Nuhiu to get the best out of Rhodes

2 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Winnall has scored 12 goals this season, Nuhiu hasn't scored for a calendar year.

We are not talking about Nuhiu's goal threat though are we. I put that as long as you don;t expect him to score loads of goals in my original comment.

Don't get me wrong, get where you are coming from, Nuhiu has got negatives, but he still does something that our other strikers cannot do. Which is why the stats back up the fact we are more productive with him in the team - and the question has been asked specifically in this post, could he get the best out of Rhodes? 

6 minutes ago, philswiz said:

We are not talking about Nuhiu's goal threat though are we. I put that as long as you don;t expect him to score loads of goals in my original comment.

Don't get me wrong, get where you are coming from, Nuhiu has got negatives, but he still does something that our other strikers cannot do. Which is why the stats back up the fact we are more productive with him in the team - and the question has been asked specifically in this post, could he get the best out of Rhodes? 

Explain what he does for other strikers other than make them look good. He has done nothing for a long time now and this season has been hauled off. He couldn't even inspire us to beat Cambridge earlier in the season but that comes as no surprise when he couldn't even get the better of Macclesfield in two games.

My original post in this thread is below, this thread is asking if Nuhiu could help Rhodes score goals. 

If you accept that Nuhiu will not score lots of goals, will frustrate the fans at time and is a worse footballer than Winnall or Fletcher, then the benefits of having him on the pitch are:

Team spirit (everyone seems to love playing with him)

Hard work (blood to water every game)

He upsets opposition defenses (nightmare to play against, he doesn't always know what he wants to do..)

He adds a nuisance factor (as a team we do tend to score more when he plays)

3 minutes ago, philswiz said:

The stats do not back that up if you actually look at them.  Somebody came up with it and people keep quoting it, but it is completely incorrect.

My opinion of Nuhiu is that I think we seem to play with 10 men when he's on. He takes us several yards back on the pitch, concedes too many free kicks (rightly or wrongly) and is very easy to defend against. If I was the opposing defender I'd know he can't beat me for pace, can't turn very quick and if he did manage to get a 1 in 10 header I'd fall to the ground and get the free-kick. 

If I was an opposing manager/ defender I'd love it if he played as he is completely ineffective and is a negative effect on the team

Passsion is not enough, if it is I'll bring my boots.

The one that can get the best out of Rhodes is Winnall, why some are obsessed in bringing back somebody that has been useless for the last 3 seasons beggars belief

If we are continuing to play the way we are which is the long ball quickly from back to front we need a better target man than Rhodes. Whilst I agree that Fletcher and Winnall are better footballers than Nuhiu, he does add something that no-one else does in our squad.

Actually agree that it would seem like a step backwards, but I am not convinced that Nuhiu alongside Rhodes could make Rhodes more productive then a Fletcher or Winnall / Rhodes partnership. I am certain that in the Fletcher or Winnall / Rhodes partnership the 'other striker' would score more than Nuhiu does as well.     

Don't get the hate for Nuhiu either..... 

1 hour ago, philswiz said:

My original post in this thread is below, this thread is asking if Nuhiu could help Rhodes score goals. 

If you accept that Nuhiu will not score lots of goals, will frustrate the fans at time and is a worse footballer than Winnall or Fletcher, then the benefits of having him on the pitch are:

He upsets opposition defenses (nightmare to play against, he doesn't always know what he wants to do..)

Not withstanding that the facts you mention are wrong then here's plan B

If you accept that he will not save any shots, or catch any crosses then we could play him instead of Westwood, the benefits of this would be

He upsets opposition attackers (nightmare to play against, he doesn't always know what he wants to do..)

Rhodes needs pace next to him or defences will play a high line restricting our space.

Like has been said its the tactics of a narrow midfield, no pace on the flanks, favouritism with likes of wallace, lack of starts/chances for our only proper winger in macca, lack of crosses and an over reliance on average full backs to cross that is the main problem in us scoring goals.

It was even said by many non experts (fans) that rhodes would not solve this problem alone too.

The midfield, wide midfield in particular is the problem imo.

Id prefer both wide men, 1 cm & both fb's to attack & not have 4 defensive cm's in our sort of 4-1-3-2, but would settle for 2 in say hutch & bannan letting macca & abdi go forward in a proper 4-4-1-1.

Wwood

Hunt lees loovy reach

Mac Hutch abdi bannan

fessi 

Rhodes

He could switch fessi left and bring on hooper/winnall or have wallace left, but macca has to start on right imo

Edited by Ash77

Rhodes does need help, that's clear to see. Too often he's looked totally isolated up front and needs a man alongside him to link up play with the midfield. I'd like to think Winnall can do it but it remains to be proven - that would be my preferred option. However, as much as we know goal scoring doesn't really fall into Nuhiu's skill set, holding up play and linking into a strike partner does. 

18 hours ago, 33 said:

More points with Adthe in the team

FACT

Rhodes will be steaming with the big lad at the side of him, playing him in and adding focus to the important link-up play that we are missing between midfield and attack.

Can't argue with facts.

FACT

For me some pace out wide on both flanks, with crossing ability .So that's McManaman and FF. With Hooper linking with Rhodes and midfield of Abdi and Bannan providing creativity and additional attacking threat. Keep Bannan away from defensive duties, with Hutch or Jones providing defensive cover. Get the full backs (Reach and Hunt) up to support their wide men when attacking, not necessarily providing the main threat out wide, giving the wide midfield a little more freedom to run at defences. Just my thinking mind.

7 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

For me some pace out wide on both flanks, with crossing ability .So that's McManaman and FF. With Hooper linking with Rhodes and midfield of Abdi and Bannan providing creativity and additional attacking threat. Keep Bannan away from defensive duties, with Hutch or Jones providing defensive cover. Get the full backs (Reach and Hunt) up to support their wide men when attacking, not necessarily providing the main threat out wide, giving the wide midfield a little more freedom to run at defences. Just my thinking mind.

Hooper is out injured and has been for some time, change it for Winnall and I'm with ya

19 hours ago, 33 said:

Has to be said that everyone has seemed to have a better strike rate when paired with our Atdhe

The team also returns more points per game with the big fella starting

Not interested in the arguments that we have better players, because I know we do, but we have a better performing team with him in it

Bring back Big Dave

Certainly worth thinking about.

In not a huge fan of Nuhiu's technical ability, but he makes a nuisance of himself and will draw players to him leaving more space for Rhodes to do his thang.