FF and JR

Guest Deleted member

Guest Maxine
Just now, Dronowl66 said:

Probably because a lot of our strikers are similar and hes the only genuine big lump we have in the last few minutes to throw the ball into the box too . Not saying hes any good but maybe what Carlos is thinking 

It must be that because it's not for his goals. 

3 minutes ago, Maxine said:

I keep changing my mind on FF and JR see how they do next few games but I'd love to see Winall get a chance. I can't understand why Nuhiu is still here though.

No one's going to pay good money for him so for what we'd get he offers something nobody else does. I'm not entirely sure what it is but it's some kind of strange magic.

Edited by TrueOwl

Guest Maxine
Just now, TrueOwl said:

No one's going to pay good money for him so for what we'd get he offers something nobody else doesn't. I'm not entirely sure what it is but it's a strange kind of magic.

I agree it's strange alright. :rolleyes:

Just now, TrueOwl said:

No one's going to pay good money for him so for what we'd get he offers something nobody else doesn't. I'm not entirely sure what it is but it's a strange kind of magic.

In fairness and not wishing to de rail the FF JR point , Atdhe has offered something in the last five when defending a slim lead but other than that hes not exactly a raving success story 

2 hours ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

Surely we could get rid of FF for £10m in today's market?

I'd prefer to keep Rhodes and stop having to sacrifice having a second proper striker on the field so FF can be shoehorned in up top.

Also, loads of fringe players to go first. 

Agreed. If FF is suddenly incapable of doing his defensive duties playing wide left then I don't really see that he has a place in the starting 11. I'd have Fletch, Hooper and Rhodes all ahead of him as part of a front 2. In that case he's basically reduced to a super sub.

If we could get 10 million for a super sub and bring in 3 quality first teamer's then I would consider it.

There is a perfectly sensible discussion to be had about whether we should winnow out our collection of forwards, and in particular about (a) FF (b) Rhodes.  The Nuhiu question is a sideshow.  CC clearly and rightly doesn't rate him highly enough for him to be a consistent starter; but does (less clearly but in my view still rightly) rate him as a bench option.  Advantages to offloading him are marginal both in finance and tactical terms.  Potentially big calls could be made, but Nuhiu isn't it.

The more interesting forwards question is perhaps Joao, who unlike Nuhiu was signed for a fee and with apparent top end championship material, but seemingly hasn't trained on.  Is that rescuable?  One wonders

Just now, thewookieisdown said:

There is a perfectly sensible discussion to be had about whether we should winnow out our collection of forwards, and in particular about (a) FF (b) Rhodes.  The Nuhiu question is a sideshow.  CC clearly and rightly doesn't rate him highly enough for him to be a consistent starter; but does (less clearly but in my view still rightly) rate him as a bench option.  Advantages to offloading him are marginal both in finance and tactical terms.  Potentially big calls could be made, but Nuhiu isn't it.

The more interesting forwards question is perhaps Joao, who unlike Nuhiu was signed for a fee and with apparent top end championship material, but seemingly hasn't trained on.  Is that rescuable?  One wonders

Great point and Joao is another different option 

Guest Copthorneowl
30 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Agreed. If FF is suddenly incapable of doing his defensive duties playing wide left then I don't really see that he has a place in the starting 11. I'd have Fletch, Hooper and Rhodes all ahead of him as part of a front 2. In that case he's basically reduced to a super sub.

If we could get 10 million for a super sub and bring in 3 quality first teamer's then I would consider it.

His defensive duties!!!!

FF consistently robs defenders of the ball in their area in in the third of the pitch we attack. Conversely our so called wingbacks and midfielders cannot seem to find the energy and effort to get in the opponents box to offer support or help in that final third.

Hes doing more to get the ball off the opposition than our midfielders are in an offensive role.

FF does not in my opinion need to track back given that around 8 of our players never seem capable of crossing the half way line in either creating chances or supporting the front men - this has been accepted by all and sundry for the whole of last season. Ffs Lets keep our best player in an offensive role I'd be the first to say he'd be a waste of time tracking back to defend and given we lack pace in all areas who would ever get upfield to get in the box.

Edited by Copthorneowl

18 minutes ago, Tyto Alba said:

Just get rid of Joao and Nuhiu.  Joao has not delivered at this level and never will.

I can't help thinking on the basis of that first six months that there is a player there.  It really is true that in Nov 2015 there was tabloid speculation that a premier league club would come in for Joao.  That is probably a minority view.

If you're saying "just" lose these two, then essentially you're saying live with the status quo.  It's very much a marginal change.  Probably the right call, though

16 minutes ago, Copthorneowl said:

His defensive duties!!!!

FF consistently robs defenders of the ball in their area in in the third of the pitch we attack. Conversely our so called wingbacks and midfielders cannot seem to find the energy and effort to get in the opponents box to offer support or help in that final third.

Hes doing more to get the ball off the opposition than our midfielders are in an offensive role.

FF does not in my opinion need to track back given that around 8 of our players never seem capable of crossing the half way line in either creating chances or supporting the front men - this has been accepted by all and sundry for the whole of last season. Ffs Lets keep our best player in an offensive role I'd be the first to say he'd be a waste of time tracking back to defend and given we lack pace in all areas who would ever get upfield to get in the box.

I think you've missed the point. It's FF and Carlos who have said this not me.

27 minutes ago, Tyto Alba said:

Just get rid of Joao and Nuhiu.  Joao has not delivered at this level and never will.

It wouldn't help us much even if we could. They wouldn't attract much of a fee and won't be on much in the way of wages. Plus we'd have to find a taker.

1 minute ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I bet these people who are happy to see FF go in favour of keeping plodders like Rhodes, Fletcher and Hooper, are the same ones who preferred Booth over DiCanio. 

:duntmatter:

By all means stick up for Nando, but why on earth you have to do it by describing good players like Rhodes, Fletcher and Hooper as plodders is beyond me.