Red Button Coverage

On 03/10/2018 at 12:39, alanharper said:

I've only used the red button service a handful of times - first time was the pigs at Boro early in the season which was a poor, fuzzy SD picture. Then I watched us at Forest the other week and another game the night before that, plus the Villa game last night and the picture quality was absolutely fine, pretty much HD standard, it looked no different to the game that was being fully broadcast on the HD channel and a million times better than the Champions League games that were being shown at the same time on my SD BT Sport box.

I've got fairly fast BT broadband, Sky Q and a 4k TV so maybe that's a factor. It was noted though on here for the Forest game that despite my picture being fine, the stream appeared to be about 30 seconds behind other Owlstalkers - I noticed early on that something was mentioned in the matchday thread that hadn't actually happened on my TV yet!

I've only used it twice and the Picture was fine both times 

Similar to you i have Virgin top package Broadband which is fast Virgins V6 box and an upscaling ( whatever the feerk that means ) 4k telly so maybe thats why its ok 

On 04/10/2018 at 17:49, Wednesday_Jack said:

On the grand scheme of the things and the cost of running the club...sky’s contribution is pittance. We’re not in the PL nor are we a Man U, city, Chelsea or Liverpool where we are on tv a minimum of 4/5 times a month.

It’s reported that tv rights for 2018/2019 season for the whole of the EFL is worth £90m...obviously the lions share if that is for championship clubs so based on 24 championship clubs that’s around £3.5m a season (based on 24 clubs). It will be a little bit less based on the fact it’s shared over L1 & L2...in the grand scheme of things it’s pittance.

From what I read we get a fee for each game that's shown live, home club for main game receives just over £200k and for games on red button £100k. 

Pittance for away club but owt is more than nowt.

4 minutes ago, bradowl said:

From what I read we get a fee for each game that's shown live, home club for main game receives just over £200k and for games on red button £100k. 

Pittance for away club but owt is more than nowt.

Its £100k for the home club mate on main sky mate. Each club in the championship acquire on average £6.5m a season from the EFL and TV rights. It’s broken down into 4 different criteria but when you think of the monthly cost of running the club it’s a drop in the ocean. Hence why I don’t think the red button is any good for attendances and the club in general.

Sky simply aren’t going to shell out anymore cash...they will pay the minimum to maximise their own profits!! 

On 04/10/2018 at 08:00, Wednesday_Jack said:

First point...so its got to stage where the club would sooner accept pittance (and it will be pittance) from Sky rather than having bums on seats?

Second point....it is more than a few as the attendance against Leeds proved. 21,000 season ticket holder plus 4,600 from Leeds!! You do the maths mate my guess is, that figure of POTG fans is down 50%. Leeds & the pigs are two games where you can realistically expect 30,000 plus and the POTG prices combined with the option of sitting at home and pressing the red button is having a major impact.

Third point...I totally agree with you but I totally disagree with the fact that its happening!!

I tend to agree with the core of your argument.  However,  the pedantic in me would like to know the last time we had 30,000+ for a Leeds game.

On 03/10/2018 at 18:46, Wednesday_Jack said:

Of course it is bad news for the club...you rightly state that POTG is down but do you honestly think the red button won’t impact on it even more ?? 

Without knowing the figures whose to say it’ll harm the clubs. If they get a percentage of sky’s membership revenue or something along those lines then I’m sure they’recoup the money lost from potgs 

I don't like to watch us on the telly, I go to the home games so its not a problem, but only make a few away...If I'm not there , I actually prefer to follow it on here, cos its not immediate.

If we are gonna lose...I like to lose slowly..

You refresh the Owlstalk page at 0-0...couple of posts...you know its still 0-0..refresh again...

It takes ages to load...the first you see is...

"REACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You f.ookin' celebrate before confirmation..

On the other hand..the first post you see after the lag is 

"FFS"..

you put yer head in yer hands

Its not immediate..The Joy or Sadness is suspended.

Its better than Stelling sayin' 

"Well guess what..Theres been a goal at whereverthe f.ook...... Sheffield Wednesday have not scored in 3 away games.....................................

You f.ookin' KNOW he's either gonna say..

"But they have now!!!"

OR

"And they still haven't"

It just postpones the inevitable for a minute..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

Its £100k for the home club mate on main sky mate. Each club in the championship acquire on average £6.5m a season from the EFL and TV rights. It’s broken down into 4 different criteria but when you think of the monthly cost of running the club it’s a drop in the ocean. Hence why I don’t think the red button is any good for attendances and the club in general.

Sky simply aren’t going to shell out anymore cash...they will pay the minimum to maximise their own profits!! 

What I read before was wrong then, this is what Villa earned last season  https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/championship-tv-money-aston-villa-12969621

Even at £100k per live game it should be more money than the gate receipts from the 2,000+ who prefer to watch it at home.

15 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I don't like to watch us on the telly, I go to the home games so its not a problem, but only make a few away...If I'm not there , I actually prefer to follow it on here, cos its not immediate.

If we are gonna lose...I like to lose slowly..

You refresh the Owlstalk page at 0-0...couple of posts...you know its still 0-0..refresh again...

It takes ages to load...the first you see is...

"REACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You f.ookin' celebrate before confirmation..

On the other hand..the first post you see after the lag is 

"FFS"..

you put yer head in yer hands

Its not immediate..The Joy or Sadness is suspended.

Its better than Stelling sayin' 

"Well guess what..Theres been a goal at whereverthe f.ook...... Sheffield Wednesday have not scored in 3 away games.....................................

You f.ookin' KNOW he's either gonna say..

"But they have now!!!"

OR

"And they still haven't"

It just postpones the inevitable for a minute..

I'm certainly with you on that, perhaps we are from a time when you spent Saturday refreshing Teletext, that was our way of watching if you couldntbhear the game on the radio.

I'll be honest being able to see more via ifollow or sky has been a revelation. I can now see more games. Which is brilliant. (I can actually afford to access my team's games again).

Edited by Maddogbob

6 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I'm certainly with you on that, perhaps we are from a time when you spent Saturday refreshing Teletext, that was our way of watching if you couldntbhear the game on the radio.

I'll be honest being able to see more via ifollow or sky has been a revelation. I can now see more games. Which is brilliant. (I can actually afford to access my team's games again).

I go back further mate...I can always remember me Uncle, listening to the final results on the BBC radio and knowing theWednesday  result halfway through ..before the Wednesdays goals had been announced 

I forget the game, but we were away somewhere..

It went summat like...

chelsea 2......................................SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY!!!.........................

and he knew by the inflection in the announcers voice we had got either 3 or 4...and he hit the roof before it was actually announced...I thought he was Nostardamus!!!