'Borough roll call

51 minutes ago, pompeyowl said:

Screenshot_2017-01-01-14-47-48.png

An acronym is a form of abbreviation.

Well as you've said you hate me  just for posting a statement, I think the least I could offer is to counter your pedantry by stating that an acronym actually spells out a word i.e. LASER, NATO, SALT etc. Which incidentally is in your "Googled" explanation. An abbreviation is just a shortened version of a particular word. I don't dislike you for putting it on though. So Happy New Year old boy. 

1 minute ago, Bulldog said:

Well as you've said you hate me  just for posting a statement, I think the least I could offer is to counter your pedantry by stating that an acronym actually spells out a word i.e. LASER, NATO, SALT etc. Which incidentally is in your "Googled" explanation. An abbreviation is just a shortened version of a particular word. I don't dislike you for putting it on though. So Happy New Year old boy. 

You've just undid your own argument. Not only have you read the definition given incorrectly, but you've also said that "an abbreviation is just a shortened version of a particular word". You haven't shortened a word, you've shortened two names to make an acronym.

9 minutes ago, pompeyowl said:

You've just undid your own argument. Not only have you read the definition given incorrectly, but you've also said that "an abbreviation is just a shortened version of a particular word". You haven't shortened a word, you've shortened two names to make an acronym.

Not sure how JR has become an acronym  but I'll concede it if you go away - All this hubris from someone who has an abbreviation of a town as part of his username.

21 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

Not sure how JR has become an acronym  but I'll concede it if you go away - All this hubris from someone who has an abbreviation of a town as part of his username.

:tango:

Good god! Do you get anything right?! Which part of my username is an abbreviation? 

Pompey is not short for Portsmouth. It is a nickname for the city of which the sailors sailed from to capture the French ship of the same name.

Owl is not short for owl. It is the whole word.

I have also explained why JR is an acronym, so if it hasn't sunk in yet, there really is no point.

Edited by pompeyowl

5 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

You don't need to cite George Robertson I was being ironic and trying to inject some humour into proceedings - can we just leave it now and be friends??

This conversation has epitomised every friendship I've ever had. They don't like me either!