Jos Luhukay on Sean Clare and George Hirst

7 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Speaks volumes that he's not willing to play for his boyhood club unless he is paid x amount. What happened to proving yourself? Working your way up from the bottom? I don't know who he thinks he is but it sucks. I never saw David Hirst play, its just another 1990s nostalgia thats been passed down. Yes the club hasn't helped the situation but the attitude of the player is apalling. I'd happily see him gone. 

Where do you get this rubbish from.

George Hirst has been at the club since the age of 9, his dad was a modern day legend of the club, all he has ever wanted to do it follow in dad's steps. Last season he scored 40 goals played for his country and was progressing to be one of the most promising kids we have produced in 20 years.

He sat down with the club and they offered him a youth team contract at the same time they were asking for loan fees of £5,000 - £10,000 a week from league 1 and 2 teams, his representative asked for more that a youth contract on the basis that the club were asking for £5,000 - £10,000 a week to loan him out. The club said no so he did not sign the contract, the club cancelled all loans and prevented him from playing for any teams or training with the club.

7 months pass he is invited back to train with the team and play for them, he scores on in his first game after 7 months out and lasted most of the match even though he had been training at home, he has not played since he is not allowed to play for the first team by the club, remember how this thread started.

How is this the kid fault - all I can see is someone who we cannot name has thrown his toys out of his pram again.

I would think scoring more goals last season than Hooper, Winnall, Nuihu, Rhodes, Joao, Reach has more than proved himself to be given a chance.

Loovens, Pudil, Wallace, Clare, Butterfield, Venancio, Nuihu are all not in contract with us past June does that mean none of them will be allowed to play either.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Just because something is the best contract ever offered to a youngster doesn't mean it's an offer worthy of his potential and the 50+ goals he's scored for the U18/U23'/England

Sort of agree and think he is as worth the risk, but what if he hadn’t performed as expected?

We already have fans saying the state we find ourselves in is mostly due to over paying players and breaking wage structures which then causes unrest and has a knock on effect - doing the same with George just continues that error be it at a lower level.

Sometimes I think the club can’t win.  lol

18 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Speaks volumes that he's not willing to play for his boyhood club unless he is paid x amount. What happened to proving yourself? Working your way up from the bottom? I don't know who he thinks he is but it sucks. I never saw David Hirst play, its just another 1990s nostalgia thats been passed down. Yes the club hasn't helped the situation but the attitude of the player is apalling. I'd happily see him gone. 

Am I missing something here?  I know there’s speculation about the weekly wage, length of contract, progression payments etc but there’s never been a serious suggestion that he ever refused to play, has there?  It’s a club decision not to play him?

lol

Our fans baffle me at times. Any other club in the Championship with a young 18 year old striker who scores for fun for the academy and the national side would treat him like a prized asset. Just like Fulham have done with Sessegnon and Ipswich did with Dozell before his injury (in the same England youth teams as Hirst).

But Wednesday fans are quick to call him greedy and lazy and turn on him. The question which should be asked is HOW the club has failed to keep a potential future England player happy.

15 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Hirst and Clare will go in the summer. 

Well run clubs sign up their most exciting prospects. We'll let them go and watch them be successes elsewhere.

But some people will be fine with that because we offered them deals. A young English goalscoring centre forward and a athletic tall English centre midfielder. Criminal we've not looked after our two best young prospects.

Let say they become the best players they can and don't disappear into obscurity we potential have let a Harry Kane and Deli Alli leave for peanuts.

Where we could develop them and in a few years if they progress could make £20-30m or more. This would sort the FFP out for year to come but as the club have show we simple do not value youth under the current regime.

2 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

Am I missing something here?  I know there’s speculation about the weekly wage, length of contract, progression payments etc but there’s never been a serious suggestion that he ever refused to play, has there?  It’s a club decision not to play him?

I don't know where he made that up from either.

6 minutes ago, Spookone said:

Sort of agree and think he is as worth the risk, but what if he hadn’t performed as expected?

We already have fans saying the state we find ourselves in is mostly due to over paying players and breaking wage structures which then causes unrest and has a knock on effect - doing the same with George just continues that error be it at a lower level.

Sometimes I think the club can’t win.  lol

So next season who would you have at the club Loovens on £10-15,000 a week or George Hirst and Sean Clare on £5,000 each.

I know which ones I would prefer but do the club. It really is that simple. 

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Where do you get this rubbish from.

George Hirst has been at the club since the age of 9, his dad was a modern day legend of the club, all he has ever wanted to do it follow in dad's steps. Last season he scored 40 goals played for his country and was progressing to be one of the most promising kids we have produced in 20 years.

He sat down with the club and they offered him a youth team contract at the same time they were asking for loan fees of £5,000 - £10,000 a week from league 1 and 2 teams, his representative asked for more that a youth contract on the basis that the club were asking for £5,000 - £10,000 a week to loan him out. The club said no so he did not sign the contract, the club cancelled all loans and prevented him from playing for any teams or training with the club.

7 months pass he is invited back to train with the team and play for them, he scores on in his first game after 7 months out and lasted most of the match even though he had been training at home, he has not played since he is not allowed to play for the first team by the club, remember how this thread started.

How is this the kid fault - all I can see is someone who we cannot name has thrown his toys out of his pram again.

I would think scoring more goals last season than Hooper, Winnall, Nuihu, Rhodes, Joao, Reach has more than proved himself to be given a chance.

Loovens, Pudil, Wallace, Clare, Butterfield, Venancio, Nuihu are all not in contract with us past June does that mean none of them will be allowed to play either.

Post deserves pinning for me.

The loan fee we were requesting for Hirst was absolutely ridiculous. Only one League One club could match it. No one else.

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

lol

Our fans baffle me at times. Any other club in the Championship with a young 18 year old striker who scores for fun for the academy and the national side would treat him like a prized asset. Just like Fulham have done with Sessegnon and Ipswich did with Dozell before his injury (in the same England youth teams as Hirst).

But Wednesday fans are quick to call him greedy and lazy and turn on him. The question which should be asked is HOW the club has failed to keep a potential future England player happy.

Let me tell you exactly why, solely why, and the absolutely ONLY reason they've turned on George.

It's because the Chairman has held fans forums and released a Q&A thing on the official website

Never underestimate how powerful that can be, even if it means it turns Wednesday fans against a Wednesday fan, son of a Wednesday legend, who is smashing in 50+ goals per season, playing for England

They've fallen for the PR without any thought of questioning it

Literally that's it

There's not a single Wednesday fan who has made their own mind up that George (And even David) Hirst is now scum by themselves

Not a single one

They've just fallen for spin and PR

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

And for those who are saying he refused to play...

Just wait until the summer. Trust me. All we be revealed and I think some on here might regret accusing a young lad of all sorts.

Just curious sally, but why will all be revealed in the summer. Who do you think will spill the beans. If it’s the hirst camp why do they need to wait til summer?

Footballers reject contracts all the time. Only difference is that well run clubs don't dirty their laundry in public and don't let that situation affect the overall future benefit of the club and the individual.

I'm sure there must be other similar examples but I cannot think of one where a player has been frozen out for a full year like this.

It seems that the club refused to play the player, whilst ever he refused to sign a new contact. I can't imagine that young George will have ever said he wouldn't want to play unless he was given a new deal on terms x and y.

The club's approach is just childish and benefits the club in no way at all. He is still under contact, so there is no benefit to us in not utilising a talented player, which may help the team, especially given the injury situation. If he does play some first games and did well then that would only be a benefit. It would help the team and points total, it may be that we then see fit to give him a better deal, or at the very worst it would increase the fee that we'd be awarded at tribunal if he did still leave.

1 minute ago, bazapeps said:

Footballers reject contracts all the time. Only difference is that well run clubs don't dirty their laundry in public and don't let that situation affect the overall future benefit of the club and the individual.

I'm sure there must be other similar examples but I cannot think of one where a player has been frozen out for a full year like this.

It seems that the club refused to play the player, whilst ever he refused to sign a new contact. I can't imagine that young George will have ever said he wouldn't want to play unless he was given a new deal on terms x and y.

The club's approach is just childish and benefits the club in no way at all. He is still under contact, so there is no benefit to us in not utilising a talented player, which may help the team, especially given the injury situation. If he does play some first games and did well then that would only be a benefit. It would help the team and points total, it may be that we then see fit to give him a better deal, or at the very worst it would increase the fee that we'd be awarded at tribunal if he did still leave.

Totally agree. Also what’s the difference between hirst and Clare?  Or did I miss Clare signing a new deal?

Just now, Plonk said:

Just curious sally, but why will all be revealed in the summer. Who do you think will spill the beans. If it’s the hirst camp why do they need to wait til summer?

Hirst is under contract. Can't really say anything. His hands are tied at the minute. I'm sure when he moves on we'll learn his side of the story. Then fans can make their minds up on the situation. Personally feel George has been made to look like a greedy villian when that is not really the case. 

People will eat their words I'm sure. My feelings may be coming across quite strong here but the Hirst situation really gets to me. It could have been an amazing fairytale. 

Whatever Hirst's asking for has always been secondary to the fact DC saw fit to stop the lad from playing for us all the way back in August.

Fans keeping banging on about money as though it justifies DC's decision to stop him from playing. Unbelievable reasoning.

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

Totally agree. Also what’s the difference between hirst and Clare?  Or did I miss Clare signing a new deal?

Clare was made to train with Hirst because he too wouldn't sign a new deal. Until Jos requested he be involved (I believe that part may not be 100% accurate). Injury to Ross Wallace meant Clare was back included with the squad. Fortunately Clare impressed against Derby and club has made him available for selection since.

Guest Bulgaria
50 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

You've undone yourself and your own argument there when you look at the likes of Urby Emanuelson, Jordan Rhodes and all the other contracts we've spaffed on the first teamers who haven't achieved.

If Borukov was smashing 50 goals in, playing international football and had the goodwill of the fans then YES I most definitely WOULD give him a (well deserved) payrise and ensure we have the most effective, productive and successful academy in the country.

Exactly.

5 minutes ago, Plonk said:

GH is under contract at the moment and there will be clauses in that contract that he cannot speak bad of the club the same way you don't go on social media and slag your boss off.

But in the summer he won't be an employee anymore and can say what he wishes as long as it is not slanderer, and I bet the club are bricking themselves. 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Hirst is under contract. Can't really say anything. His hands are tied at the minute. I'm sure when he moves on we'll learn his side of the story. Then fans can make their minds up on the situation. Personally feel George has been made to look like a greedy villian when that is not really the case. 

People will eat their words I'm sure. My feelings may be coming across quite strong here but the Hirst situation really gets to me. It could have been an amazing fairytale. 

No-one will eat their words though - that's the chuffing thing. There'll still be plenty that'll try to defend the club over this.

Guest Bulgaria

I can only assume that Hirst senior was caught under the hours of darkness trying to swipe the lucky elephants to flog em at Barnsley market for a fiver. 

Way too much in my opinion.

Can't think of another reason why he can't play.

Edited by Bulgaria