Remember this Sheffield Wednesday star?

Very good player,turned down a big money move to chelsea as he wasnt keen on moving to London.Moved to Coventry the following season after one game in division 2 for us.

Dont know about him being a funeral director,but I do know he ran a hugely successfull DIY store in Coventry that made him a very wealthy man

9 hours ago, belfast owl lad said:

was a decent full back,he was born in germany and was originally called scmitd.(sp?)

he was called wolfgang smith ....his dad was a English tommy and his mum  german ......they moved back to England when his dad was demobbed and changed his name to wilf ..........and he was better than decent . think when we sold him it was the record price for a full back .

30 minutes ago, torryowl said:

he was called wolfgang smith ....his dad was a English tommy and his mum  german ......they moved back to England when his dad was demobbed and changed his name to wilf ..........and he was better than decent . think when we sold him it was the record price for a full back .

you're right torry,i think on reflection "decent" didn't do wilf justice,my bad.

• Like 1

I only saw Wilf score two goals,but both were scorchers,v man city,must have been 25 yards out,I was on the lep,we all ducked,think id got my feet over the wall,two kids fell back into the end he struck it so hard,Dowd just watched.

The other was against Swindon in the cup,they absolutely battered us,and we were lucky to go in only a goal down at HT,smart scored from a misplaced free kick,but Don rogers was the best player on the pitch by some distance,2nd half continued the same,we struggled against a third division side,but just after the hour,the ball came to wilf just outside the box and he hit a really powerfull hook shot,their keeper was rooted,never moved and it flew in.

george best once swapped wings as smith kept him so quiet,willie morgan suffered as a result,best scored twice 2nd half

• Like 1

Recognised Wilf without even having to look at his name at the bottom of the photo lol . 206 matches played for us; 4 goals scored. He also captained Sheffield Boys and one of the England youth teams. One of my favourite players and really was good enough to have played international football. A cool, classy and hard fullback.

FFS

My sister went out with him a couple of times when he was a youth team player.  His name meant nothing to me at the time.   Was in the days when we scouted local lads, even if his birth certificate said Germany.

The photo looks like Maine Road.  August 1969.  We lost 4-1. I was there.  

On 08/02/2019 at 14:44, Lincs Owl said:

My sister went out with him a couple of times when he was a youth team player.  His name meant nothing to me at the time.   Was in the days when we scouted local lads, even if his birth certificate said Germany.

The photo looks like Maine Road.  August 1969.  We lost 4-1. I was there.  

Looks like it to me too.