Embargo...

2 minutes ago, Plonk said:

It’s a brilliant idea ffp.  Liverpool can spend 60 million on a keeper, but we can only spend that in total over three years even though the owner wants to spend more. How the hell is that right?

I’m not so sure the owner{or his dad} wants to keep spending tbh 

2 minutes ago, Plonk said:

It’s a brilliant idea ffp.  Liverpool can spend 60 million on a keeper, but we can only spend that in total over three years even though the owner wants to spend more. How the hell is that right?

Makes no sense whatsoever Plonk.  

We keep hearing about clubs who should spend within their means yet we continually see transfer records smashed time after time. 

I often think to myself, if we will ever catch up with the top teams in the Premier league with the current restrictions in place?.  

14 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Makes no sense whatsoever Plonk.  

We keep hearing about clubs who should spend within their means yet we continually see transfer records smashed time after time. 

I often think to myself, if we will ever catch up with the top teams in the Premier league with the current restrictions in place?.  

well, we won't. You do know that, surely?

• Thanks 1

It really grinds my gears ( Peter Griffin ref) that tiny clubs like Bournemouth and Burnley can happily spend £20m on a player as they happen to be in the pl but decent sized clubs like us and Leeds, Forest, Derby et al can't as we are in the EFL and don't have the luxury of the tv income and subsequent parachute payments. We are now in this stupid "go for it for two seasons, cut back for the third" rediculous scenario now which is creating an odd league where you now have to evaluate where each club is on their spending cycle.

Lottery I know but it gets on my breests.

Wednesday go down season before parachute payments start

Wednesday have no money-every one spends millions and buy promotion

Wednesday have money-rules brought into play to stop rich clubs spending what they want. 

The Wednesday way

I know that the parachute payments are inflating the issue and the gaps in P&S, but personally I understand the merited reason for their intentions and avoiding clubs going bust in relegation. The issue is how clubs are using this and this is what should be enforced. They are designed to cover loss of income supporting high wages while they are reduced over the 3 yr cycle. Instead clubs use it to fund recruitment giving further unfair advantages. The PL should release the money to the EFL who can then manage that. If clubs sell like Newcastle to reinvest then fair enough. Wouldn't solve all issues but would certainly help. The other way would be to allow higher spending provided those figures were written off by the investor and note as credit notes. Do those 2 things and you've got fairer competition imo.

22 hours ago, southportdc said:

I'm not sure how they account for it tbh. If the transfer fees are spread out over the course of the contract in accounting (like they are for FFP), then I think we'll still be paying for most of the big transfers from the past two years. It means that investment isn't going up, for sure, but it could well by that Chansiri is still investing to cover past transfers to about the same level he was last year. 

Won't know til we see the accounts I suppose. 

It's possible, but if we're unable to afford things that aren't covered by FFP, then it means we're running out of money, which is a bigger worry than FFP (an artificial limit on spending).

I don't think there's been any evidence of that in other areas.

Like I've said, cash flow is king and we've had multiple years season ticket money up front.

My view is that the only reason for this was to boost short term cash flow in which case there has to be long term implications.

Selling multiple year tickets doesn't affect FFP because the income is accounted for in the relevant season but in all likelihood the cash is long gone :(

22 hours ago, Plonk said:

Have a look at the thread on the shop. Do you also think the week in Chester will have been free. Probably cost more than going to Portugal but as Jo’s said without wasting two days going there and back.

why do people feel the need to make up poo to make the club look bad. 

I haven't made anything up.

Was speculation based on a long career in business banking and a deep understanding of business dynamics.

I did add "I may be wrong, I know nowt" so wind yer neck in will ya.

17 hours ago, steelowl said:

TBF this or something like this was mooted just before the end of last season 

apparently, several clubs under rumoured investigation and we were one think Villa were another 

Jos going to have to pull a star or two out of the reserves because pretty sure if there's profit in the books for a player he may have to go 

ie FF Westwood Lees 

going to be an interesting season if so 

I did express concerns back in March when our 2017 accounts were published, but if I could see it I'm sure that DC could too.

I'm hoping that he has planned accordingly and we will be fine.

Guest Hillsborough Mole
4 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

FF and Bannan start then....

lol

Westwood clearly on his way then

Guest Hillsborough Mole
2 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

He probably is tbh and it would be a good move if he did.

But I think netheronowl was hinting Bannan and Ff wouldnt be starting

Oh - I just read it as "see whos not playing tomorrow"

Apparently Rob Staton asked Jos if we were under an embargo. Amazingly he said that he didn't know. We must be very near to one, which would explain the situation re no incomings and also maybe on the reason Westwood was left out today. We need to trim the wage bill now. 

Not surprising, considering all the money squandered over the last two years.