Ask The Chairman Part 13 - GEORGE HIRST

2 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

How do you know that George Hirst hasn't simply asked for what several other clubs would be prepared to pay him?

If that's what he's asked, him and his agents have undervalued the development opportunity he would be afforded here.

Going off to join a PL club with another 20 people just like him, busting a gut to make it could be very ill advised. He has a perfect setup here for development. He's too young to be actually that worried about money. Not like he's got any realistic outgoings he can't manage.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

We have only heard one side of this story. Just because it comes on Sheffield Wednesday headed notepaper does not mean it should be taken as the absolute gospel total truth of both sides opinions and reasoning.

If anything is untrue it's libel.  Little to no chance, the chairman has left himself that exposed.

1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

If that would put him on a par with first team players at Wednesday - is that the fault of GH?

If you were an 18 year old that had made hardly any money so far and you knew you could have a big fat juicy contract elsewhere - would you not ask Wednesday to match it?

Bearing in mind that our first team wages are probably well above the championship average given a lot of them are ex-prem and signed on frees. For an 18 year old who was only on the verge of breaking into the senior side to demand that level of wages from us is a bit tw*tish of him.

Tho, ofc, if he's only interested in money and has no loyalty to the club that's got him to this point, he's perfectly entitled to demand what Leicester or Everton suggested they may pay him (tho talking about potential contracts to someone under contract is a breach of the rules afaik). If Hirst is desperately chasing a pile of money, then fine. off he goes. Good riddance. If he's got no respect for what we've done for him, then I'm happy have the same attitude towards him.

End of the day, we broke our own rules on wages to try and accommodate him. Make him the best paid young player we've ever had. We raised him, we clearly made an effort to keep him. If he dumps us, then fine. The club's done right and he's a wee money grabber.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

It's worse than that

I've got Sheffield Wednesday friends on facebook and they've posted this story and it's turned into a David Hirst witch-hunt.

Owls fans are really genuinely now calling Hirsty all sorts, saying they never want to see him anywhere near SWFC again, giving him a right full on slagging off, and even one person saying they cant' believe HIrsty is 'letting his son carry the can for his own pride and downfall'

It's suddenly turned very nasty for a Sheffield Wednesday legend (and top bloke) from fans who have only heard one side of this today from the Chairman.

That's unacceptable.

We have only heard one side of this story. Just because it comes on Sheffield Wednesday headed notepaper does not mean it should be taken as the absolute gospel total truth of both sides opinions and reasoning.

We’ve only heard one side of the storey? 

There’s the Daily Mail article. And what about David Hirsts mate who spoke to Biggs’ Sheffield Live show.

Up to now we’ve only heard one storey and many fans have been slating the club based on those and lots of conjecture. 

Not for one moment am I saying Wednesday are innocent in all of this. But up to now the criticism has been very one sided. I think Hirsts Camp going to the press has meant the club have been forced to come out fighting now....can’t really blame them on that. 

• Like 1

Just now, bigdan2003 said:

Not for one moment am I saying Wednesday are innocent in all of this. But up to now the criticism has been very one sided. I think Hirsts Camp going to the press has meant the club have been forced to come out fighting now....can’t really blame them on that. 

100% Agreed and it's interesting to hear the Chairman's perspective but it in no way is both sides of the story 

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Not suggesting that for a second

I"m simply saying that both sides haven't been heard at all

You keep saying the same thing, and although I agree with you to an extent, do you really expect people to read that official statement and simply not bother commenting until they have seen a counter statement from the Hirst camp that may never even come?

Seriously?

1 minute ago, Pulixifer said:

If that's what he's asked, him and his agents have undervalued the development opportunity he would be afforded here.

Going off to join a PL club with another 20 people just like him, busting a gut to make it could be very ill advised. He has a perfect setup here for development. He's too young to be actually that worried about money. Not like he's got any realistic outgoings he can't manage.

That totally depends on your perspective.

Firstly, from a development point of view, I think Wednesday is about the last club I would want to be at if I was George.

We are in a PL at all costs mentality at the moment.  He has Hooper, Rhodes, Forestieri, Fletcher, Winnall, Joao and Nuhiu all ahead of him.  Who is to say that he wouldn't get afforded more opportunities at somewhere like Everton or Southampton where they blood youngsters?  Especially if our strategy was to loan him out to a League One club anyway.  He may as well do that from a PL club on a fatter contract.  Especially as DC doesn't seem willing to pay a proportion of his wages to loan him out anyway (seems to be the jist from his own statement).  A PL club would.

Therefore, I can see absolutely nothing to suggest his development will be better here.

Secondly, this is his job.  it is his career.

Of course, he could gamble that his career prospects could be better here - despite there appearing to be no evidence of this.  But regardless of the option he chooses he may well be playing for Goole Town for £50 per week in 5 years time.  or worse yet, his career ended by injury.

Therefore, if for instance he could earn £10K per week on a 4 year contract, I would urge him to take it and be very careful with it.  Buy a house with no mortgage, invest most of the rest wisely and then even if you end up working at Tesco you'll be comfortable for the rest of your life.

Its all very well talking about 'development' this is real life.

Just now, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Who is to say that he wouldn't get afforded more opportunities at somewhere like Everton or Southampton where they blood youngsters?  

They blood youngsters who are good enough. Hirst is nowhere near Championship standard yet never mind Premier League. 

Just now, BIG D said:

You know David Hirst Neil, I’m sure you could sort out an Owlstalk exclusive?

Not sure it's the time or place to be honest.

It's all getting a bit messy and it's a bit dirty laundry in public innit

I think George will be off as quickly as he can from the club 

I've a lot of time for David Hirst. It's unfortunate that this has arisen, that he's left his position at SWFC, and that it's all gone messy. 

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, Wath-owl said:

You keep saying the same thing, and although I agree with you to an extent, do you really expect people to read that official statement and simply not bother commenting until they have seen a counter statement from the Hirst camp that may never even come?

Seriously?

No not at all.

Doesn't make it right though.

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Bearing in mind that our first team wages are probably well above the championship average given a lot of them are ex-prem and signed on frees. For an 18 year old who was only on the verge of breaking into the senior side to demand that level of wages from us is a bit tw*tish of him.

Tho, ofc, if he's only interested in money and has no loyalty to the club that's got him to this point, he's perfectly entitled to demand what Leicester or Everton suggested they may pay him (tho talking about potential contracts to someone under contract is a breach of the rules afaik). If Hirst is desperately chasing a pile of money, then fine. off he goes. Good riddance. If he's got no respect for what we've done for him, then I'm happy have the same attitude towards him.

End of the day, we broke our own rules on wages to try and accommodate him. Make him the best paid young player we've ever had. We raised him, we clearly made an effort to keep him. If he dumps us, then fine. The club's done right and he's a wee money grabber.

That is the biggest load of balls I've ever read.

No loyalty to the club?  Will the club show any loyalty to him if he doesn't develop and ends up at Guiseley?

This is his career.  He needs to ensure that he looks after himself and his future family whilst he can.

Any other notion is unrealistic fairy land stuff.

If it was my son, I'd be explaining this very carefully to him.

Just now, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

That is the biggest load of balls I've ever read.

No loyalty to the club?  Will the club show any loyalty to him if he doesn't develop and ends up at Guiseley?

This is his career.  He needs to ensure that he looks after himself and his future family whilst he can.

Any other notion is unrealistic fairy land stuff.

If it was my son, I'd be explaining this very carefully to him.

100%

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

are innocent in all of this. But up to now the criticism has been very one sided. I think Hirsts Camp going to the press has meant the club have been forced to come out fighting now....can’t really blame them on that. 

Exactly, it’s becasue Hirst has been putting out stories in the press and on here that people have been having a go at the club. 

So the club put out their side... what else does Hirst expect. 

They chose the game.