Blast from the past - Graham Hyde

Very good player and as for the Oldham pitch that and Luton's pitch was like playing with a fly away for the bounce - for you young ones thats a very light ball that kids used to play with that blew away in the wind but when it bounced it was like it had springs in it.

We had more players that you realise come through the youth ranks in the 90's Hyde, Pressman, Ryan Jones, Lance Key, Julian Watts, John Newsome, David Weatherall, Adam Poric, Lee Briscoe and many more none were world renowned names but all have fairly lengthy and decent careers and a lot of them are now in management and coaching positions.

Edited by room0035
  • Like 1

He used to bring his boots in for me to repair when i worked at the cobblers on Baxtergate in Donny, his name was melted into the plastic.

Our shop was bang opposite Binns and he'd pick up his dark haired girlfriend who worked there, reyt stunner.

I always rated him as a player btw.

He was on telly a few years back playing for a non league team in the cup, his hair was still longish and a similar style except for a bald patch at the back. 

Looked like a chuffin monk!

Gerrit shaved lad!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Graham Hyde

98923.jpg

Position : Midfield

Fee: N/A

Apps: 174

Goals : 11

First Game:  11th May 1991
Final Game: 22nd August 1998

Graham Hyde played for Wednesday for a period of 8 years during the 'Golden era' of the early 1990's. The Doncaster born midfield player was a product of Wednesdays youth team signing on in 1988. 

I remember the first time I saw Hyde. I'd been dragged along to watch a youth game at Hillsborough. Wednesday had some good players in that set up. Newsome and Wetherall at centre half. Richie Barker and Leroy Chambers up front and a bristling left back called Cam who loved a tackle (and who I seem to recall once got called up to train with the first team and crocked Pearson and broke Trevors nose - all by accident I'm sure) . 

But it was Hyde that caught my eye. The first thing I ever saw him do was a Zidane turn (Before Zidane- and I've long argued it should be called 'The Hyde')  as he arrived slightly before his marker from  at a through pass from the back, he then did a double Cruyff turn in the middle of the pitch taking out 4 men and fired a 30 yard arrowed pass across the pitch to our winger. 

"Who the hell is this kid?" I thought as I scrabbled about on the single sheet of A4 folded in half that served as programme. "Graham Hyde" was the name on the sheets corresponding shirt number .  "Golden Graham Hyde" I thought to myself "This lads going to be some player."

I remember getting home and telling my Father. "I've seen this lad in the youth team. Dribbles like Beardsley and tackles like McMahon" 

He looked at me wide eyed. "Why's he not in the first team then?"

And it's fair to say that perhaps I had not tempered into my glowing assessment that  he'd been playing against other youth players and not seasoned professionals.

However Hyde did make his full league debut against Oldham Athletic on their ridiculous Astro Turf pitch at Boundary Park in the 1990/91 promotion season. 

- And when I say ridiculous astro turf you young ones, I do mean ridiculous. This wasn't 3G or 4G or whatever they call it now. It wasn't some hybrid half artificial half grass desso thing. It was that stuff that green Grocers put on the front of there shops to stick the crates on. It was that stuff, laid over concrete! -

He started to get one or two more starts when Francis took over as manager filling in here and there when Sheridan, Wilson, etc had knocks and strains making 14 starts and getting a run in the cups. 

During 1993/94 with John Sheridan being out intermittently with a knee injury that would plague him through all his later years Hyde clocked up 38 appearances.

graham-hyde-sheffield-wednesday-is-tackl

Hyde could drop a shoulder and beat a man with ease, he had a much under-rated balance and skill

You take more of an interest when you've seen a kid in the youth team don't you? It is bizarre. You somehow feel a sense of pride. Even though their were many scouts spotted the talent before you did. It's as if they become your lad!!

Hyde was always considered the terrier in midfield during that time. And there's no doubt that he was known for his getting a foot in and keeping things simple. he was a team man and became and effective cog in the team. He played the role that was asked of him. But every now and again there would be that little flash. That little drop of the shoulder and he'd dribble with ease past an opponent and I'd remember the player that I had first seen in the youth team. But somehow he just got labelled as this terrier. 

OJF6hwCT_400x400.jpg

Seen here giving Scholes a taste of his own medicine 

I don't think Graham Hyde ever got the plaudits he deserved. In a team of Top Class superstars he wasn't flash, even though he could have been.

He came in and did his job. Did a job for the team. He kept his flash skills to a limit. But there was no doubt he'd got them... I'd seen them. And now and again so had everyone else. 

In a team of coverstars...Graham Hyde just wasn't as marketable. I genuinely think  that's why he doesn't get the mentions.  He wasn't as cool as Bart-man, with his tram-line sharp haircut and loping gait, even though Hyde ,to me, was as good or even a better player in a different way.

Hyde looked like McKenzie Crook. I know that shouldn't matter. But it does make a difference. Marketing if you like.

I genuinely believe that his discipline in doing a job for the team (You can't simply have everyone going out attacking) is why he doesn't get more praise.

By 1998 Hyde had fell out of favour for the likes of Danny Sonner and was given a free transfer to Birmingham. Terrible. 

I salute you , my 'Golden' Graham Hyde. Smashing little player with balls of Steel who undersold himself for the good of the collective team unit. (IMO) 

One of our first teamers at the time said he was the most skillful ball master in the entire team, should never have been sacrificed because he did what was asked of him. We should have asked much more, he would have delivered !

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

One of our first teamers at the time said he was the most skillful ball master in the entire team, should never have been sacrificed because he did what was asked of him. We should have asked much more, he would have delivered !

Exactly. So underrated with what he could do on the ball. Got pigeon-hold in that terrier 'win it and give it' role. 

Terrific player. Oddly, a victim of playing in such a good side in a funny way.

Would love to have a Graham Hyde in the team now. 

• Like 4

Lovely article - I really thought around 1992 that the side would be built around Hyde and Ryan Jones in the late 90s.

By contrast, I couldn't stand Danny Sonner - a pound shop GH.

I loved Graham Hyde. A solid 7/10 every week. Every team has a player to shield the back four and play the simple ball now. He was ahead of his time. It's a shame Ryan Jones got crocked, they'd have made a brilliant midfield partnership.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, manicowl said:

I loved Graham Hyde. A solid 7/10 every week. Every team has a player to shield the back four and play the simple ball now. He was ahead of his time. It's a shame Ryan Jones got crocked, they'd have made a brilliant midfield partnership.

Remember seeing Jones make his bow and couldn't believe what a big unit he was! Seem to recall he got called up for Wales.

Though I must admit to not knowing too much about the lad. Seemed to have come and gone in a flash with the injury..

Hyde was a great little player.   Ironically I think he suffered because he was compared to an aging but wily Danny Wilson and typecast for a while, but there was a different type of player in there that was itching to get out, and it did at times.

Francis and Barker saw a lot in the young Hyde and tried to get him to be more attack minded and to shoot more, where as I think the fans saw him initially as a direct replacement for Danny Wilson.

I think he left for Birmingham, he shouldn't have - he still could have done a good job for us and I think he never got going again as the same player after he left us.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Remember seeing Jones make his bow and couldn't believe what a big unit he was! Seem to recall he got called up for Wales.

Though I must admit to not knowing too much about the lad. Seemed to have come and gone in a flash with the injury..

Jones had a knack of obliterating opposing players.   He would literally go up top, fall awkwardly on an opposing defender and .....they'd be off injured!   He also had a good scoring record for us for the short time he was able to play.    Jones could have been another Carlton Palmer for us, had he not had to retire.

1 hour ago, HubristicClapper said:

Jones had a knack of obliterating opposing players.   He would literally go up top, fall awkwardly on an opposing defender and .....they'd be off injured!   He also had a good scoring record for us for the short time he was able to play.    Jones could have been another Carlton Palmer for us, had he not had to retire.

Remember him scoring a diving header right in front of us and then lying there looking into the crowd with the biggest grin on his face having just lived out every Wednesday fans dream. 

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

didn't he score twice in a cup game (I think) at QPR. My memory could be failing though...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Treborowl said:

didn't he score twice in a cup game (I think) at QPR. My memory could be failing though...

I've found that header!

Same match you're thinking of.

Jemson got the other.

28 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Remember him scoring a diving header right in front of us and then lying there looking into the crowd with the biggest grin on his face having just lived out every Wednesday fans dream. 

• Like 3

He was great, but ridiculously my memory of him was on a freezing horrible wet day at home to Tottingham (Ozzie must have been in charge) and he went in for a tackle in front of the crows nest and had his shorts pulled down, revealing purple undercrackers. lolWe won 2-0.

1 hour ago, Prutton Away said:

He was great, but ridiculously my memory of him was on a freezing horrible wet day at home to Tottingham (Ozzie must have been in charge) and he went in for a tackle in front of the crows nest and had his shorts pulled down, revealing purple undercrackers. lolWe won 2-0.

Jones or Golden Graham?