#OnThisDay in 1977 -

#OnThisDay in 1977 the Stranglers were in the Top 10 with "No More Heroes" but luckily for #SWFC,  one of the biggest Wednesday heroes of all time was sat in the crowd of 12,920 as #SWFC beat Chesterfield 1-0. with a goal from Tommy Tynan.  Thankfully BIg Jack ssaw something in the team/club and yes and gave us our Wednesday back #WAWAW

JCa.jpeg.517751730084f0adc5b352b683135d15.jpeg

JC.jpeg.efc17471be28fad4931f2d9bf48e2306.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Was sat in the North that day. It was common knowledge that Jack would be in the directors box and there was a chance he would take over. The match was pretty awful even though we scraped home and I think most of the crowd spent more time watching the directors box than the match. Massive relief when he said he would take the job.

It was the start of some great times, not without the odd hiccup, but we all knew we were in good hands

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

very happy memories of this period ,when i became a teenager and started going to matches on my own (several buses from dronfield including the 'soccer specials' from flat st  @ 2p a chuck !!). tommy tynan was a cult hero in them days :Pelupessy:

Yep Tommo was a star.

31 goals 76/78 before he was sold  out of the blue. Something to do with some major indiscretion behind the scenes.

Didnt he eventually join Len at Newport?

He then went on to be a club legend at Plymouth.

A prolific scorer on his day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ibbo48 said:

Yep Tommo was a star.

31 goals 76/78 before he was sold  out of the blue. Something to do with some major indiscretion behind the scenes.

Didnt he eventually join Len at Newport?

He then went on to be a club legend at Plymouth.

A prolific scorer on his day.

this tells us the difference between those days and today ... nothing was reported/known about said 'behind the scenes indiscretion' ( i didn't even know owt about it until now) but  life went on without the meltdown which would have occurred had it happened today !! lol 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

this tells us the difference between those days and today ... nothing was reported/known about said 'behind the scenes indiscretion' ( i didn't even know owt about it until now) but  life went on without the meltdown which would have occurred had it happened today !! lol 

Too right mate.

My only knowledge of it was pub rumour.

Also, today, if you sold a striker who then scored bucket loads for Newport and Plymouth, the OT classic response would be 

‘ found his level, then’ ;-)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ibbo48 said:

Too right mate.

My only knowledge of it was pub rumour.

Also, today, if you sold a striker who then scored bucket loads for Newport and Plymouth, the OT classic response would be 

‘ found his level, then’ ;-)

he was our top scorer then,just imagine selling reach/joao for peanuts today and seeing the reaction!! if only the posters of today could see this thread and understand the difference in society!

ps/ i think i heard he's a taxi driver in plymouth now :duntmatter:

• Like 2

Unfortunately most people under 30 are not remotely interested in how it was. They only care about the now.

The adage of ‘ you have to know where you’ve been to know where you’re going’ is totally lost on them

• Like 2

How about this from an article in the Guardian?

10 Tommy Tynan (1991)

Vital ingredients Booze, the game 'buzz', a kettle (used as a weapon)

As the Torquay team attempted to bond before the 1991 play-offs, a session of the drinking game 'buzz' was organised. When Tynan tried to break up an argument between his captain Wes Saunders and player-coach Russell Musker, Saunders punched Tynan, leaving him with a cut eye. The players then went to bed, but at 2am Tynan went to Saunders's room to seek vengeance and according to chairman Mike Bateson, 'he picked up the nearest thing handy, which was a kettle, and hit Wes with it'.

• Haha 3

The major indiscretion was supposedly that he was doinking someone he shouldn't have been at the time. The rumour was that it was JC's own daughter (who would have been 16 or 17 at the time) so that was it he had to go!

Edited by Utah Owl
  • Thanks 1