Why do you want FF as a striker?

13 hours ago, Babushka1867 said:

I'd go as far as to say why the fascination with him playing on the left? Surely being right footed he can go on the right, allowing Reach to play on the left?! I remember him playing wide right in a three for Watford against us and causing us problems, plus he scored against us too.

Also playing him as a striker nullifies a lot of his qualities. Playing him slightly deeper allows him to be facing his opponent and running at them. A lot of forward play these days is with the back to goal and no good for Fessi.

Definitely worth a run on the right now that we have Reach left wing.

Neither Wallace nor Buckley have pulled up any trees this season.

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

He seems to have taken Robbie Savege's advice o how to force a move as he appears to miss open goals on purpose and is disinterested to the point of being negligent.

This is gonna take some sorting, also Abdi et al. 

9 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Definitely worth a run on the right now that we have Reach left wing.

Neither Wallace nor Buckley have pulled up any trees this season.

How often have you seen Buckley play? He was fine at Blackburn.

FF should be either playing off Fletcher or on the bench.

Same as Hooper 

We have enough proper midfielders and wide players .

Carlos needs to get his act together, stop complicating things and play the best player for the position.

At the start of this thread I said 7 of FF's goals came as a striker last year. Just checked and I was wrong.

His 17 goals in a Wednesday shirt:-

• Starts as a striker 38
  • Goals as a striker 5 (Ful,Hull,Roth,Charl,Ips)

• Starts as LW 12
  • Goals as LW 6 (Wol2,Brum2,Bolt,Brent)

• Goals after switched from striker to deeper/wider mid-match 6 (For,Card,Charl,Hudds,Villa,Wig)

His last goal as a striker was in April v Ipswich, 17 league matches ago.

Prior to that, his last goal as a striker was away to Charlton, in early November.

As a striker his record for us, 5 in 38, is very poor. By contrast his record for us wider/deeper is unbelievably strong. First name on every team-sheet strong.

The sooner Carlos stops thinking of him as a striker and finds him a settled position in a wider/deeper role, the sooner we will see his true strengths return for the team.

Forest he was up top, Cardiff and Hudds away we weren't 442 so he was still a forward. He wasn't really playing left wing against Wigan, he was more of an attacking midfielder behind Hooper and Fletcher. 

So thats 4 straight away.

You fail to mention that most of his appearances as a forward have been alongside Hooper. Certainly not the best partner for him in individual terms. On top of that he played there against all the top sides and we set up more cautiously.

You also fail to mention before Hooper turned up, he'd scored 4 in 8 as a forward alongside Joao or Nuhiu. Players much closer to offering similar attributes to Fletcher than Hooper.

And what about assists? They're as good as goals. He's credited with 9 (he's set up many more unofficially), and with the exception of Birmingham away, every single one has been while playing as a forward. 

You're wrong. He's not better as a left winger. As a forward he presses high up the pitch, he pinches the ball from defenders and midfielders frequently, he offers great movement and an option in behind, and he creates more. Just because he's found the back of the net a bit more frequently while playing on the left, doesn't mean it's his best position. Team should always come first.

On 2 October 2016 at 11:26, Babushka1867 said:

I'd go as far as to say why the fascination with him playing on the left? Surely being right footed he can go on the right, allowing Reach to play on the left?! I remember him playing wide right in a three for Watford against us and causing us problems, plus he scored against us too.

Also playing him as a striker nullifies a lot of his qualities. Playing him slightly deeper allows him to be facing his opponent and running at them. A lot of forward play these days is with the back to goal and no good for Fessi.

In the games he played and scored against us he always seemed to cut in from the left?

He plays best in the pocket behind Fletcher. Whether or not he can play in the pocket behind Fletcher and Hooper, rather depends on the make up of the rest of the side. Without doubt though, Forestieri remains our best attacking player

Guest wilyfox
7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He plays best in the pocket behind Fletcher. Whether or not he can play in the pocket behind Fletcher and Hooper, rather depends on the make up of the rest of the side. Without doubt though, Forestieri remains our best attacking player

Yes, but not on current form. It would be Hooper and Fletcher right now, for me. So that would mean FF outwide, in behind, or on the bench. 

31 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

I think it's a mistake to view him as a striker.  He's not; he's a number ten who can play in "the hole" between midfield and attack or, as I hate Steve Bould says as a wide forward.

Agree he shouldn't be viewed as an out and out striker. He's very much a modern day forward. He can do a bit of everything. 

Just off the main striker in a 442 or any of the 3 spots behind in a 4231.

He certainly shouldn't be used as a conventional left winger in a 442. 

35 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Yes, but not on current form. It would be Hooper and Fletcher right now, for me. So that would mean FF outwide, in behind, or on the bench. 

Agree, nobody should be guaranteed a starting place  Do have a certain amount of sympathy though, I know he's not reaching the levels of last season, but I watched him closely on Saturday. He does still make the runs, several times I saw him dart into space, but the ball never came, or by the time it did, he was offside. Not sure we should leave him out because even an off form Forestieri offers a lot more than Reach does On the evidence of Saturday anyway

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Agree, nobody should be guaranteed a starting place  Do have a certain amount of sympathy though, I know he's not reaching the levels of last season, but I watched him closely on Saturday. He does still make the runs, several times I saw him dart into space, but the ball never came, or by the time it did, he was offside. Not sure we should leave him out because even an off form Forestieri offers a lot more than Reach does On the evidence of Saturday anyway

At Carlos' discretion. Possibility of moving Reach to right wing? Seems versatile enough. Wallace isn't doing it for me at the moment. In my opinion, we need at least one direct wide player to run at the opposition. That means FF or Buckley; possibly Matias someday. One must start. 

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I thought he played ok in the first half Saturday. One of our few threats. Had the header that just went wide, set Reach up for his chance with a clever little ball, made some good runs, worked hard and put their defenders under pressure.

His performance suffered when he was pushed out wide, as it has done virtually everytime this season.