How many of our best XI regularly start?

18 hours ago, George Whitebread said:

Is anyone else getting pee'd off at not seeing the starting XI you really want to see?

This is what I think our best XI (minus the long-term injured) probably is. 

.............................. Westwood ..............................
................ Lees ......... Hector ......... Pudl .............
Pelupessy .... Hutchinson .... Bannan ......... Boyd 

..... Reach .................. Joao ........... Forestieri .....

__
I'd at least like to see how this side would do, anyway. 

And, before anyone loses their shizzle over the RWB. I think he's the best we have for that position and he's not as good in DM as Hutchinson, so the solution is obvious to me.
Plus, Sammy helping him on that side and Bannan helping Boyd works in my head. Penny coming on for Boyd if his legs go. 
__

Anyway, my point is that I think that only 4 of our best players are consistently selected (Lees, Pelupessy, Bannan, Reach)
I know that Hector & Pudl are sometimes, but not always. Let's say 4-6 and do a deal at 5 - still less than half a team!

How many of your best XI are regular starters? 

To be fair this is a decent post. whilst that team isn't exactly what id pick it isn't far off.

I am one who believes consistency breeds form. And we don't have neither.

Jos Out.

My best 11 would be:

Dawson

Hector Lees Thornley

Reach Hutchinson (c) Bannan Penney

Matias Joao Forestieri

2 hours ago, sternlad said:

Mornin all, I find one thing very odd about the issue of not playing the “ has beens” (for want of a better term), that is, if these players aren’t going to feature, why haven’t we terminated a few contracts “by mutual consent”? Is this only done if players have been “nawtee” in some way? The one big issue for me is who the f*** at the club is negotiating these contracts that seem to favour good professional players being able to sit in the stand/at home and pick up an astronomical wage? Football has changed a hell of a lot in my lifetime, it’s hard to fathom as someone who would have given his right arm/******** to step out onto the hallowed ‘plastic’of Hillsborough, that these players don’t appear to want to play for any team. My life is becoming that of Victor Meldrew, “I just don’t believe it!” (Where ‘it’ represents any information coming from S6.:picnic:

Embargo?

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

To be fair this is a decent post. whilst that team isn't exactly what id pick it isn't far off.

Jos Out.

My best 11 would be:

Dawson

Hector Lees Thornley

Matias Joao Forestieri

Who plays and is captain when Hutch is inevitably injured?  

3 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

The kind of player I'm talking about doesn't cost an absolute fortune. How much did we pay for Antonio's first season? Probably just wages as he was on loan from Reading. And JJ? Wasn't that 100k?

If you re-read my initial post, I added the caveat "even with limited other abilities". Pace + talent = Sterling or Sane and costs an absolute fortune; a fast player with the ability to shoot or put in a decent cross, say 1 in 4, would still change the opposition set up and hence our play too, but it wouldn't cost the earth, and shouldn't be too difficult for a half decent scout to identify. 

You mention Joao, Matias and FF, and your original point, I.e. playing our best players. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but weren't MM and FF playing until they got injured? And MM was back on as sub as soon as he was fit again? Joao too gets game time. It's just that he's infuriatingly inconsistent and doesn't warrant a regular start. Either way, none of those three could be described as quick.

Yeah. I said "unless you can fluke finding a rough diamond". 
And, like I said, they're generally pants when they first sign. Just like Antonio was, and like JJ was. 
It takes a good couple of seasons to refine those players. And that's if you have the right coaching staff, which I'm not sure we have. 
Antonio as he is right now must be worth about £10M. We can't afford that kind of fee. 
But, hey, if we can find one... brilliant!!! I'm with you on their being a need. 

MM & FF don't seem to play whenever they're not injured. The fact that the got the odd game a while ago is nowhere near enough. 
Jos doesn't like playing players like that because he values defensive attributes above all else. And that's our main issue right now. 

Players that bring flair and creativity in the final third are going to be infuriating at times. But if they just went through the motions and didn't try a few things that don't necessarily come off, they wouldn't have what it takes to unlock a stalemate, which is kind of the point of having them. 

If the three that we already have are not quick enough, then you really are talking about absolute fortunes or flukey rough diamond that might come good in a couple of years if you're lucky territory. 

4 minutes ago, George Whitebread said:

MM & FF don't seem to play whenever they're not injured. The fact that the got the odd game a while ago is nowhere near enough. 
Jos doesn't like playing players like that because he values defensive attributes above all else. And that's our main issue right now.

Matias started every game he was fit this season. One of the few in fact.

And the way he played when he came on last Friday I expect he has earned his shirt back for Derby.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

And the way he played when he came on last Friday I expect he has earned his shirt back for Derby.

Not his biggest fan but he looked keen and lively...and crucially (for us) rapid.

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Fair enough. I didn't think he was supposed to be out for long when he picked up a knock. Then with us having a string of top table opposition, it seemed as though Jos was being ultra-defensive, as seems to be his default setting.

It doesn't help that he's only started 3 games at Hillsborough and he was taken off despite playing well on about 70 mins on all three occasions. 

20 hours ago, George Whitebread said:

Is anyone else getting pee'd off at not seeing the starting XI you really want to see?

This is what I think our best XI (minus the long-term injured) probably is. 

.............................. Westwood ..............................
................ Lees ......... Hector ......... Pudl .............
Pelupessy .... Hutchinson .... Bannan ......... Boyd 

..... Reach .................. Joao ........... Forestieri .....

__
I'd at least like to see how this side would do, anyway. 

And, before anyone loses their shizzle over the RWB. I think he's the best we have for that position and he's not as good in DM as Hutchinson, so the solution is obvious to me.
Plus, Sammy helping him on that side and Bannan helping Boyd works in my head. Penny coming on for Boyd if his legs go. 
__

Anyway, my point is that I think that only 4 of our best players are consistently selected (Lees, Pelupessy, Bannan, Reach)
I know that Hector & Pudl are sometimes, but not always. Let's say 4-6 and do a deal at 5 - still less than half a team!

How many of your best XI are regular starters? 

Thornily was probably out most consistent defender and making less mistakes then lees, Hector and pudil... 

Then jos inexplicably drops him and we lose 3 on the bounce. Quite baffling at times. 

Boyd has done nothing since he signed, was renowned for having a good engine and plenty of legs, but has looked awful when he's played. 

Westwood has been deteriorating since Carlos first season and played/contributed  less and less over a season, how do we know he's still a better keeper than Dawson?? 

Yes he's older, wiser and probably a more commanding figure, but maybe his actual goalkeeping has deteriorated.?? 

Jones would maybe make a useful sub for 20mins here' or they're off the bench where needed, but that's about all. 

As for joao, needs to find some consistency and more application as he just Dosent do enough in games or hold the ball up as a target man bringing others into the game, yes he scores goals, but I think he fits better alongside a fletcher /hooper /Nuhiu in a two, but we've been playing 1 with three in behind majoritily. 

3 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Jos Out.

My best 11 would be:

Dawson

Hector Lees Thornley

Matias Joao Forestieri

Can't argue with almost all that bud, just unsure joao can play as the central striker, he's all too often a bit lazy and not up for a fight with a strong cb or more. 

12 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Can't argue with almost all that bud, just unsure joao can play as the central striker, he's all too often a bit lazy and not up for a fight with a strong cb or more. 

I agree sometimes but then others he looks perfectly suited to it. Just wanna see them three up top for pace !!!!!

53 minutes ago, George Whitebread said:

Fair enough. I didn't think he was supposed to be out for long when he picked up a knock. Then with us having a string of top table opposition, it seemed as though Jos was being ultra-defensive, as seems to be his default setting.

It doesn't help that he's only started 3 games at Hillsborough and he was taken off despite playing well on about 70 mins on all three occasions. 

I don’t think it’s critical that it’s Matias. I think any two from MM, FF and Joao playing wide of Fletcher (or an on-form Nuhiu) gives good balance and threat.