Jos Luhukay on Sean Clare and George Hirst

Just now, @owlstalk said:

You've undone yourself and your own argument there when you look at the likes of Urby Emanuelson, Jordan Rhodes and all the other contracts we've spaffed on the first teamers who haven't achieved.

If Borukov was smashing 50 goals in, playing international football and had the goodwill of the fans then YES I most definitely WOULD give him a (well deserved) payrise

Ex AC Milan, Roma and Ajax player, as well as Rhodes who was one of the most consistent championship scorers?

Just because some senior players aren't necessarily showing their worth, that doesn't mean you should start throwing 10/20k a week at youngsters who *might* eventually make it, its ridiculous 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kanye West said:

Ex AC Milan, Roma and Ajax player, as well as Rhodes who was one of the most consistent championship scorers?

Just because some senior players aren't necessarily showing their worth, that doesn't mean you should start throwing 10/20k a week at youngsters who *might* eventually make it, its ridiculous 

Ok mate

Carry on

Ps how we doing this season?

How's the accounts looking?

How many of these big contract players are currently playing?

I'll leave you to it

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I bet if Gazza had a son at Spurs they'd be developing him like crazy, and hanging onto him

Same as if Everton or Man United had Wayne Rooney's lad etc etc

It's massive potential to give your fans hope, a dream, a fairytale story and for your club and business side to make absolute shedloads of cash out of it along the way too

Then have a look at the conversion rate of British National teams at U16, U18 & U21 levels it's not very encouraging; Conversely players like Vardy and Denis Law achieved against all the odds. So it's a mine field where Premiership/Old 1st Div sides are better placed to take the chance. For young George keep on developing and the riches will follow, why the need for the impatience he has done or proved nothing yet at league level. 

Just now, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Then have a look at the conversion rate of British National teams at U16, U18 & U21 levels it's not very encouraging; Conversely players like Vardy and Denis Law achieved against all the odds. So it's a mine field where Premiership/Old 1st Div sides are better placed to take the chance. For young George keep on developing and the riches will follow, why the need for the impatience he has done or proved nothing yet at league level. 

I don't think there's any real impatience

I just think he's smashed 50+ goals in one season at every level he's been let loose on, against all ages, and has represented his country and then been voted in the team of the whole tournament too

From that point I'd expect him to get a pay rise to recognise this and to continue his development

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I know he did

And he's not lying either - it definitely IS the best we've ever offered a young player

Doesn't mean it's anywhere near his market value/worth though

Previous highest wage might have been £200 per week at that age

I'm not so sure our Chairman is the best judge of which players to sign or not either

The only problem with that is his market value/worth to a premiership club is different than that of a championship club in what each can afford to pay during player development.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Ok mate

Carry on

Ps how we doing this season?

How's the accounts looking?

How many of these big contract players are currently playing?

I'll leave you to it

The whole thing with Hirst came about ages ago.

Yet now because we're struggling we should throw whatever he wants at him to get him to play?

If his surname weren't Hirst there wouldn't be half as many people ranting and raving about it 24/7

Just now, mrrodge said:

I keep saying this but his name should have absolutely no impact on the situation

I kind of get the feeling if he was called Tony Beswetherick people wouldn't be making as bigger deal as they are

There is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with having the name HIRST and having fans wanting to dream and hope and wish him to take this club to massive success in future through developing with us through to the first team and beyond

It's the dream scenario

Fans suggesting there's something wrong with our fans having some inspiration, dreams and hopes for a player need to reevaluate their opinions in my opinion 

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't think there's any real impatience

I just think he's smashed 50+ goals in one season at every level he's been let loose on, against all ages, and has represented his country and then been voted in the team of the whole tournament too

From that point I'd expect him to get a pay rise to recognise this and to continue his development

But wasn't it said that he had been offered the best junior contract that an Owls player had ever been offered ? If so I would suggest David or whoever taps up Tommy Craig to see what he was on back in the day lol

Just now, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

But wasn't it said that he had been offered the best junior contract that an Owls player had ever been offered ? 

Yeah 100% true

BUT

If the best junior contract of all time ever at SWFC was £60 a week it's hardly a valid claim really despite being true

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with having the name HIRST and having fans wanting to dream and hope and wish him to take this club to massive success in future through developing with us through to the first team and beyond

It's the dream scenario

Fans suggesting there's something wrong with our fans having some inspiration, dreams and hopes for a player need to reevaluate their opinions in my opinion 

I am not saying there is something wrong with having the dream of having Hirst on the back of your Wednesday shirt, but as said it was the best contract offered to a youth player and he is still unproven at professional level.

In one thread you are criticizing the chairman for spunking money up the wall and in another you are implying we should have offered more to an unproven striker because his name is Hirst

• Thanks 1

Just now, mrrodge said:

as said it was the best contract offered to a youth player and he is still unproven at professional level.

Ah man

Looks like absolutely everyone has fallen for this line that's been fed to them with no further thought to what that actually REALLY means

Sad times

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, cjtowl1972 said:

Im sure Jos said a few weeks ago, that when George is match fit, he will be available to be involved with the first team.

If so, what has changed ?

We dont' know

Out of the blue Jos has said that he's not allowed to select him due to a contract spat

Owlstalk Shop