Red Button Coverage

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

It wants banning!!! Grounds will soon be even emptier than they are...football to most as always about going to the game, match of the day and super Sunday etc... 

when it was first announced I was all for it but having been hillsborough 2/3 times for midweek games, I’m totally against it!! 

Maybe your 18 with cash on the hip, maybe your live in Hillsborough, maybe you don't work shifts, maybe you don't have wife and kids, maybe you don't have a mortgage. 

Not everyone can attend all the time life gets in the way. 

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

The best way to describe it to anyone who has not seen it yet, it is like watching a reserve game in the south.

There is no atmosphere, the commentary is very poor, no replays, when a goal goes it back to restart.

BUT this is new from sky and give it 1`2-18 months this service will be like watching any other games on sky, think of what sky do they develop the service. 

People I know from work have already said that Sheff Utd are losing 2,000 a game with fans preferring to go to a pub than travel mid week games.

Meh, pigs ollox to em. 

55 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Its has already started Bristol CIty game is on the red button on Sunday - I think it is the Saturday 3pm games that currently are not on the red button only

https://www.skysports.com/watch/football-on-sky/competitions/championship

Saturday blackout is 2.45-5:15.

4 minutes ago, helmut_rooster said:

Maybe your 18 with cash on the hip, maybe your live in Hillsborough, maybe you don't work shifts, maybe you don't have wife and kids, maybe you don't have a mortgage. 

Not everyone can attend all the time life gets in the way. 

Actually, none of the above. There is nothing wrong with televised football and its a great thing to have but it needs to be regulated. Football used to always be about working all weeks then off to the match at 3.00pm on Saturday afternoon then 4.00pm on a Sunday...now its often on 7 days a week with games even falling on Thursday!! The reason for this...to line the pockets of Sky Sports.

It will soon be a world where fans don't sit in grounds, go to the pub to watch it or even discuss it in person. Football will be chatrooms, social media and the b@st@rd red button...stick it for me!! Get it back to good old days of 3.00pm of a Saturday, one televised game on a Sunday and the rest is either via actually going to the game or MOTD...believe it or not 10/15 years ago this actually happened and it worked pretty well.

3 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

It wants banning!!! Grounds will soon be even emptier than they are...football to most as always about going to the game, match of the day and super Sunday etc... 

when it was first announced I was all for it but having been hillsborough 2/3 times for midweek games, I’m totally against it!! 

Already having an affect and weather hasn't turned bad yet. 

Some really poor away followings, up to this morning Bristol City had sold 153 tickets for tonights game at Rotherham.

Last night

438 Boro at Ipswich

429 Swansea at Wigan

397 PNE at Villa

700 Bolton at Stoke

1,156 Brum at Brentford.

All lower than what you would expect even for midweek.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Already having an affect and weather hasn't turned bad yet. 

Some really poor away followings, up to this morning Bristol City had sold 153 tickets for tonights game at Rotherham.

Last night

438 Boro at Ipswich

429 Swansea at Wigan

397 PNE at Villa

700 Bolton at Stoke

1,156 Brum at Brentford.

All lower than what you would expect even for midweek.

Can see it now...February at home one Tuesday night, 15,000 with 250 away fans.

It might be a good option for the arm chair  fans who find every excuse not to go to games but for the club, attendances and the overall game it’s bad news!! 

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Can see it now...February at home one Tuesday night, 15,000 with 250 away fans.

It might be a good option for the arm chair  fans who find every excuse not to go to games but for the club, attendances and the overall game it’s bad news!! 

No its not bad news for the club, they already have the st money whether people turn up or not, the payg is down to the bare bones anyway, as far as away support support is concerned how many more do you think will attend at a midweek second division game in February. The club might as well take the TV money and perhaps close the west stand. 

37 minutes ago, Geedee said:

No its not bad news for the club, they already have the st money whether people turn up or not, the payg is down to the bare bones anyway, as far as away support support is concerned how many more do you think will attend at a midweek second division game in February. The club might as well take the TV money and perhaps close the west stand. 

Of course it is bad news for the club...you rightly state that POTG is down but do you honestly think the red button won’t impact on it even more ?? 

8 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Of course it is bad news for the club...you rightly state that POTG is down but do you honestly think the red button won’t impact on it even more ?? 

Three points 

The first point is the club are being paid money for this. It makes the club money if it was bad news the clubs would not do it 

Second yes a few may decide to watch it on the tele instead of paying on the gate but we are  talking low  hundreds of people not thousands. 

Thirdly there's no going back the technology exists and it's not going away. 

4 hours ago, Geedee said:

Three points 

The first point is the club are being paid money for this. It makes the club money if it was bad news the clubs would not do it 

Second yes a few may decide to watch it on the tele instead of paying on the gate but we are  talking low  hundreds of people not thousands. 

Thirdly there's no going back the technology exists and it's not going away. 

First point...so its got to stage where the club would sooner accept pittance (and it will be pittance) from Sky rather than having bums on seats?

Second point....it is more than a few as the attendance against Leeds proved. 21,000 season ticket holder plus 4,600 from Leeds!! You do the maths mate my guess is, that figure of POTG fans is down 50%. Leeds & the pigs are two games where you can realistically expect 30,000 plus and the POTG prices combined with the option of sitting at home and pressing the red button is having a major impact.

Third point...I totally agree with you but I totally disagree with the fact that its happening!!

I am someone who’s been watching the games on Sky. In fact, I upgraded my package to include sky sports mainly because of this. However, I wouldn’t have gone to any of the games if this wasn’t available.

I was a season ticket holder up until 2015 when my daughter was born but stil went regularly the following 2 seasons but dropped off last year and haven’t been at all this year. I don’t mean to be negative when there is a lot of positivity around the club at the mo, but the combo of membership costs and pay on the gate costs have just put me off as I didn’t see it as value for money (as well as not seeing family in little free time I have if I’m at football). 

Now I’m out of the habit, it makes it increasingly difficult to go. What I’m trying to say is the pricing strategy could have quite a long lasting impact on the club if I’m anything to go by, regardless of games on Sky.

Actually going to football matches is so 1970s ish.  

Modern man watches on his iPhone, iPlayer, red button, ifollow etc. 

Saves parking problems and sitting next to uncouth smelly people. 

The big clubs are happy with modern man as they probablyt 95% of their income from media and sponsorship.   

Lack of atmosphere will be a problem. Solved by 30,000 blow up individually tailored dummies.  Indistinguishable from the real thing.  Knocked off in China.  It's the future. Trust me. 

8 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

First point...so its got to stage where the club would sooner accept pittance (and it will be pittance) from Sky rather than having bums on seats?

Second point....it is more than a few as the attendance against Leeds proved. 21,000 season ticket holder plus 4,600 from Leeds!! You do the maths mate my guess is, that figure of POTG fans is down 50%. Leeds & the pigs are two games where you can realistically expect 30,000 plus and the POTG prices combined with the option of sitting at home and pressing the red button is having a major impact.

Third point...I totally agree with you but I totally disagree with the fact that its happening!!

1, We receive much more than pittance from sky for live games, it more than makes up for the few hundred that choose armchair over fresh air. 

2, Attendance was only 27,000 last season when we played Leeds. 

I'm not a fan of all these games under red button, it's killing away following already and home numbers will dwindle more once weather turns. 

Official West Brom numbers was just over 1,100, you would expect 2,500 normally for them when games not on tv. 

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

1, We receive much more than pittance from sky for live games, it more than makes up for the few hundred that choose armchair over fresh air. 

2, Attendance was only 27,000 last season when we played Leeds. 

I'm not a fan of all these games under red button, it's killing away following already and home numbers will dwindle more once weather turns. 

Official West Brom numbers was just over 1,100, you would expect 2,500 normally for them when games not on tv. 

On the grand scheme of the things and the cost of running the club...sky’s contribution is pittance. We’re not in the PL nor are we a Man U, city, Chelsea or Liverpool where we are on tv a minimum of 4/5 times a month.

It’s reported that tv rights for 2018/2019 season for the whole of the EFL is worth £90m...obviously the lions share if that is for championship clubs so based on 24 championship clubs that’s around £3.5m a season (based on 24 clubs). It will be a little bit less based on the fact it’s shared over L1 & L2...in the grand scheme of things it’s pittance.

Edited by Wednesday_Jack

1 minute ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

On the grand scheme of the things and the cost of running the club...sky’s contribution is pittance. We’re not in the PL nor are we a Man U, city, Chelsea or Liverpool where we are on tv a minimum of 4/5 times a month.

It’s reported that tv rights for 2018/2019 season for the whole of the EFL is worth £90m...obviously the lions share if that is for championship clubs so based on 24 championship clubs that’s around £3.5m a season (based on 24 clubs). It will be a little bit less based on the fact it’s shared over L1 & L2...in the grand scheme of things it’s pittance.

Thought you were going to say L**ds there :ghoulguy:

• Haha 1