Tom Lees

5 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

Absolutely shocking effort from Lees, cat and whoever else was tracking back. I could see 3 players on the west Brom player and not one put a foot in or even attempted anything to stop the player ...

Absolutely flipping garbage.  so angry with that bottle job defending ...

Just put your body in where it hurts you flipping numpties

To be fair he'd have been better tripped up before it got to that part.  I'd have tripped him up and expected Lees to accidentally catch him in the kite with his knee on the way down and he'd have been happy to get back in the dressing room from there on in.

By the time it got to the part when one of the three should have nailed him he did this trick that bamboozled them all and then again and then BOOM!  Lees had the look of Forest Gump about him during the whole thing.  

It was a great run and fine skill from the fella that should have been halted in its tracks but fair play for a lovely goal.

43 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

I wonder if he is struggling being the leader of that defence.

You got Plamer who let's face it isn't good enough, Thorniley and Penney who are young lads along with a shaky Dawson in goal!

Still think Westwood would be a better at sorting defence out but it's not going to happen!

The same Palmer that Looven marshalled excellently?

Lees simply does not have it in him to lead. He's too busy concentrating on his own game and can't focus on others

We need a leader. I thought maybe hector but he's another that focuses on his own game

We seriously miss Loovens massively and Fred to an extent. He knew how to marshal the defence.

2 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

The same Palmer that Looven marshalled excellently?

Lees simply does not have it in him to lead. He's too busy concentrating on his own game and can't focus on others

We need a leader. I thought maybe hector but he's another that focuses on his own game

We seriously miss Loovens massively and Fred to an extent. He knew how to marshal the defence.

If we kept Hunt and Venancio we'd be top 2 in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, ElsecarOwl said:

IMO we don't have a natural leader at all.

Whilst I like the forward thinking of building a team around youth for the future, i believe we need a John Terry type to steady the ship.

We really do and have for a while.  We had Loovens but his legs weren't up to keeping his gob out there anymore.

The talk of Cahill recently made my willy twitch and I was all for Whelan as an option that maybe might work when he joined Villa. 

Hector maybe the man but probably needs to be here a little longer in order as not to cause upset in the ranks.

We miss Wallace and Hooper who are clever and crafty and snidey out there in games like tonight to at least give support to Lees.

Venancio was the one that got away and for some bizarre reason it took Jos and not the fella who signed him to discover this.  He was really looking the part at the back end of last season and I can see some of him in Hector.

Edited by sonofbert2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, s6 owl said:
  • More to blame for the 2nd goal than JP in my opinion just flipping smash him instead of jockeying for 30 yards. Get Thorniley back in for the next game because he is by far a better defender

Hes turned to poo imo .

Shadow of the player he was 

Captain?

2 hours ago, David1867 said:

Cant blame any of the 3 other defenders that had ample time to tackle him but lets blame the keeper! lol

So if Dawson made zero attempt to save it all, just watches it go in, by your logic, we still point the finger at the defenders? 

Really, you assess the defenders, which yes they were poor, but then you also assess Dawson and his role once the ball/shot came in to his domain, in which case he didn't do very well. 

You could also argue as to why he's not screaming like a lunatic at his defenders to commit a challenge, which if you watch him back, he's not doing. 

None of this makes him a bad keeper, but discussing his performance, you can say he played well but made a mistake, you don't have to be all one or the other, something which people on here really struggle with as a concept (not saying you do, just using your post to highlight it). 

27 minutes ago, hawksmore said:

So if Dawson made zero attempt to save it all, just watches it go in, by your logic, we still point the finger at the defenders? 

Really, you assess the defenders, which yes they were poor, but then you also assess Dawson and his role once the ball/shot came in to his domain, in which case he didn't do very well. 

You could also argue as to why he's not screaming like a lunatic at his defenders to commit a challenge, which if you watch him back, he's not doing. 

None of this makes him a bad keeper, but discussing his performance, you can say he played well but made a mistake, you don't have to be all one or the other, something which people on here really struggle with as a concept (not saying you do, just using your post to highlight it). 

The team and the whole stadium were like rabbits in headlights for that goal.

It was almost as if it was slow motion as it happened watching on telly (our players anyway).

It needed just one from the lot of them to do something to change what was about to happen and there wasn't too much Dawson could do about it once it got to his turn tbh although I do get the point you are making.  

Lees is a good player. He is what he is, a very good central defender and that’s it. Firstly, he isn’t a captain. Secondly, he plays miles better with a leader next to him. Finally, he is better in a conventional back 4. In my opinion, he is not good enough on the ball to play in a back 3. In this formation, you need your central defenders to be comfortable on the ball and to start attacks. I really do think we need to go with a back 4 again. 

We have dropped an almighty b0ll0ck by not bringing in a top quality replacement for Loovens who would be captain. If we had got that right, we would be doing a lot better and there would be no chopping and changing around at the back. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl

9 hours ago, s6 owl said:
  • More to blame for the 2nd goal than JP in my opinion just flipping smash him instead of jockeying for 30 yards. Get Thorniley back in for the next game because he is by far a better defender

There are two people to blame Joey... who should have hauled him down, and pudil who took up a position which meant Lee's couldn't block the shot. I'd have to watch it again but those were my initial thoughts.

21 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

There are two people to blame Joey... who should have hauled him down, and pudil who took up a position which meant Lee's couldn't block the shot. I'd have to watch it again but those were my initial thoughts.

Tom Lees, Pessy and whoever else were tracking back were powder puff .. i'd forgotten about it this morning but after checking Owlstalk, i'm back to fuming about how them 3 bottled any attempt to stop the West Brom player ...

tactical foul or heck even actually win the ball, slide in and put him off .. instead we left him to run at us and the rest is history ...

8 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

We really do and have for a while.  We had Loovens but his legs weren't up to keeping his gob out there anymore.

The talk of Cahill recently made my willy twitch and I was all for Whelan as an option that maybe might work when he joined Villa. 

Hector maybe the man but probably needs to be here a little longer in order as not to cause upset in the ranks.

We miss Wallace and Hooper who are clever and crafty and snidey out there in games like tonight to at least give support to Lees.

Venancio was the one that got away and for some bizarre reason it took Jos and not the fella who signed him to discover this.  He was really looking the part at the back end of last season and I can see some of him in Hector.

He got away because we was in a embargo

20 minutes ago, dan1980 said:

He got away because we was in a embargo

Embargo and because the previous incumbement and DC did not have anything in place already ... probably because CoCo didn't actually play Fred or deem him good enough which turned out well didn't it .. ffs