Team for Next Season

53 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Great post.

Fletcher - I agree he is the only one we have who can play the lone-striker, but dont you agree he has been far more successful, and the team has been far more successful, when he had a proper strike partner?

And do we need to switch systems? What did you see in the 442 with 2 CMs, 2 CFs and two wingers, for those six recent wins, that you didnt think was sustainable over a season? Neither Bannan-Lee nor Bannan-Jones got overrun during three tough homes and three tough aways.

Your preferred midfield never got a kick at Huddersfield and the team therefore rarely got over the halfway line.

Not strong enough.

The real test comes against the teams at the top of the table in important games and that midfield is not good enough 

57 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Great post.

Fletcher - I agree he is the only one we have who can play the lone-striker, but dont you agree he has been far more successful, and the team has been far more successful, when he had a proper strike partner?

And do we need to switch systems? What did you see in the 442 with 2 CMs, 2 CFs and two wingers, for those six recent wins, that you didnt think was sustainable over a season? Neither Bannan-Lee nor Bannan-Jones got overrun during three tough homes and three tough aways.

The games we won were mainly against mid table teams with nothing to play for. If we had played some great stuff, taken a few of those teams to the cleaners  your point would be more valid.

V rotherham we played three strikers. I went to QPR and they just looked like a team there for the beating and we really struggled to put them away. 

The other point is that when we come up against a team with a quality, strong midfield three we struggle to get a hold on the game. Hull and now Huddersfield have taught us this lesson. We need to learn from it.

12 minutes ago, lee81 said:

LINEUP111495270766895.png.9523f6983b10ebcf0cb1678ca0ecfd56.png

Play a 433 to get the most out of our two best players in FF and Abdi.

Sign a proper CDM to allow hutch to play in his best position.

Sign a RW with pace. 

If finances allow upgrade both full backs. 

I don't even disagree with this concept

But what happens to Rhodes, Hooper and Winnall? Neither of them can really play that well in a one up top. 

And we will absolutely not be dropping Hunt with the wages he's on, so we at least don't have to look for another RB

20 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

For me the issue with regards Bannan and Lee in midfield is that over a longer run if games it is an incredible strain with  the work load against a three. Unless you have a freak of nature like N'Golo Kanté! Of course I know that over a season you can rest players etc.  

The other thing is the wide players have also been doing an incredible amount of defensive tracking, covering, tucking in, cutting out angles. And this has led to them being accused of not doing their jobs which people think is just waiting on the touchline for the ball, beating a man and putting a cross in! 

There's many threads on here where people are demanding two flying wingers. 

The truth is though that Wallace et tal can put crosses in. Home game early in the season. (Got Bristol in my head) Wallace, by accident or design Wallace kept popping up on the left and put a serious of absolutely superb crosses and cute passes into the box ( a lot from the left!) But we were chasing down a deficit so he was allowed to do that. Usually they aren't given that licence.

Secondly. Bannan has taken some real pelters this season (and I hold my hands up. I have been frustrated he hasn't hit last seasons heights) but I do think that part of the issue has been that he's been having to drop back and receive the ball from the defence . I find that hugely, hugely frustrating  as I'm sure the player does to be honest when one of your best assess in midfield is dropping 30 yards down the pitch to take a 1 yard pass off a centre half. 

As for the team next season. As i mentioned in another thread, I hope we going looking for players of the right fit.  Players who bring the right tools for the job rather than a 'name'.  

Another great post. I was thinking exactly the same that if we stick with 4-4-2 we need a Kante in midfield and we would also need a hard working centre forward that was lightening quick like Vardy.

17 minutes ago, lee81 said:

LINEUP111495270766895.png.9523f6983b10ebcf0cb1678ca0ecfd56.png

Play a 433 to get the most out of our two best players in FF and Abdi.

Sign a proper CDM to allow hutch to play in his best position.

Sign a RW with pace. 

If finances allow upgrade both full backs. 

4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I don't even disagree with this concept

But what happens to Rhodes, Hooper and Winnall? Neither of them can really play that well in a one up top. 

Exactly.

Ex- bloody- actly.

The scattergun signging of centre forwards has backed us into a corner tactically. 

Chansiri: Quick word please Carlos

Carlos : Hi Dejphon.

Chansiri : I'm not being funny mate but I've spunked the best part of £15m plus wages on strikers and you're playing one up front. 

Carlos : My preferred system.

Chansiri: Well. I've bought em. I want to see em on the pitch. You do it. Or I'll find someone who will. 

Think we may see Hutchinson centre back again next season. Think Carlos is going to go all Arsene Wenger on us and rip everything he has done in the past up and play 3 at the back. 

Let's face it when Hutch plays he ends up between the centre backs all game anyway so we might aswell create a system that let's him stay there so it benefits us.

Some horrible choices of signings in here. 

Lascelles :tango: because Newcastle are really going to sell their captain!

Jota, Yeah a decent player but putting him and Fessi on the wings like 2 people have suggested, would crucify whoever plays full backs.

Lewis Baker, wasn't good enough 2 years ago for us, Has he improved that much? No. 

Tarkowski/Fraser, They are not going to drop down from Premier League clubs when theyve played regular.

Time for a reality check

Westwood

wildsmith

hunt

new right

lees

sasso

hutchinson*

new centre back (possibly 2) 

new left back

pudil

wallace

new right mid (mcmanaman?) 

lee

bannon

hutchinson*

abdi

jones

(possibly get rid of jones and another cm)

reach 

Forestieri*

New winger

hooper

rhodes

winnal

fletcher

forestieri*

joao (probably send out on loan again) 

Edited by bennyboyswfc99
Spelling mistake