Blades not happy with U23 result

8 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

We went a goal down after 2 minutes and went to pieces for a good while afterwards mainly because we were missing someone (Loovens) to steady the ship.

We endured a period of pressure and chances and conceded again to a terribly sloppy goal but a combination of them not wanting to concede before half-time and us gathering ourselves together saw us get back an excellent late goal from the league's leading scorer and give ourselves a fighting chance.

CC's tactical ineptness saw him surprise everyone and introduce Joao into the action with immediate impact and the sub equalised after a period of total domination and there looked to be only one winner at this point.

Poor concentration and a lack of professionalism saw some players still celebrating the equaliser and bathing in the glory coming from all four sides of the stadium and allowed them to attack and get through almost immediately and their sub, introduced to both acknowledge and counteract our 2nd half dominance, took his chance very well after the young, and seemingly overwhelmed by the occasion, recent signing from Holland really should have done better.

All the hard work that went beforehand was undone in an instance of total slopiness and what turned out to be the final psychological blow was struck.

The late, and another gifted, goal was both the icing on the cake and the salt in the wound.

It was one of the worst, if not the worst, performance I have seen from us in recent times and came against our biggest rivals.

It was lost on the pitch in the heads of most of those playing and it began very early on with a poor free kick to give away, an awful wall and a very well placed shot that totally messed up anything said only minutes earlier.

We lost it again celebrating a job done, the relief of getting back level, cancelling out the chaos but with a long way to go still in the game.

Some of my grunting mates cream less about the way it all went than some of my fellow supporters do on here.

Not having it mate. They knew exactly how we would set up, made plans to stop Fletcher winning the long balls and plans to stop us playing through midfield. They exploited our narrow formation and lack of cover for our fullbacks (one was already playing out of position) naturally by their formation and also having a kid upfront who was willing to pull out wide and take people on. They pressed us high as its their natural style and we tend to hate it straight from the off- hence our usual slow starts. Carlos didn't react until half time, many would have changed it after 20 mins of being given the runaround. 

Jaoa made a difference no doubt about it and we looked far better for it, the problem was though that the new formation left us even more exposed at the back.

• Thanks 1

Wilder is not stupid, he knows how the blunts support react to anything Wednesday, playing a full team of under 23’s against what they consider to be almost an Owls first team gives them their excuse. I’m pleased that their inherent hatred for us takes their eye off their superb league position, long may it continue.

garymegson

Guest mrbluesky
56 minutes ago, torryowl said:

you didn't see the defeat at the lane in 91 then ........

Brian Deane, yes 2-0,I was actually in their stand with my Dad*conroversial,at Hillsborough, yes, Bobby Davidson from memory, you can pick your own worse match, doesn’t mean you are right or wrong, in MY opinion the 2-4 was worse from a footballing point of view.

All subjective in the end.

Guest mrbluesky
46 minutes ago, Walt said:

Not having it mate. They knew exactly how we would set up, made plans to stop Fletcher winning the long balls and plans to stop us playing through midfield. They exploited our narrow formation and lack of cover for our fullbacks (one was already playing out of position) naturally by their formation and also having a kid upfront who was willing to pull out wide and take people on. They pressed us high as its their natural style and we tend to hate it straight from the off- hence our usual slow starts. Carlos didn't react until half time, many would have changed it after 20 mins of being given the runaround. 

Jaoa made a difference no doubt about it and we looked far better for it, the problem was though that the new formation left us even more exposed at the back.

Perfectly put,I’d + this a million times if I could!lol

54 minutes ago, Walt said:

100% correct. 

14 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

Brian Deane, yes 2-0,I was actually in their stand with my Dad*conroversial,at Hillsborough, yes, Bobby Davidson from memory, you can pick your own worse match, doesn’t mean you are right or wrong, in MY opinion the 2-4 was worse from a footballing point of view.

All subjective in the end.

Yes, Francis tried a sweeper system that night - it didn't work.

2 hours ago, mrbluesky said:

Butter it up all you want,hand on heart that was THE most inept performance In a derby I have seen,that’s spanning 30 odd years.

When it counts we fail, manager, mindset,tactics and players were a mess that day and do you know what I fear it at their ground but much worse.

The irony is that we overestimated 'Udders, and underestimated the Blades.

Wednesday were so fearful of the former that the team never gave itself a chance.

Against the Farrow we thought that all we had to do was turn up.

6 hours ago, Walt said:

Completely agree

On 09/11/2017 at 04:00, Ryan the owl said:

4-2 is not a massacre, Nor is it a hammering. 

4-0 on the other hand.

lol

Correct, let’s not mince words they did a number on us but their fans are so desperate to avenge The Boxing day Massacre (and that was a massacre) they will label anything to to try and apease themselves for it, the reality is history will say they won by a two goal margin, a massacre it was not, a hammering? 

As long as our players and coach learnt a lesson from a lesson it will be worth it.

2 hours ago, OzOwl said:

Correct, let’s not mince words they did a number on us but their fans are so desperate to avenge The Boxing day Massacre (and that was a massacre) they will label anything to to try and apease themselves for it, the reality is history will say they won by a two goal margin, a massacre it was not, a hammering? 

As long as our players and coach learnt a lesson from a lesson it will be worth it.

Let's Not forget that boxing day is an actual day, I've checked the calender and 'bouncing day' is not registered.

• Haha 1