Finally experience at the helm

Monk came out of nowhere, alright - but when you look at that list of managers from SkyBet who did anyone actually have absolute confidence would do the job here? 

Chris Hughton? And he was never going to come here. The Cowleys were a massive gamble - yes, they’d have been an ‘out of the box’ choice but no track record of above League 1 and we’ve all talked about Hurst and Jones....and they’re riding a wave which could crash soon, 3 months time there could be a different view on them. 

Now Monk - Championship experience with two of the better teams in this division with over 45% win rate at them, and steadied a falling a ship with Birmingham (with a set of nobody players ey DC). He can get the best out of a bad bunch and right now, we need someone in to get a grip with these players, some direction and most of all they need belief in the manager and I think they’ll get that. 

Did they have belief in Bullen, or did they think he was always a stop gap? Don’t know, but that mental second half last week was enough to suggest he clearly wasn’t ready and I’m sure the more seasoned pros at the club probably thought what the hell is going on. I’ve no doubt Monk can come in and implement his own style on the team and the management - I don’t think it’s an issue for now that hes come on his own, they’re capable in the backroom and under Bruce had some fine form in the last twenty games last year. 

So now weve we’ve got a Championship manager in - why are we so up in arms? Just get behind him, feedback from other fans is he is a complete 100% and we need that and the players need that kick. A tough month ahead but I think we’ll see some impact. 

I said this in another thread, but there’s only us lot who could whinge at not hiring a lower league inexperienced manager who’s never amanaged at this level over a solid Championship manager - one of them looks a safe bet, and if the Cowleys had a disaster then people would be gunning for DC more than ever - they wouldn’t get more time than anyone else either. 

Roll on Huddersfield

UTO

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Well said OP.

I think we are in good hands with Monk. To be honest I haven’t seen many have a go at the appointment - mostly people having a go at people having a go which as I said isn’t many, just that negativity has a loud voice sometimes.

Onwards and upwards 

I think if the Cowleys hadn’t become visible with the bookies then Monk would’ve got a better reception - and I agree, negativity has a loud voice 

I agree with the OP 100%.

What Monk will need is some time.

SB began an overhaul of playing staff but the spine of the team are still CCs guys.

Either GM will need time to move them on or get them playing his way, don't forget this is their 4th manager in as many years (not counting LB).

Just now, Fuzzy logics said:

Whover we ended up with, experienced or not, he'll be judged on performances, results and to some extent media presence.

If he gets these right he's on to a winner and will be here a while, If not he'll be gone at the end of the season. 

Good luck Garry.

Totally agree

But it is f*cking madness to an extent - the same spine that has failed to get us up there since CC, but we still expect it.

Big challenge and he must know it, but I still believe the squad is good enough to grind out a playoff spot 

I get the feeling that the fans were hoping for a manager who could come in and enthuse the fanbase, raise the moral.  Whilst he has decent track record he's no messiah.  Such as Atkinson, Charlton or dare I say it Carlos. 

Time will tell if he's successful, get a few quick wins under his belt and the fans will have more belief in him get off to a bad start then he will have an uphill battle convincing them he's the man for the job.

Like I have said on another forum, probably take until post the next international break to see the impact of Monk on selection, tactics, the game plan.

That was my issue with Bullen what was our identity as a team. 

The key for Monk, get our midfield working more effectively. 

1 minute ago, TodwickOwl said:

Totally agree

But it is f*cking madness to an extent - the same spine that has failed to get us up there since CC, but we still expect it.

Big challenge and he must know it, but I still believe the squad is good enough to grind out a playoff spot 

I think he'll relish the challenge of being able to have a large input into the overall running of the club. No CEO, DOF and an absent chairman should give him the opportunity. He'll end up bringing additional staff in I'm sure.

I think some are in for a suprise with Monk, he'll be ruthless in his pursuit of success which is exactly what we need. I for one hope he gets it right and makes S6 his home for a few years to come.

3 minutes ago, mkowl said:

In home decorating terms it's a magnolia appointment. But it will do what it says on the tin.

OK MK I’ll bite who wasn’t magnolia ? If you accept first choice didn’t want the job?

p.s. DC given 2 non championship experienced managers a good old go previously?

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

Like I have said on another forum, probably take until post the next international break to see the impact of Monk on selection, tactics, the game plan.

That was my issue with Bullen what was our identity as a team. 

The key for Monk, get our midfield working more effectively. 

Midfield has been nonexistent so far this season. First point of call for Monk.

3 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

I get the feeling that the fans were hoping for a manager who could come in and enthuse the fanbase, raise the moral.  Whilst he has decent track record he's no messiah.  Such as Atkinson, Charlton or dare I say it Carlos. 

Time will tell if he's successful, get a few quick wins under his belt and the fans will have more belief in him get off to a bad start then he will have an uphill battle convincing them he's the man for the job.

There was no names on the list that would have done that, that was the problem. 

The Cowleys would have raised intrigue but no guarantee.

I simply want us to play in a positive manner. Not gung ho, but take the game to the opposition, let them worry about us, bit more action in and around the penalty area

10 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Totally agree

Monk beaten us every time he’s played us he recognises our weakness with this squad. He’ll know what he needs to plug. He’s hamstring due to the window for now but he’s got solid week to work with the players.

Hes got a good set of games up until 12th October to get to know them mentally now as well, it’s a timely appointment.

2 minutes ago, mkowl said:

There was no names on the list that would have done that, that was the problem. 

The Cowleys would have raised intrigue but no guarantee.

I simply want us to play in a positive manner. Not gung ho, but take the game to the opposition, let them worry about us, bit more action in and around the penalty area

I can't argue with that.

4 minutes ago, dowls said:

OK MK I’ll bite who wasn’t magnolia ? If you accept first choice didn’t want the job?

p.s. DC given 2 non championship experienced managers a good old go previously?

See my other post, they all were 

Carlos was a vibrant pink, Jos a very bland grey. There wasn't much of a colour range tbf

2 minutes ago, Trumpton Fire Statio said:

I say we just roll with it...im sure he'll gloss over the cracks and give any negativity the brush off.

It's not his start that counts we just want a nice finish.

Perhaps just drink the white spirit and not care