Megson

29 minutes ago, Anlaby Owl said:

Please explain.  From my memory he started our rise up the 'pub league' he just didn't get the chance to finish the job because he was willing to pick a player; against the wish of the chairman.  That's how I remember it anyway.

We were in 2nd place, then we weren't and falling out of contention...because we were losing a lot of games (against the mighty Exeter, Stevenage and Chesterfield no less)...then he got sacked and we started winning a lot of games...culminating in promotion. That last part wouldn't have happened if we'd stuck with him.

That's how I remember it anyway.

1 minute ago, roaminowl said:

We were in 2nd place, then we weren't and falling out of contention...because we were losing a lot of games (against the mighty Exeter, Stevenage and Chesterfield no less)...then he got sacked and we started winning a lot of games...culminating in promotion. That last part wouldn't have happened if we'd stuck with him.

How do you know?  If I remember rightly we lost two then battered our neighbours in megson last game.    With the Dross that megson inherited it was a miracle we were up there in the first place..it was only the success of Antonio and the lad on loan from Newcastle (both of which I recall as being megson signings) that made promotion possible at all.  Dave Jones showed how good he was at signing players shortly after this.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, roaminowl said:

I'm afraid that's pure conjecture (the part about we would not have gone on a tremendous winning run under megson). No one knows what would have happened had megson stayed in charge.

All we know is he started the winning run (iirc), built the team (for the most part) and had us generally higher up the table than previously.

This post sacking denigration of megson is weird. Yes his football wasn't the bees knees. No he wasn't stylish but people seem to let this overshadow the generally agreed consensus that his tenure was a successful one (as far as it could have been).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

I'm afraid that's pure conjecture (the part about we would not have gone on a tremendous winning run under megson). No one knows what would have happened had megson stayed in charge.

All we know is he started the winning run (iirc), built the team (for the most part) and had us generally higher up the table than previously.

This post sacking denigration of megson is weird. Yes his football wasn't the bees knees. No he wasn't stylish but people seem to let this overshadow the generally agreed consensus that his tenure was a successful one (as far as it could have been).

Amen brother.