Jos Luhukay on Sean Clare and George Hirst

Such a sad sad situation. After so much promise our most prized young asset it being prepared for sale. 

Obviously we are not able to know all the circumstances and I'm sure his Dad is not innocent, I cannot help feel that the club should have just played the lad.

He would have been worth millions of he'd scored 15 or 20 goals in the championship. Not to mention our league position being benefited!

It'd be rubbish to see him leave for penuts following years of hearing fans talking about "Hirsty's lad” being the next big thing at Hillsborough. 

Sadly another sign of the changes in football. Local lad gets pushed out of home club... Sad times indeed.

• Haha 1

It's a crying shame he'll never lead the line for Wednesday.

We don't know exactly what's gone off. But when he looks back in a few years time surely George will be gutted he never got to play in blue and white. He would have been adored by everyone, he would have given everyone a lift. That's due to the amazing legacy his dad left. George Hirst would have become a true hero. And whoever is in the right or wrong overall this situation is, for me, the saddest thing that's happened at Wednesday for some time.

Genuinely gutted he'll never play for us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We don't know exactly what's gone off. But when he looks back in a few years time surely George will be gutted he never got to play in blue and white. He would have been adored by everyone, he would have given everyone a lift. That's due to the amazing legacy his dad left. George Hirst would have become a true hero. And whoever is in the right or wrong overall this situation is, for me, the saddest thing that's happened at Wednesday for some time.

He would have been adored by everyone if he was any good.

The criminal thing is it won't be us who find out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I can't help but feel that if we had a chairman who understood football, Sheffield, and Sheffield Wednesday, that we'd have signed him up and recognised that his development and growth as a footballer is the dream that Sheffield Wednesday fans can use as a serious motivator.

Not to mention the shirts they'd shift if/when he made it into the first team

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

I can't help but feel that if we had a chairman who understood football, Sheffield, and Sheffield Wednesday, that we'd have signed him up and recognised that his development and growth as a footballer is the dream that Sheffield Wednesday fans can use as a serious motivator.

That would be a massive money spinner for the club 

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

We tried to sign him up? We offered the best contract ever offered to a youngster still unproven.

He chose not to sign it. Yes it's a shame (potentially) but we did try.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I understand the argument about equal treatment and all that. But I would have given the lad what he wanted. I wasn't even alive when David Hirst was making himself a Wednesday legend, but growing up that name was the first thing that came to mind when thinking of Wednesday. As you say I don't think the chairman realises how much George means to us fans. It's so sad and I wish the best for the lad regardless.

Having spoke to a few people I know George would love nothing more to be on that pitch in blue and white. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

We tried to sign him up? We offered the best contract ever offered to a youngster still unproven.

He chose not to sign it. Yes it's a shame (potentially) but we did try.

Just because something is the best contract ever offered to a youngster doesn't mean it's an offer worthy of his potential and the 50+ goals he's scored for the U18/U23'/England

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

I understand the argument about equal treatment and all that. But I would have given the lad what he wanted. I wasn't even alive when David Hirst was making himself a Wednesday legend, but growing up that name was the first thing that came to mind when thinking of Wednesday. As you say I don't think the chairman realises how much George means to us fans. It's so sad and I wish the best for the lad regardless.

Having spoke to a few people I know George would love nothing more to be on that pitch in blue and white. 

I bet if Gazza had a son at Spurs they'd be developing him like crazy, and hanging onto him

Same as if Everton or Man United had Wayne Rooney's lad etc etc

It's massive potential to give your fans hope, a dream, a fairytale story and for your club and business side to make absolute shedloads of cash out of it along the way too

Owlstalk Shop

Just because something is the best contract ever offered to a youngster doesn't mean it's an offer worthy of his potential and the 50+ goals he's scored for the U18/U23'/England

We don't know do we. Neither of us. Well you might..

The Chairman said it.

Just now, sweetsheri said:

We don't know do we. Neither of us. Well you might..

The Chairman said it.

I know he did

And he's not lying either - it definitely IS the best we've ever offered a young player

Doesn't mean it's anywhere near his market value/worth though

Previous highest wage might have been £200 per week at that age

I'm not so sure our Chairman is the best judge of which players to sign or not either

Owlstalk Shop

I know he did

And he's not lying either - it definitely IS the best we've ever offered a young player

Doesn't mean it's anywhere near his market value/worth though

Previous highest wage might have been £200 per week at that age

I'm not so sure our Chairman is the best judge of which players to sign or not either

Go on then. What would be the market value? Same as FF? Same as Bannan?

Agree with the last bit as has been proved.

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

So where do you draw the line then?

What if Borukov or whoever started scoring a few, then decided he wanted a lot more and so on?

You can't just give players whatever they want or we'll get even more in the poo than we already are

1 minute ago, Kanye West said:

So where do you draw the line then?

What if Borukov or whoever started scoring a few, then decided he wanted a lot more and so on?

You can't just give players whatever they want or we'll get even more in the poo than we already are

You've undone yourself and your own argument there when you look at the likes of Urby Emanuelson, Jordan Rhodes and all the other contracts we've spaffed on the first teamers who haven't achieved.

If Borukov was smashing 50 goals in, playing international football and had the goodwill of the fans then YES I most definitely WOULD give him a (well deserved) payrise and ensure we have the most effective, productive and successful academy in the country.

Owlstalk Shop