Jon Newsome "There has to be an inquest into the lack of fitness"

2 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

And that is where the problems lie. The "regime" is the same. How can we learn from our mistakes when we are not sure what they are? Us fans are often kept in the dark about these things and it seems odd that the people who are actually running the club (not the manager/head coach or whatever you want to call him) are making the same mistakes that we have made in the past in so many different areas.

Unfit players or players carrying injuries should not be doing the same kinds of training as the fully fit players. Fair enough, a simple enough lesson, but how did so many players end up with so many similar injuries which have excluded them from joining the few fully fit players in the first place. 

How come in the three full seasons that Chansiri has been in charge we have wasted so much money on older players who are unfit when they come to the club, have no resale value, have played very few games as a consequence, yet are on incredibly high wages? That is the biggest lesson of all that we should have learned after dropping out of the top flight. Never again adopt an old players on high wages philosophy. Yet here we are again. We have 10 players who are 29 or over and I think only one of them has not had a significant injury that has kept him out for a chunk of the season. Of those ten players Wallace has started most games with 24, then Hooper 22 starts, Jones next starting 19 and coming on as a sub 7 times, then Pudil with 19 starts and 3 subs and Loovens with just 19 starts and having to leave the field on a handful of occasions through injury or being sent off for being too slow.

The only player that has appeared in every league game so far is Reach, starting 39 and coming on as sub in one game.

How many of Westwood, Hooper, Loovens, Abdi, Boyd, Fletcher, Wallace, Jones and Pudil are still worth anything like the high wages that they are on when compared to players like Reach, who has played in so many games and so many different positions to keep the team going through the very difficult times this season? We have signed several players in recent years that arrived with known injury problems, such as Hutch, Westwood, Boyd, Fletcher

I still find it funny that so many people are still blaming Carlos for our injury list and criticising his training style when he was complaining so much about our players lack of fitness last season and this season, so much so that he replaced the entire medical/physio team. At least another five players have been added to the players out for the season since Jos arrived in January, so how is Carlos responsible for that too?

I think it is common sense that a combination of things are required to keep a fit healthy squad available, starting with us signing younger fit, healthy players, maintaining that fitness by playing them and training them on a good surface and using whatever modern techniques are applicable to the individual players to support their ongoing well being and fitness.

Good luck with that Jos, Chansiri and company, because it all costs money, so there had better be a much better plan in place than the rehashed disaster course that we have followed the last couple of seasons.

Make that 7 more players that have joined the out for the season club since Jos arrived. Are we going to blame Jos for that, add them to the list put down to Carlos, or maybe consider that there may be other causes, such as the age, fitness and injuries already carried by most of these players?

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Imagine if it had succeeded?

Would have been absolute carnage

We'd have been in the Premiership with no players

Fit or injured.  Hardly any of this squad will feature in the PL when we go up.

8 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

cook.PNG

When your playing career finishes, Sky doesn’t fancy you as a pundit, 70s-look p0rn is on the decline, and Bernard Hill took your one and only acting offer, there’s only one thing left to do, grab a camera and a blue bib.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Terry McDermott.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Former Sheffield Wednesday defender Jon Newsome is calling for an inquest into the injury situation at Sheffield Wednesday after the Owls suffered a staggering number of injuries over the last couple of years in order to avoid it ever happening again

"There really has to be some inquest into the lack of fitness of the whole squad over the past two seasons. I can not believe that you can sustain so many injuries and especially muscle injuries as we have"

"If I am honest, with the sports science available this day and age there really should be no reason for it to happen"

I wish Tony Toms was still around , they wouldnt be unfit then. 

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

I wish Tony Toms was still around , they wouldnt be unfit then. 

They'd have heightened awareness too. Laying in bed terrified to sleep. Waiting. Then... Tony Toms, in a balaclava , sliding out silently from under the bed , unseen in the darkness, and then leaping out and terrifying them. Bundling them in the back of the van and driving them deep into Grenowoods where they are dumped before he gives them 15 minutes to sprint to the Middlewood...otherwise 'punishments' will be dished. 

Marvelous.

By the way...anyone know when the inquest begins? 

• Like 1

Can't have a proper inquest if judgement is already made ie lack of fitness. Despite what a lot have said on here that is not factual.

Instead the inquest should be why have we had so many injuries and then maybe one of the outcomes/reasons would be a lack of general fitness.

1 hour ago, theowlsman said:

When your playing career finishes, Sky doesn’t fancy you as a pundit, 70s-look p0rn is on the decline, and Bernard Hill took your one and only acting offer, there’s only one thing left to do, grab a camera and a blue bib.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Terry McDermott.

No way ....

That's Phil Daniels with a tashe surely?