An Owl who has actually been tonight

We did start second half strongly but I was aware that Bolton had pace up front and could catch us out on a quick breakaway, I mentioned this to brother and seconds later they had a penalty from a quick break. :duntmatter:

We did also have a short spell just before half time where we created a couple of chances and we could have got back in game but if Bolton had taken some of them earlier chances which were clear cut we could have gone in 3-0 down at half time. 

2 hours ago, mark77 said:

I was there:

We were nowhere near as bad as people make out!! First half we had plenty of chances. Winnall had 2 good chances, the massive scramble with Wallace blasting over, Rhodes header, Bannan saved shot and FF missing twice from long range. Bolton picked us off on the break and created a few half chances. Good finish from a set piece.

- My first rant! People claim we should go at teams and attack. Last night we picked an attacking formation with no midfield support defensively and we looked wide open and defensively suspect. Nothing like as solid as we usually do.

Second half we dominate the ball without creating a great deal initially. Bolton pick us off twice and get a penalty and a goal. 3-0 all of a sudden from nothing.

- Wildsmith is not good enough. Seen him a few times, suspect at Middlesbrough, flapping at home to Fulham. His distribution at times is alarming. Twice last night he put Pudil in all sorts of bother.

We make the substitutions and Bolton cannot cope with us. Scored 2 and could have had twice as many. Sadly the Bannan tackle and chaos caused seemed to halt our progress a little after that. Overall a cracking cup-tie, disappointing result and some poor individual displays. FF has to go, not ars*d and game changed the second he went off.

- Rant 2, people go on about players showing lack of effort etc etc and not being bothered. Well those that walk out on 60 minutes shouting abuse at the players, how does that make you any different. People are free to do as they please but surely you are throwing in the towel and giving up, showing the same behaviour you are accusing the players of!! Seems a bit ironic to me. Nearly bit them in the rear as the last 20 minutes were worth the money alone especially with what was going off in the stands! At one point it got so tasty I was watching that rather than the game which at the time was gripping in itself!

*One other thing i noticed. When the players arrived, the staff and most of the players got off, had pictures etc, and went inside. 4 did not. A good 20 minutes later FF, Nuhiu, Joao and Mattias got off. Just looked cliquey. At half time those players (minus FF) were warming up separately to the other 4. Was the same at the U23 game on Monday. Just looked wrong, almost like they were not part of the team not going in with the others. Im sure tactical stuff would have been spoken about inside during the time they were sat on the coach.

Agree with these points. Regarding the cliques, I watched the players get off the coach and noticed this too. The stewards wanted them to get off so they could reopen the concourse but they were told they would be 5 minutes. I heard quite a bit of laughter coming from the coach. Joao, Nuhiu  and Matias were last off bus at Doncaster too. Think it's just a habit. They're obviously all good mates. Nothing wrong with that. Hoops and Fletcher are good mates, as are Hutch and Westwood as are Winnall and Reach. All work places have their little cliques.

For all the (good) analyses, I just don't think they're bothered about the cup competitions. Unless they get an Arsenal or a Newcastle, that is. It's as simple as that. Apart from those two games two seasons ago, when have Wednesday really performed in the cups? Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of any games.

1 hour ago, Owl 44 said:

Agree with these points. Regarding the cliques, I watched the players get off the coach and noticed this too. The stewards wanted them to get off so they could reopen the concourse but they were told they would be 5 minutes. I heard quite a bit of laughter coming from the coach. Joao, Nuhiu  and Matias were last off bus at Doncaster too. Think it's just a habit. They're obviously all good mates. Nothing wrong with that. Hoops and Fletcher are good mates, as are Hutch and Westwood as are Winnall and Reach. All work places have their little cliques.

I thought those that had come off the coach first looked really miserable. No smiles, no interaction with the fans apart from a few photos (Bannnan did lots though). Just seemed like a lot of fairly cheesed off players.

3 minutes ago, leetheowl said:

I thought those that had come off the coach first looked really miserable. No smiles, no interaction with the fans apart from a few photos (Bannnan did lots though). Just seemed like a lot of fairly cheesed off players.

Lad next to me was disappointed because only Bannan and Abdi came to him for photos. Trouble is everyone is shouting them and they just choose a few. I know they should make time for fans but it must get a bit annoying game after game. Having said that I've seen prima donna premier league players get off the coach and completely ignore their fans. Liverpool are terrible. With regards to them looking miserable - it's Bolton on  Tuesday night. They're not going to come off the coach singing and dancing. 

6 hours ago, mark77 said:

I was there:

We were nowhere near as bad as people make out!! First half we had plenty of chances. Winnall had 2 good chances, the massive scramble with Wallace blasting over, Rhodes header, Bannan saved shot and FF missing twice from long range. Bolton picked us off on the break and created a few half chances. Good finish from a set piece.

- My first rant! People claim we should go at teams and attack. Last night we picked an attacking formation with no midfield support defensively and we looked wide open and defensively suspect. Nothing like as solid as we usually do.

Second half we dominate the ball without creating a great deal initially. Bolton pick us off twice and get a penalty and a goal. 3-0 all of a sudden from nothing.

- Wildsmith is not good enough. Seen him a few times, suspect at Middlesbrough, flapping at home to Fulham. His distribution at times is alarming. Twice last night he put Pudil in all sorts of bother.

We make the substitutions and Bolton cannot cope with us. Scored 2 and could have had twice as many. Sadly the Bannan tackle and chaos caused seemed to halt our progress a little after that. Overall a cracking cup-tie, disappointing result and some poor individual displays. FF has to go, not ars*d and game changed the second he went off.

- Rant 2, people go on about players showing lack of effort etc etc and not being bothered. Well those that walk out on 60 minutes shouting abuse at the players, how does that make you any different. People are free to do as they please but surely you are throwing in the towel and giving up, showing the same behaviour you are accusing the players of!! Seems a bit ironic to me. Nearly bit them in the rear as the last 20 minutes were worth the money alone especially with what was going off in the stands! At one point it got so tasty I was watching that rather than the game which at the time was gripping in itself!

*One other thing i noticed. When the players arrived, the staff and most of the players got off, had pictures etc, and went inside. 4 did not. A good 20 minutes later FF, Nuhiu, Joao and Mattias got off. Just looked cliquey. At half time those players (minus FF) were warming up separately to the other 4. Was the same at the U23 game on Monday. Just looked wrong, almost like they were not part of the team not going in with the others. Im sure tactical stuff would have been spoken about inside during the time they were sat on the coach.

Fernando, Matias and Nuhiu missed the tactical stuff about "you have to put the ball in the net"

João missed the "for fooks sake don't pass to that Matias when you can go it alone"

20 minutes ago, owlandished said:

Fernando, Matias and Nuhiu missed the tactical stuff about "you have to put the ball in the net"

João missed the "for fooks sake don't pass to that Matias when you can go it alone"

Sean Dyche was on top form last week. Asked what sort of striker he wants before the end of the window...

Dyche "One that kicks the ball into the net a lot"

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, station road owl said:

we walked out after 3rd goal, was an utter disgrace and a spineless performance from every single player.

I wouldn't have kept carlos on in the summer and at the minute he's doing nothing to prove me wrong.

things defiantly need a MASSIVE improvement 

That's a shame because you missed 2 goals from Rhodes and Carlos getting sent off, though you luckily beat the traffic no doubt

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

For all the (good) analyses, I just don't think they're bothered about the cup competitions. Unless they get an Arsenal or a Newcastle, that is. It's as simple as that. Apart from those two games two seasons ago, when have Wednesday really performed in the cups? Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't think of any games.

TBH I really wanted him to play a much weaker side, and not risk Lees, Pudil, Reach or Bannan. Had we gone out with a weak side in the Corriander Cup I couldn't really care less.

But having taken such a big risk, I think going down 3-0 to a weakened Bolton was very poor. Excellent near comeback though.

I guess had the scoring gone 1-0 1-1 2-1 2-2 3-2 we wouldn't be reading quite such anger.

9 hours ago, Owl 44 said:

Lad next to me was disappointed because only Bannan and Abdi came to him for photos. Trouble is everyone is shouting them and they just choose a few. I know they should make time for fans but it must get a bit annoying game after game. Having said that I've seen prima donna premier league players get off the coach and completely ignore their fans. Liverpool are terrible. With regards to them looking miserable - it's Bolton on  Tuesday night. They're not going to come off the coach singing and dancing. 

I do understand that its Bolton on a Tuesday night but the kids who have made the time to get there early to see their heroes perhaps deserve a bit of kindness. 

On 8/23/2017 at 11:38, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I'm glad you noticed that ..

I also thought body language in warm up was evident between players to Forestieri too but dismissed this as it could be biased thoughts in view of recent events 

All that included apart from Dave coming on with "Waddles Magic Wand"

For last 20 it was truly Shocking and that's being kind.....

For the record I was there as have all games this season home away and English Pre season................... currently looking for a Saturday job!!lol

I thought it was obvious and he did his usual throughout lost the ball threw his arms up and didn't work back. 

I suppose that was because he was on the wing and we don't get the best out of him when he's there as he use's his energy tracking back. Or whatever other testicles he wants to come out with next. 

On 22/08/2017 at 23:43, meggoisgod said:

I've been and it was fkn awful until we were 3 down

Wildsmith was appalling

Tom lees distribution was embarrassing

Abdi blowing out his are all game showed nothing

FF clearly not arsed

Winnall completely ineffective..get rid imo

Rhodes isolated until big Dave came on...then scored twice

Worst game I've ever seen Wallace have

Bannan poor and too deep again

Starting eleven only pudil, reach and Rhodes can take any credit

Positivea for me were Dave, Matias and joao who all looked up for it at least

As for Carlos I think the pressure is telling...and rightly so we should have smashed them with that team... Something's not reyt

You're probably a good fan but clearly know nothing about football. It was a practice game and CC tried some new combinations in a game we are happy to lose. Wildsmith did exactly what was asked and did it well, made two iffy passes but they didn't do any harm. Got his finger tips to the ball but ref saw a pen. Didn't give the ball away with long kicks, Westwood will give the ball away 20+ times at Burton this weekend (long kicks to forwards). The midfield pairings confirmed CCs first choice team. Winnall can't play the Hooper role. FF can't play alongside Abdi and isn't a team player. Lees has never been able to pass a ball and that is why Leeds let him go. This was a practice game played as coached...we don't need or want a league cup run. The ref had a great 60 minutes then let the same offences go unpunished in the next 30 minutes and it got very messy. I'm an ex player and a ref.

6 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

You're probably a good fan but clearly know nothing about football. It was a practice game and CC tried some new combinations in a game we are happy to lose. Wildsmith did exactly what was asked and did it well, made two iffy passes but they didn't do any harm. Got his finger tips to the ball but ref saw a pen. Didn't give the ball away with long kicks, Westwood will give the ball away 20+ times at Burton this weekend (long kicks to forwards). The midfield pairings confirmed CCs first choice team. Winnall can't play the Hooper role. FF can't play alongside Abdi and isn't a team player. Lees has never been able to pass a ball and that is why Leeds let him go. This was a practice game played as coached...we don't need or want a league cup run. The ref had a great 60 minutes then let the same offences go unpunished in the next 30 minutes and it got very messy. I'm an ex player and a ref.

Haha sorry mate but that is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on here..ever

So I know nothing about football wtf? Been watching Wednesday 40 years and played at a pretty high level...having said that I'm not a ref and never want to be.

The team we put out should have fkn murdered Bolton end of.

Wildsmith was like a rabbit in the headlights and fkn hopeless from start to finish.

If you honestly think Carlos played that as a practice why did he lose it and go wading into the crowd.

Seriously ur just having a wind up surely?

8 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

Haha sorry mate but that is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read on here..ever

So I know nothing about football wtf? Been watching Wednesday 40 years and played at a pretty high level...having said that I'm not a ref and never want to be.

Wildsmith was like a rabbit in the headlights and fkn hopeless from start to finish.

If you honestly think Carlos played that as a practice why did he lose it and go wading into the crowd.

I think the reason he went wading into the crowd was because he thought there was a possibility he might lose his star midfielder for the next three league games.

9 hours ago, toooldforthis said:

9 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

Has to be a wind up but then again, players that become refs are usually the ones that aren't good enough and don't understand the game and this proves it. 

CC obviously said go out there go 3-0 down and try and get it back and force a extra 30 minutes for me to try a few more things. 

Wildsmith didn't do anything well and neither did Abdi, Palmer, FF or Winnall. CC put a team out to win that game you try things out in training, if he's only just found out Abdi isn't a holding midfielder that worries massively