2 CENTRE BACKS?!

5 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Got the impression we tried to sign a centre half last season but the ones we wanted weren't available/went elsewhere.

An error would have been signing someone for the sake of it!

Cough....Sasso

42 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Free transfer for one season - the cheapest of cheap cover. He also wasn't as a risk as he'd filled in fine the season before.

I'm talking about buying Hanley for £6m and £50k a week out of desperation.

Sasso was excellent business.

No, Sasso did what he was asked to do. However, he didn't address the areas of concern for which I presume we wanted Hanley. That aerial weakness went unaddressed, if not for the want of trying, maybe

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No, Sasso did what he was asked to do. However, he didn't address the areas of concern for which I presume we wanted Hanley. That aerial weakness went unaddressed, if not for the want of trying, maybe

So, if Sasso did what he asked to do and was a free transfer for a season, then that's good business, right?

Perhaps no-one was available to address areas of concern (who's concerns were these BTW, yours or Carlos'?) and we decided not to just go and buy anyone given we had Lees, Loovens, Hutchinson and Sasso available to keep another impressive clean sheet haul for a third successive season?

Hmmm, that is unlikely, surely Hanley wasn't the only player who could fill that role. They were definitely my concerns, whether they were Carlos's, I don't know. The fact that we were willing to pay over £4m for a centre back whose main attribute, is his aerial prowess, indicates that they probably were. That we still conceded a disproportionate amount of goals to headers in the six yard box, tells me failing to address the problem was costly Maybe the difference between play offs and automatics

Edited by gurujuan

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Hmmm, that is unlikely, surely Hanley wasn't the only player who could fill that role. They were definitely my concerns, whether they were Carlos's, I don't know. The fact that we were willing to pay over £4m for a centre back whose main attribute, is his aerial prowess, indicates that they probably were. That we still conceded a disproportionate amount of goals to headers in the six yard box, tells me failing to address the problem was costly Maybe the difference between play offs and automatics

Who else would have filled that role and was available? We don't know. What we do now is if a player we want is available then we are usually pretty good at getting them. Sadly, not vs Newcastle and we can all understand why that is the case. The only reason for not buying a centre half of real quality in the summer, that seems obvious, is one wasn't available that Carlos wanted/could get.

Headers in the 6 yard box are goalkeeper territory for me, so would a Hanley type have even helped in those situations? Relying on defenders to clear the ball 6 yards out if a bad situation to be in!

Not sure our defence was the difference between play-offs and top 2 - I think that was simply down to our players having the shackles on too much.

39 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Who else would have filled that role and was available? We don't know. What we do now is if a player we want is available then we are usually pretty good at getting them. Sadly, not vs Newcastle and we can all understand why that is the case. The only reason for not buying a centre half of real quality in the summer, that seems obvious, is one wasn't available that Carlos wanted/could get.

Headers in the 6 yard box are goalkeeper territory for me, so would a Hanley type have even helped in those situations? Relying on defenders to clear the ball 6 yards out if a bad situation to be in!

Not sure our defence was the difference between play-offs and top 2 - I think that was simply down to our players having the shackles on too much.

No I'm not suggesting it was, however, once Carlos had decided this was the way we were going to play, keeping it tight, and trying to nick a goal, then goals conceded became very important. We didn't actually concede very many, so cutting out the main source of those that we did concede, could have been worth a lot of points

Just now, gurujuan said:

No I'm not suggesting it was, however, once Carlos had decided this was the way we were going to play, keeping it tight, and trying to nick a goal, then goals conceded became very important. We didn't actually concede very many, so cutting out the main source of those that we did concede, could have been worth a lot of points

Interesting perspective. I think if we had signed a beast central defender then we'd have been a more attacking team, so the development from Carlos' first season would be improving defensively whilst scoring more goals - usually equals more points (worked to an extent I guess). He obviously knows the current defence has a certain vulnerability and I wonder if that's why we changed our style?

51 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Interesting perspective. I think if we had signed a beast central defender then we'd have been a more attacking team, so the development from Carlos' first season would be improving defensively whilst scoring more goals - usually equals more points (worked to an extent I guess). He obviously knows the current defence has a certain vulnerability and I wonder if that's why we changed our style?

Hopefully he'll find the right balance at the third time of asking We're not far off

We need a proper ball playing (not in that way :duntmatter:) centre half next season. 

If you want to play a possession based style then you need someone comfortable in possession. Rate both Lees and Loovens but neither are exactly comfortable when trying to start an attack. 

39 minutes ago, A12owl said:

What we need is for Carlos to get his tactics right. Frighten the opposition with fast attacking football ( follow Tottenhams example) .We have all said that we have most of the players at the club for the attack. Need creativity and a direct midfielder and give him the job of feeding 2 goal hungry forwards . Will Carlos change the style? Hope DC reminded him of his requirement when he joined.Attacking exciting football.

Tottenham have a sound defensive platform in midfield, and one striker. That platform allows the creative players to do what they do best. Because we don't have that platform, we compromise our attacking ambitions by giving our front players too many defensive duties

When at Chelsea, Hutchinson was being touted as the next John Terry so I would imagine he may be one of the centerbacks next season. I was always impressed when he played there last season, he read the game superbly AND hardly ever got booked. He's confident on the ball and can bring it out to play others in. If he isn't going to be used in this position and only as backup then a real beast of a defender should be signed (I quite like Harlee Dean at Brentford, don't think he would be too expensive)

Edited by gableratchet
spelling mistake

Just get Kyle Bartley or Bruno Manga plus upgrade our full backs/wing backs with pace. Build from the back. Could do with a midfield beast too and a winger. Pace; height, creativity and power are what we lack and need to address. Sort those areas out and it could be our year.