that his reputation in the game at the moment is a bit patchy particularly with his tendency to be at clubs for just a year or so. He needs to show he can hang around for 3 years or more at a club and bring stability as well as success. With the way the Chairman runs our club he has a better than average chance of doing this here?

Like most fans I’ve done a bit of google searching and reading articles on his tactics and footballing influences. He states Brendan Rodgers as his greatest influence and he’s played for some good managers over the years notably Roberto Martinez and Michael Laudrup as well as Rodgers when he was at Swansea. I see he also spent some time with Unai Emery when he was at Sevilla.

What I see at this moment in time is a young forward thinking manager who isn’t afraid of to take on new ideas, methods and approaches to the game. He’s hungry and has something to prove. He could be a real success here but my one drawback is how much he’ll allow Bullen to influence him going forward. It might seem that by my recent posts that I’ve got it in for Bullen. I haven’t and I do respect what he’s done for the club in various capacities but it annoys me that in three spells as caretaker manager there are always periods where he doesn’t seem to have a grasp on the issues that we have all seen for ourselves notably the full-back problem and the balance of our midfield where you would think he’d want to show everyone that he has his finger on the pulse far more than the managers he’s replaced?

Finally good luck Garry, you’re going to need it :biggrin:

Good post and I think youre spot on about Bullen. I think he has limitations as a coach and certainly as a manager, but he obviously tows the company line an says the right things to the chairman.

I suspect this is because being at Wednesday is a nice steady job for him and it allows his wife to pursue her business in Sheffield and for his family to have a nice comfortable living without having to  regularly uproot themselves. 

2 hours ago, dowls said:

Monk beaten us every time he’s played us he recognises our weakness with this squad. He’ll know what he needs to plug. He’s hamstring due to the window for now but he’s got solid week to work with the players.

Hes got a good set of games up until 12th October to get to know them mentally now as well, it’s a timely appointment.

Monk’s Birmingham side failed to beat us when we played them in January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46677129

4 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Did they have belief in Bullen, or did they think he was always a stop gap? Don’t know, but that mental second half last week was enough to suggest he clearly wasn’t ready and I’m sure the more seasoned pros at the club probably thought what the hell is going on. I’ve no doubt Monk can come in and implement his own style on the team and the management - I don’t think it’s an issue for now that hes come on his own, they’re capable in the backroom and under Bruce had some fine form in the last twenty games last year. 

How many of the 'seasoned pros' have had the experience of Bullen, either as a player or a Manager?

Maybe this is a case of the tail wagging the dog?

Monk has got the experience of managing not only a moderate Championship side (us) but has Championship AND premiership experience, and should be young enough, and have been 'outside' the group to stamp his authority on the side. 

4 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Monk came out of nowhere, alright - but when you look at that list of managers from SkyBet who did anyone actually have absolute confidence would do the job here? 

Chris Hughton? And he was never going to come here. The Cowleys were a massive gamble - yes, they’d have been an ‘out of the box’ choice but no track record of above League 1 and we’ve all talked about Hurst and Jones....and they’re riding a wave which could crash soon, 3 months time there could be a different view on them. 

Now Monk - Championship experience with two of the better teams in this division with over 45% win rate at them, and steadied a falling a ship with Birmingham (with a set of nobody players ey DC). He can get the best out of a bad bunch and right now, we need someone in to get a grip with these players, some direction and most of all they need belief in the manager and I think they’ll get that. 

Did they have belief in Bullen, or did they think he was always a stop gap? Don’t know, but that mental second half last week was enough to suggest he clearly wasn’t ready and I’m sure the more seasoned pros at the club probably thought what the hell is going on. I’ve no doubt Monk can come in and implement his own style on the team and the management - I don’t think it’s an issue for now that hes come on his own, they’re capable in the backroom and under Bruce had some fine form in the last twenty games last year. 

So now weve we’ve got a Championship manager in - why are we so up in arms? Just get behind him, feedback from other fans is he is a complete 100% and we need that and the players need that kick. A tough month ahead but I think we’ll see some impact. 

I said this in another thread, but there’s only us lot who could whinge at not hiring a lower league inexperienced manager who’s never amanaged at this level over a solid Championship manager - one of them looks a safe bet, and if the Cowleys had a disaster then people would be gunning for DC more than ever - they wouldn’t get more time than anyone else either. 

Roll on Huddersfield

UTO

Well said. Some are never happy. We are not blessed with a great squad. So experience counts. Monk is steady and knows his way in the Campionship.

So let's give him a chance he?

Garry Monk is an intelligent and very capable manager. He’s had a huge amount of management experience and he’s only 40 years old. I’ve no doubts he can handle the Wednesday job. I prefer this appointment to the Cowley brothers. That would represent a big risk to me plus we would have to pay compensation out.