Excuses

The best two second half performances all season have been against Bristol City and Brentford. In each we were 0-2 down at half time. Result we had to adopt a more attacking cavalier, approach and we have the players to do it. In short we resort to playing more like last season. What a pity we don't do this until we've given our opponents a lead. Last night we had enough chances in the last quarter of the match to win the match which makes all this talk of tiredness hard to fathom as it is in the latter stages it should work against us.

4 hours ago, Owling Wolfe said:

This is not a dig at Carlos in any way because regardless of last nights results and recent performances we are so much better than we have been for a long, long time BUT, I wish he would give over with the excuses about playing more often than out opponents. We didn't look tired in the second half when chasing the game did we? If a professional footballer on £30K a week can't put two 2 hour shifts in a week then they need to look at themselves. We were poor first half, along with the worst ref I've seen at S6 for some time. We need to start playing from the first minute not the 46th.

Rant over

I agree we shouldn't be using tiredness as an excuse.

However it does my head in when people go on about how players shouldn't get tired simply because they earn a lot of money. This completely misses the point. Anyone who has competed a reasonable level at any physical sport knows that fatigue does affect performance. It has nothing to do with whether you can play multiple times a week. All professional players should be able to do this. But full recovery takes time. And if you are not fully recovered it will affect your performance. 

I used to run at a half decent level. I would train everyday and would have no problems doing this. But if I raced on a Sunday I would not be able to race again mid week at the same level. Yes of course I could physically do the race but not at the same level. That's just how the body works. Just because you are a professional athlete and just because you happen to have a big pay packet doesn't mean you can escape the realities of nature.

Even if the supposed psychology works against us and with hindsight (or foresight for some) it is a bit annoying then I'm sorry, nobody's perfect, he ticks as many boxes for me as any of my previous favourite managers and they had their little faults too at times.

It's a results based buisiness and he gets them most of the time.

Some of our fans expect too much both on and off the pitch.  Probably the same fans moaning and groaning at games every two minutes and then complaining about the atmosphere.

Some of our fans are conditioned to dross and failure.  They can't cope with unconditional support unless we're garbage.

We had a bad night, it happens.

Next up Leeds at theirs live on telly and our type of game.  

Much rather have Our Carlos than their miserable fishfacedfucker.

I completely agree with other posts that CC needs to drop all this talk about too many games and players being tired. Even if there was some validity in his comments, it would actually work in our favour over the whole season due to the size and quality of our squad. In reality he talks about too many games and player fatigue before and after games and he's just giving the players an excuse.

He would be far better served if he focused on the quality and fitness of our squad and about how our players are prepared for successive games. CC needs to realise it's the same for all teams and that fortunately we've got the squad to cope so let's take advantage.

We should be taking the game to a team like Brentford from the off as they would not have lived with us if we had started like we finished.

Fair enough be cautious again a Newcastle or something with players like Gayle and Ritchie to hurt you but don't sit back at home to Brentford.

I think Carlos will learn from it though and next home game we will come out of the blocks quicker 

1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

I agree we shouldn't be using tiredness as an excuse.

However it does my head in when people go on about how players shouldn't get tired simply because they earn a lot of money. This completely misses the point. Anyone who has competed a reasonable level at any physical sport knows that fatigue does affect performance. It has nothing to do with whether you can play multiple times a week. All professional players should be able to do this. But full recovery takes time. And if you are not fully recovered it will affect your performance. 

I used to run at a half decent level. I would train everyday and would have no problems doing this. But if I raced on a Sunday I would not be able to race again mid week at the same level. Yes of course I could physically do the race but not at the same level. That's just how the body works. Just because you are a professional athlete and just because you happen to have a big pay packet doesn't mean you can escape the realities of nature.

Whilst I agree with what you say it's only 4hrs a week at full pelt. I'm 55 and last year I completed a 1000 mile cycle ride from Lands End to John OGroats in 11 days so I can't accept that 20-30 year olds can't do 4hrs a week hard graft.

6 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Whilst I agree with what you say it's only 4hrs a week at full pelt. I'm 55 and last year I completed a 1000 mile cycle ride from Lands End to John OGroats in 11 days so I can't accept that 20-30 year olds can't do 4hrs a week hard graft.

I think you are missing my point slightly. It's not about what they can or can't do. I have no doubt all our players could play a game every day of the week if they had to. 

The issue is about how recovered they would be and how this would affect performance. If we play on a Saturday and then a Wednesday the players might be 95% recovered. That would mean they are more than capable of playing a full 90 minutes without any issues. But in a tight game where there is not much between the 2 sides, that 5% could still be the difference between a win and a defeat.

Just think if you'd had to do that 1000 mile cycle again a week later. Do you think you could have done it? And if the answer if the answer is yes do you think you would have been able to do it as quickly and as easily as the first time? 

10 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

I think you are missing my point slightly. It's not about what they can or can't do. I have no doubt all our players could play a game every day of the week if they had to. 

The issue is about how recovered they would be and how this would affect performance. If we play on a Saturday and then a Wednesday the players might be 95% recovered. That would mean they are more than capable of playing a full 90 minutes without any issues. But in a tight game where there is not much between the 2 sides, that 5% could still be the difference between a win and a defeat.

Just think if you'd had to do that 1000 mile cycle again a week later. Do you think you could have done it? And if the answer if the answer is yes do you think you would have been able to do it as quickly and as easily as the first time? 

Had I got the time off work I would seriously have done the return leg, I can't say how I would have felt because even on the same route there would be differences. I take your point though but isn't that why we have such a large and very talented squad. We managed to recover overnight after some gruelling rides, and the youngest was in his 40's. I just think using the "tired" excuse after every bad performance is wearing a bit thin. I am just a normal bloke, they are supposed to be athletes.