£10m down the pan

The issue is that CC will feel he must play him and when he does that he uses him as the target man/foil for a Winnall or FF. That isn't Rhodes' strength as he is better at reading the flick ons from a target man himself. 

That said though, I think he's a little rusty too. It will take him time to get back to what he was and click in a new team. He wasn't near any of the chances vs Brentford, didn't read Reach's good cross to the back stick yesterday and missed a penalty. He isn't blameless.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The thing is, after thirty odd games, this is our approach, this is the way we are going to play. If so, is Jordan Rhodes a good signing? Never mind whether he might be if we played things differently, with the way we play now, in my opinion, he would be a complete waste of money. Ignore what he has done in the past, or what he might do in a different set up, and ask yourself, is he worth his place in the team? He clearly isn't 

If he isn't, who is? I don't think any of our current strikers have performed at a level that demands that they must start each game or shown that they fit into a perceived style ahead of others.

Edited by Bluesteel

36 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

If he isn't, who is? I don't think any of our current strikers have performed at a level that demands that they must start each game or shown that they fit into a perceived style ahead of others.

I can't really answer that. Given the way we play, I'd say the misfiring Joao was one of our better options. Nobody other than Forestieri is scoring, so at least the pace of Joao offers you something, even if that's just creating space for others. We also wouldn't have conceded those two goals against Brentford, had Joao been playing. In truth, we needed someone better than Joao, but who fitted into the way Carlos wants us to play. I hate the way we are playing, but if we are gonna play this way, we can't carry a player like Rhodes

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

While Ive already stated that I see Rhodes as more of a problem, than a solution, all the while we are playing this way. As we're now stuck with him, I do try and think of a solution  It seems that Carlos is not going to change the way we play ( though he has before) so is it possible to utilise Rhodes in this current system?

Edited by gurujuan

Just now, gurujuan said:

While Ive already stated that I see Rhodes as more of a problem, than a solution, all the while we are playing this way, as we're now stuck with him, I do try and think of a solution  It seems that Carlos is not going to change the way we play ( though he has before) so is it possible to utilise Rhodes in this current system?

I think it is yeah, we just need to concentrate on getting the ball in from wide positions and through the channels. If we need a target man play Fletcher there and have Rhodes off him. I'd also wonder whether FF could play an attacking mid role in Lee's absence, he has a good engine and can drive beyond the strikers, but whether he would spit his dummy out is another thing. 

We should be making more of players like Mcmanaman and Buckley too as they will free up space and prevent Rhodes from having to deal with 2/3 defenders.

19 hours ago, leicesterowl said:

We need to play to our strengths .. at present we look like 11 individuals with no real game plan ...if we do not change system we will not reach the play offs ..performances have been awful for ages but masked by grinding out results but once the results go against us there is nothing to fall back on ..and Rhodes confidence is being eroded every game 

Not to mention Winalls.

44 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think it is yeah, we just need to concentrate on getting the ball in from wide positions and through the channels. If we need a target man play Fletcher there and have Rhodes off him. I'd also wonder whether FF could play an attacking mid role in Lee's absence, he has a good engine and can drive beyond the strikers, but whether he would spit his dummy out is another thing. 

We should be making more of players like Mcmanaman and Buckley too as they will free up space and prevent Rhodes from having to deal with 2/3 defenders.

It might be worth a try, but I'd be very reluctant to move Forestieri, as he is the only one who is making things happen, and the only one who scores goals. That's a bit of a problem for Rhodes, as he ends up being the target man. All may not be lost though, could Rhodes play a similar role to the one that Hooper plays, when he plays with Forestieri? I don't think Rhodes has the awareness  of Hooper, when it comes to reading what Forestieri will do. Maybe this might come if we persist with the pairing, but Rhodes will have move around a bit more than he's currently doing. Still can't help thinking that all this is alien to Rhodes

Edited by gurujuan

20 hours ago, leicesterowl said:

We need to play to our strengths .. at present we look like 11 individuals with no real game plan ...if we do not change system we will not reach the play offs ..performances have been awful for ages but masked by grinding out results but once the results go against us there is nothing to fall back on ..and Rhodes confidence is being eroded every game 

Spot on mate its like watching a game of championship manager just put out 11 strong players who can't play at all as a team with no tactics, formations and any plan b. When sevilla played Leicester other day within five minutes the sevilla manager saw a problem and swopped things around, I just can't ever see Carlos doing this. He is like the championship version of venger. Moderate success but so completely stubborn and set in there ways......However venger knows best not to win things as premiership winners get sacked lol

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I can't really answer that. Given the way we play, I'd say the misfiring Joao was one of our better options. Nobody other than Forestieri is scoring, so at least the pace of Joao offers you something, even if that's just creating space for others. We also wouldn't have conceded those two goals against Brentford, had Joao been playing. In truth, we needed someone better than Joao, but who fitted into the way Carlos wants us to play. I hate the way we are playing, but if we are gonna play this way, we can't carry a player like Rhodes

We really are dragging the bottom of the pond when Joao is considered the solution.

We have 4 players, all capable of scoring 15-20 goals a season each, it is Kickaballs fault if he cannot weld them, and the rest, into a team.

31 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It might be worth a try, but I'd be very reluctant to move Forestieri, as he is the only one who is making things happen, and the only one who scores goals. That's a bit of a problem for Rhodes, as he ends up being the target man. All may not be lost though, could Rhodes play a similar role to the one that Hooper plays, when he plays with Forestieri? I don't think Rhodes has the awareness  of Hooper, when it comes to reading what Forestieri will do. Maybe this might come if we persist with the pairing, but Rhodes will have move around a bit more than he's currently doing. Still can't help thinking that all this is alien to Rhodes

Part of the problem we have is trying to accommodate players like Forestieri, Bannan, Abdi and Wallace, these players seem to be bullet proof and drop proof.

Here's a team to think about:

Westwood

Loovens                Hutch (capt)               Sasso/Lees

Palmer

Macmanamn       Abdi        Fessi            Reech

Rhodes          Winall

The thing is, after thirty odd games, this is our approach, this is the way we are going to play. If so, is Jordan Rhodes a good signing? Never mind whether he might be if we played things differently, with the way we play now, in my opinion, he would be a complete waste of money. Ignore what he has done in the past, or what he might do in a different set up, and ask yourself, is he worth his place in the team? He clearly isn't 

Fair point.

So replace him with whom?

Bearing in mind that none of our other strikers ever score a goal playing with FF?

Why try to replicate the Hooper-FF model, which has a dreadful goal scoring record?

48 minutes ago, owls_wawaw said:

Spot on mate its like watching a game of championship manager just put out 11 strong players who can't play at all as a team with no tactics, formations and any plan b. When sevilla played Leicester other day within five minutes the sevilla manager saw a problem and swopped things around, I just can't ever see Carlos doing this. He is like the championship version of venger. Moderate success but so completely stubborn and set in there ways......However venger knows best not to win things as premiership winners get sacked lol

Got to disagree. Watching us is nowhere near as good as watching a game of Championship Manager.

(Insert Sid James here cos I am an old fart technophobe who would crash the site if I tried)

21 hours ago, shandypants said:

Mr Chansiri needn't have thrown £10m down the sh1tter. If he wanted to sign a forward that his manager can't create chances for then he could have signed me for nothing. I feel sorry for Rhodes. He ought to bring a picnic blanket and sandwiches with him next match because he's become redundant with the way we play

On positive note, if we're still in this division next year, Rhodes will be a big attraction to any potential managers DC is interested in so every cloud 

On 25/02/2017 at 14:31, shandypants said:

Mr Chansiri needn't have thrown £10m down the sh1tter. If he wanted to sign a forward that his manager can't create chances for then he could have signed me for nothing. I feel sorry for Rhodes. He ought to bring a picnic blanket and sandwiches with him next match because he's become redundant with the way we play

I saw one brilliant cross from Reach behind the Leeds defence that just needed touching over the line. I also saw Rhodes head another good cross over the bar just after his penalty miss. there were other good crosses into the box as well. the fact we lost yesterday was nothing to do with the lack of crosses into the box.