Jos Luhukay on Sean Clare and George Hirst

2 minutes ago, scram said:

At the risk of making Geoffrey combust....that was very much a second string England team

lol 

Fair point, but you can't deny there's been some good players come from that bunch of supposedly 2nd string players. 

3 hours ago, sweetsheri said:

We tried to sign him up? We offered the best contract ever offered to a youngster still unproven.

He chose not to sign it. Yes it's a shame (potentially) but we did try.

As I said on one of the other posts, the thing is he's unproven because we won't give him even now riddled with missing players and no strikers the platform  to prove he's worth what he's asking for. 

If he'd have come in and failed miserably, he'd have probably along with his dad and agent had to re think their demands and maybe fingers crossed signed a lesser deal until he was ready. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I understand the argument about equal treatment and all that. But I would have given the lad what he wanted. I wasn't even alive when David Hirst was making himself a Wednesday legend, but growing up that name was the first thing that came to mind when thinking of Wednesday. As you say I don't think the chairman realises how much George means to us fans. It's so sad and I wish the best for the lad regardless.

Having spoke to a few people I know George would love nothing more to be on that pitch in blue and white. 

To be perfectly honest George doesn't mean a thing to me...how can he when I've never seen him play..apart from a brief appearance at Reading I think it was.

5 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Welcome to modern football. 

Baffles me how people have this sense that Wednesday are above everyone and young George should have accepted anything the club offered him. The lad was showing signs of being a future England player. The best clubs in the country sent scouts to watch him ffs.

I don't think Wednesday are above anyone. But most young lads wouldn't get into this situation. How come all the other young players are managing to get on ok? Id happily see any of them stay and push on with us. Hirst included but the picture seems to be that he thinks he's worth more without even proving himself. That is also fine. Chansiri should let him go, the chairman is also at fault. Both parties are. His name proceeds him before he's even kicked a ball for us. 

Just imagine - that wonderful signing of Almen Abdi and all his wages, or maybe think of that fantastic wage that Steven Fletcher is on - or Jordon Rhodes maybe, or that nice 4-9million (whatever you choose to believe), or that wage of Morgan Fox (or the transfer fee)...

We really couldn't tie George Hirst down to a contract?

It's because of one of, or all of, the above.

7 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

It's a crying shame he'll never lead the line for Wednesday.

We don't know exactly what's gone off. But when he looks back in a few years time surely George will be gutted he never got to play in blue and white. He would have been adored by everyone, he would have given everyone a lift. That's due to the amazing legacy his dad left. George Hirst would have become a true hero. And whoever is in the right or wrong overall this situation is, for me, the saddest thing that's happened at Wednesday for some time.

Genuinely gutted he'll never play for us. 

if he's turning out for frickley in 5 years time he'll be gutted but if he's leading the line for Liverpool then probably not ......he's just a player who feels he can better himself elsewhere just  as countless others have over the years .......

On 09/03/2018 at 12:33, sweetsheri said:

We tried to sign him up? We offered the best contract ever offered to a youngster still unproven.

He chose not to sign it. Yes it's a shame (potentially) but we did try.

you have to balance out that at the time of the offered contract how much extra in actual money terms would it have cost the club to extend his contract sufficiently into the future enough to see if we had an asset on our books that from dc's point of view might have been worth more than enough to cover his investment in purchases and wages since buying the club?

when you look at what we've brought in, and paid out in fees and wages, and what some (quiet a lot) of those players will have as a resale value, what is the 'risk'? it must be peanuts in comparison?. i hope the club can see this before it's finally too late.

On 09/03/2018 at 12:28, SallyCinnamon said:

It's a crying shame he'll never lead the line for Wednesday.

We don't know exactly what's gone off. But when he looks back in a few years time surely George will be gutted he never got to play in blue and white. He would have been adored by everyone, he would have given everyone a lift. That's due to the amazing legacy his dad left. George Hirst would have become a true hero. And whoever is in the right or wrong overall this situation is, for me, the saddest thing that's happened at Wednesday for some time.

Genuinely gutted he'll never play for us. 

Yeah loved by everyone till his first bad spell, how fickle football fans are is ludicrous.

1 hour ago, dnhc said:

you have to balance out that at the time of the offered contract how much extra in actual money terms would it have cost the club to extend his contract sufficiently into the future enough to see if we had an asset on our books that from dc's point of view might have been worth more than enough to cover his investment in purchases and wages since buying the club?

when you look at what we've brought in, and paid out in fees and wages, and what some (quiet a lot) of those players will have as a resale value, what is the 'risk'? it must be peanuts in comparison?. i hope the club can see this before it's finally too late.

The risk is you set a bad example. Hirst should have accepted a contract and proved himself at this level. Then he would have either got a better offer from DC or a mega contract elsewhere. Like sessignon and Brookes have done 

Hurst NEVER had any intention of signing for Wednesday. This was stated by the wunderkid David Hurst in the presence of myself and 7 other people 18 months ago at a dinner pre-match at Hillsborough before a league game I have posted this numerous times, and it is continually being deleted.

he, and/or his Father have higher hopes for him.

15 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Hurst NEVER had any intention of signing for Wednesday. This was stated by the wunderkid David Hurst in the presence of myself and 7 other people 18 months ago at a dinner pre-match at Hillsborough before a league game I have posted this numerous times, and it is continually being deleted.

Even though he was only 6 months into a new contract?

19 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

no it isn't

Owlstalk Shop

Guest Grez Bez
21 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Who's David Hurst? Never heard of him!