-----------Lee------Bannan---------

??????---------------------Forestieri

------------Hooper/Rhodes----------

OR

--------------Westwood----------------

????-----Lees-----Hutchinson----????

Wallace---?????-----Lee/Bannan--????

-------------Hooper---Rhodes-----------

Far easier to recruit for a 4-3-3 system next year, but a few strikers would need to leave. If we are to stick with a 4-4-2, we'll need far more players, but would perhaps need to get rid of only one striker. 

Decisions, decisions.

45 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Hutch without a doubt would be a starter 

Not in my team he wouldn't. Excellent footballer but as a CM plays too deep in a 442. And he's not good enough or key enough to "build a midfield " around. (Hate that expression).

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

if we are lucky that team might scrape into the play offs.

Not sure why.

Apart from Reach for Pudil and FF for Reach, it's the shape and names at the base of six wins in six.

I think it would score more than this season's 60 goals, concede no more than this season's 45, and lose less than this season's 13.

And boy would it be more pleasurable to watch!

Edited by Holmowl

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Not sure why.

Apart from Reach for Pudil and FF for Reach, it's the shape and names at the base of six wins in six.

I think it would score more than this season's 60 goals, concede no more than this season's 45, and lose less than this season's 13.

And boy would it be more pleasurable to watch!

Bannan and Lee in the middle? We will not get promotion with these two together as the last two seasons have shown.

And Reach at left back? He can't tackle or head the ball and another that Carlos has spoilt.

Edited by Ronnie Starling

It depends what our aim is if its automatic bigger decisions need to be taken around some popular players and the formation.I'd go something like this

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

New

New

New 

Bannan

New

Reach

Hooper

Fletcher

For me Lee was really poor in both playoff games and would be one of the difficult decisions that need taking, he would get nowhere near the team at middlesborough ,newcastle ,Brighton, hull or Burnley. Forestieri needs to stay as an impact sub it doesn't really work with him in a two up front and he can only play wide left against poor teams at home.

Reach is still a big doubt but he does a job out there and has scope to get better. Wallace is a fine squad player but  hes getting older and we need genuine pace in the team somewhere and right wing is an easier place to do it than resigning our 5 mil man to the scrap heap, we should preserve at least next year.

Hunt and lees improved last year and  earned their place bannan was poor at times last season but is probably a little underated on here and was almost playing Huddersfield on his own in the second leg at times.

Fletch and hooper could form a good partnership if they can both stay fit.

The bench would hopefully look like this

New

Lee

Hutch

Winnall

Rhodes

Ff

Wallace

Loovens would still be good enough but not needed on the bench unless hutch was injured. We need a better number two and its time for the hound lads to get some proper game time elsewhere.

Might be harsh on a few players who are obviously good enough for a play off challenge but to move to the next level we need better and would need better in the prem anyway so might as well start planning now.

Edited by trask43

34 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Bannan and Lee in the middle? We will not get promotion with these two together as the last two seasons have shown.

And Reach at left back? He can't tackle or head the ball and another that Carlos has spoilt.

Genuinely, give me a handful of games where the Lee Bannan CM pairing failed.

29 minutes ago, trask43 said:

It depends what our aim is if its automatic bigger decisions need to be taken around some popular players and the formation.I'd go something like this

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

New

New

New 

Bannan

New

Reach

Hooper

Fletcher

For me Lee was really poor in both playoff games and would be one of the difficult decisions that need taking, he would get nowhere near the team at middlesborough ,newcastle ,Brighton, hull or Burnley. Forestieri needs to stay as an impact sub it doesn't really work with him in a two up front and he can only play wide left against poor teams at home.

Reach is still a big doubt but he does a job out there and has scope to get better. Wallace is a fine squad player but  hes getting older and we need genuine pace in the team somewhere and right wing is an easier place to do it than resigning our 5 mil man to the scrap heap, we should preserve at least next year.

Hunt and lees improved last year and  earned their place bannan was poor at times last season but is probably a little underated on here and was almost playing Huddersfield on his own in the second leg at times.

Fletch and hooper could form a good partnership if they can both stay fit.

The bench would hopefully look like this

New

Lee

Hutch

Winnall

Rhodes

Ff

Wallace

Loovens would still be good enough but not needed on the bench unless hutch was injured. We need a better number two and its time for the hound lads to get some proper game time elsewhere.

Might be harsh on a few players who are obviously good enough for a play off challenge but to move to the next level we need better and would need better in the prem anyway so might as well start planning now.

Really good pst.

But I wouldn't worry about the Prem. We need a side capable of getting out of our division. What happens after is a new world.

3 minutes ago, everydays_wednesday said:

Pace needed please.....sadly lacking....!

Absolutely. This for me is the missing piece. We may need a commanding centre back and maybe full backs need a look but some pace in the channels is really critical. By extra time on Wed night udders just kept banging into their nippy  winger, especially on their right and we kept getting thrown on the back foot again and again. We've missed this. 

Westwood

Lees        Lascelles       

Yedlin                                     Reach

Hutch

Lee          Abdi           FF

Rhodes       Hooper

Get a fast skill full winger also to switch it up, I believe Carlos has tried to get one in but the ones that have come have not shown him in training what they can do.

Edited by don'tCallMeOwlCallYo

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Burton Birmingham away

Leeds Ipswich home

All four we stupidly played 3 CMs. Horribly lop-sided play that stifled any ability to attack down both flanks.

Ipswich was Lee and Jones. Not Lee and Bannan.

Can you find a couple of Lee Bannan CM games where we played two wingers and it failed? I know one...PNE away last year, where we were nil-nil till we went down to ten men. Crap performance I agree, but I'm not suggesting we will win 46/46.

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

All four we stupidly played 3 CMs. Horribly lop-sided play that stifled any ability to attack down both flanks.

Ipswich was Lee and Jones. Not Lee and Bannan.

Can you find a couple of Lee Bannan CM games where we played two wingers and it failed? I know one...PNE away last year, where we were nil-nil till we went down to ten men. Crap performance I agree, but I'm not suggesting we will win 46/46.

Ipswich you are correct but Brighton at home is an example of where it failed. Wallace and Reach were the wingers in that game.

I would seriously think about changing the formation to a 3-5-2. 

Westwood 

New    Lees    Hutchinson 

New     Lee     Bannan   Abdi    Forresteiri

Rhodes   Hooper

Subs

Wildsmith 

Loovens 

Puddl 

Reach 

Wallace

Winnall 

Fletcher

So.  Two quality additions needed and go again - PROVIDED - we can keep players. 

16 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Ipswich you are correct but Brighton at home is an example of where it failed. Wallace and Reach were the wingers in that game.

Fair play to you. I know from the Politics section how dogged you are.

But....doesn't it tell you something, that after looking really hard for a proper 442, with two wingers and Lee Bannan at CM, that you only found one defeat against the automatic promotion side?

Like I said earlier, we wouldn't win 46/46, but I think we would be a shoe-in for an auto spot.

13 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Fair play to you. I know from the Politics section how dogged you are.

But....doesn't it tell you something, that after looking really hard for a proper 442, with two wingers and Lee Bannan at CM, that you only found one defeat against the automatic promotion side?

Like I said earlier, we wouldn't win 46/46, but I think we would be a shoe-in for an auto spot.

There have been other games where we have played Bannan Lee Hutchinson and Wallace in the same side and it hasn't worked. Lee puts a lot of effort in but doesn't dominate or control the midfield. I suppose I don't think we have ever replaced Carlton Palmer who was a true box to box midfielder.